Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1014679 times)

sevenday

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6270 on: December 12, 2012, 10:12:37 PM »
It might be saliva.  I know if I'm really hungry my body sometimes overproduces it, so maybe it IS water running through a tiny hose :P

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #6271 on: December 13, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »
Ultimate stupid question (though it's not a contest ;)):

In Star Trek (the movies), the Federation has a space dock for its ships.  Where do the Klingons and Romulans keep their spaceships?  Presumably in a spacedock of their own?

I would guess that the home planet of the Romulans is Romulus.  What is the Klingons' home planet?  Is it ever mentioned?

(I got to watching the movies tonight)

And to further geek myself out, on TOS episode "Balance of Terror", the Romulans live on (get ready) Romulus and Remus.  There was apparently a war, with a Neutral Zone set up much like the one between Earth and the Klingons.  The Romulans, according to Spock, are an offshoot of Vulcans who became militaristic and not logical. 
Well, the Romulans live on Romulus, the Remans live on Remus. We got to meet the Remans in the movie Star Trek: Nemesis, where the delicious Tom Hardy played a clone of Jean Luc Picard.  ;)

The Romulans are an off shoot of the Vulcans (and very much look it) , but the Remans are something far more reptilian and have been used as a slave race by the Romulans for centuries.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Reman
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6272 on: December 13, 2012, 02:53:23 AM »
I'm puzzled.  You refer to a "Star Trek: Nemesis", yet the final film of the Star Trek franchise was First Contact.  :P

/the last Star Wars film was Return of the Jedi, too

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #6273 on: December 13, 2012, 03:21:00 AM »
I'm puzzled.  You refer to a "Star Trek: Nemesis", yet the final film of the Star Trek franchise was First Contact.  :P

/the last Star Wars film was Return of the Jedi, too
Bwhaahahaha.

I only watched it for Tom Hardy.  ;)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

sunnygirl

« Reply #6274 on: December 13, 2012, 06:26:53 AM »
Dumb question: I've never owned an MP3 player until getting my current iPad.  I have a bunch of CDs.  Is there a way to get my music onto iTunes or whatnot so I can play it from my iPad?  Ideally on the device itself instead of "the cloud" so I can play it in the car on trips?  DH's car has a CD stuck in the CD player and it won't come out, so driving with him means either listening to the radio or Enya.
Assuming your computer has a CD drive, open iTunes and then put the CD in the drive. iTunes will automatically ask you if you want to save the tracks. A list of all the tracks on the CD will appear and you can select which ones you want, it'll start ripping them, then they'll appear in your Music section.

GreenHall

« Reply #6275 on: December 13, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »
If I'm making a personal sale (not back to Amazon) of a Kindle, Should I de-register it? 
(Seems, obvious, but want to double check).

I do plan to default back to factory blank, or whatever it will let me do.

dawnfire

« Reply #6276 on: December 13, 2012, 08:55:13 AM »
here's another star trek question

When we are introduced to the the trill race in the next gen episode "The Host" we are told that trills cannot use the transporter as it injures the symbiont, yet in DS9 DAX uses the transporter with no ill effect. Why?

MerryCat

« Reply #6277 on: December 13, 2012, 09:34:58 AM »
Miraculous leaps in transporter technology. It's amazing the things they can do these days :P

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6278 on: December 13, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »
here's another star trek question

When we are introduced to the the trill race in the next gen episode "The Host" we are told that trills cannot use the transporter as it injures the symbiont, yet in DS9 DAX uses the transporter with no ill effect. Why?

Probably the same reason why the physical appearance of the Trill hosts changed from facial protuberances to pretty dot patterns.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #6279 on: December 13, 2012, 10:54:53 AM »
I cannot tell you the number of times I've been faced with a long drive (sometimes in inclement weather) and wished heartily for a transporter.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6280 on: December 13, 2012, 10:58:17 AM »
dawnfire wrote:

"When we are introduced to the the trill race in the next gen episode "The Host" we are told that trills cannot use the transporter as it injures the symbiont, yet in DS9 DAX uses the transporter with no ill effect. Why?"

There's this pretty cool piece of technology in the Star Trek universe called the "ret-con".  They used it on the transporters when they introduced Jadzia Dax, and it made the transporter safe for Trills to use.

Virg

clio917

« Reply #6281 on: December 13, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »
If I'm making a personal sale (not back to Amazon) of a Kindle, Should I de-register it? 
(Seems, obvious, but want to double check).

I do plan to default back to factory blank, or whatever it will let me do.

I would de-register it, then do a factory re-set if needed.

Iris

« Reply #6282 on: December 13, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »
I cannot tell you the number of times I've been faced with a long drive (sometimes in inclement weather) and wished heartily for a transporter.  ;D

Yes, but then I remember that the only realistic way for a transporter to operate as seen in Star Trek would be for them to kill you by dissolving you into atoms, analyse your residue, and then make an exact copy of you elsewhere. And then I remember that this is a *government issue* transporter. And then I decide I'd rather drive  :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Girlie

« Reply #6283 on: December 13, 2012, 03:59:19 PM »
Does anyone ever actually just "flip a coin" to help them make an important decision? I know I've been tempted to in the past, but I don't anyone who's ever actually done it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6284 on: December 13, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »

Yes, but then I remember that the only realistic way for a transporter to operate as seen in Star Trek would be for them to kill you by dissolving you into atoms, analyse your residue, and then make an exact copy of you elsewhere. And then I remember that this is a *government issue* transporter. And then I decide I'd rather drive  :)

The bonus is, the copy doesn't know it's been disintegrated, so the next time it goes to use the transporter, it gets vaporized and *another* copy is spawned...

Yes, Starfleet is an organization of serial killers.  :D