Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1016714 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6255 on: December 11, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »
Okay, I thought I knew all the acronyms used here but I've read a new in two separate posts now and can't guess from the context. What does JADE/JADE-ing mean? :-[

Also, I know DD, DS, DF and DH but I still get tripped up over DP - Dear Parter? Parent? Possum? :-\
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6256 on: December 11, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
Okay, I thought I knew all the acronyms used here but I've read a new in two separate posts now and can't guess from the context. What does JADE/JADE-ing mean? :-[

Also, I know DD, DS, DF and DH but I still get tripped up over DP - Dear Parter? Parent? Possum? :-\

Justify, Argue, Defend, Explain. Things you shouldn't do when trying to say no to someone.

DP is either Dear Parent or Dear Partner, depending on context. :)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #6257 on: December 11, 2012, 11:29:59 PM »

Justify, Argue, Defend, Explain. Things you shouldn't do when trying to say no to someone.

Ah thank you JADE makes sense now - I will try to remember that one, I like it.  :)

DP makes sense - all DHs are DPs but not all DPs are DHs...but I notice DW doesn't get used much on here...muse be 'cause all the Ws are perfect!  ;D ;)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6258 on: December 11, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »

Ah thank you JADE makes sense now - I will try to remember that one, I like it.  :)

DP makes sense - all DHs are DPs but not all DPs are DHs...but I notice DW doesn't get used much on here...muse be 'cause all the Ws are perfect!  ;D ;)

More likely because we're overwhelmingly women  ;D  The few of us women who have female partners tend to be pretty evenly split between using "DW" and "DP."

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6259 on: December 12, 2012, 01:22:47 AM »
Ultimate stupid question (though it's not a contest ;)):

In Star Trek (the movies), the Federation has a space dock for its ships.  Where do the Klingons and Romulans keep their spaceships?  Presumably in a spacedock of their own?

I would guess that the home planet of the Romulans is Romulus.  What is the Klingons' home planet?  Is it ever mentioned?

(I got to watching the movies tonight)

sunnygirl

« Reply #6260 on: December 12, 2012, 02:03:27 AM »
I would guess that the home planet of the Romulans is Romulus.  What is the Klingons' home planet?  Is it ever mentioned?
The Klingon home planet is called Qo'noS (pronounced Kronos), but it's also been referred to as Klin and Kling.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6261 on: December 12, 2012, 02:06:13 AM »

In Star Trek (the movies), the Federation has a space dock for its ships.  Where do the Klingons and Romulans keep their spaceships?  Presumably in a spacedock of their own?

The Klingon Homeworld is Qo'nos.  (Pronounced Ko-noas... think "toast" without a t, the s is elongated slightly)  Yes, the Romulans inhabit Romulus, because we're going to ignore the silliness that is destroying their world with a surprise supernova.  Though they've never shown spacedocks, I would imagine that a D'deridex (the Romulan Warbird to us Terrans) would need similar facilities solely because of its size.  And while a B'rel (the small Klingon Bird of Prey) could certainlyland (and did, in STIII and IV), I'd have serious doubts about a K'tinga (cruiser), and I'd entirely rule out the possibility of a Vorcha class attack cruiser safely landing, so Klingons almost certainly have spacedocks too.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6262 on: December 12, 2012, 09:07:49 AM »
I just love this forum. I feel all warm and fuzzy with my fellow Trekkers.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6263 on: December 12, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »
Klingons have and use starbases just like the Federation.  It's just that they haven't appeared on screen in the shows or movies.  There are several mentions of Klingon starbases in Deep Space Nine, which also give an example of a non-starbase dock for starships (the station itself is Cardassian, run by the Federation, and virtually every kind of ship known was seen to dock there at some point).  It's reasonable to presume that Romulans also maintain starbases although no direct mention is made of them.

And just to geek out completely, a space dock and a starbase aren't the same thing.  A space dock is the starship equivalent to a dry dock, and is specifically for repairing ships, where a starbase is a space station.  For example, the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards on and near Mars comprises several space docks and space stations, in addition to the ground facilities.

Virg

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6264 on: December 12, 2012, 02:25:40 PM »
I haven't finished the entire thread, but I have a stupid fashion question. I hope this hasn't been brought up before. Probably not - it's really dumb!

I have a lovely pair of brown high-heeled shoes that I would love to wear with my (several) brown or green skirts. The problem? I can only wear said shoes with socks or tights, otherwise they give me blisters. I vastly prefer socks or thigh-highs, and despise panty-hose. I only have black socks and tights (50% of my wardrobe is black...). This looks stupid to me, so I don't end up wearing my brown shoes, and only wear said skirts with my brown boots, where this isn't a problem.

So, if you were wearing brown shoes and a brown or green longish skirt (below the knee to mid-calf) what color socks or tights would you wear? White is too jarring. I hate taupe or nude pantyhose.

Help?

P.S. Yeah, I know, really dumb.

This is very much not a dumb question.

First off recognize that black and brown are both neutrals so you can wear black tights with brown shoes.  navy is also a neutral, although with a black skirt  and brown shoes it could get way too colorful... in a neutral kinda way  ???

Burgundy or wine tights, or brown tights could look lovely though, as could a light brown/dark tan pair of tights (not unlike pantyhose in color but not sheer or prone to runs like hose).

If you are dressing in all dark neutrals, you could also use your tights as a 'pop of color' and go for red or yellow or a bright blue.  This could also work if you are going for a color blocking look (coordinate your tights with your top color in that case).

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6265 on: December 12, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »
Dumb question: I've never owned an MP3 player until getting my current iPad.  I have a bunch of CDs.  Is there a way to get my music onto iTunes or whatnot so I can play it from my iPad?  Ideally on the device itself instead of "the cloud" so I can play it in the car on trips?  DH's car has a CD stuck in the CD player and it won't come out, so driving with him means either listening to the radio or Enya.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6266 on: December 12, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »
Dumb question: I've never owned an MP3 player until getting my current iPad.  I have a bunch of CDs.  Is there a way to get my music onto iTunes or whatnot so I can play it from my iPad?  Ideally on the device itself instead of "the cloud" so I can play it in the car on trips?  DH's car has a CD stuck in the CD player and it won't come out, so driving with him means either listening to the radio or Enya.

I downloaded all my CDs into iTunes on my computer and then moved everything to my MP3 player.  I don't know enough about iPads to know if you could do this or not.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #6267 on: December 12, 2012, 02:59:15 PM »

I downloaded all my CDs into iTunes on my computer and then moved everything to my MP3 player.  I don't know enough about iPads to know if you could do this or not.

That's exactly how it works.  You can choose to put all of the songs in iTunes onto your iPad, or just select some of them.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6268 on: December 12, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »

And to further geek myself out, on TOS episode "Balance of Terror", the Romulans live on (get ready) Romulus and Remus.  There was apparently a war, with a Neutral Zone set up much like the one between Earth and the Klingons.  The Romulans, according to Spock, are an offshoot of Vulcans who became militaristic and not logical. 

Saavik, in The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock, is supposed to be half-Romulan and half-Vulcan.  It makes sense that she might still remember Vulcan customs per her ancestry.

And you're right, Quo'nos is mentioned in The Undiscovered Country.  Its moon, Praxis, explodes, setting off the events of the movie.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:59:47 PM by guihong »

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #6269 on: December 12, 2012, 10:04:30 PM »
Why do I get a roaring noise in my ears when something painful is in my eye or I hurt my nose?

I have sort of a spin-off question about weird body noises. Does anyone else hear a weird hissing sort of noise in the back of their neck when they're really hungry? It kind of sounds like water tricking through a very tiny hose. Is this normal? What causes it?

Yup. Well, not always when I'm hungry but I often hear a gurgling noise in my neck.