Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 840690 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6330 on: December 17, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »
I have only refused to tip once.  My brother and I went to a Chinese place that we frequent so regularly the owners greet us by first name. They had a newish person on and he was nothing less than horrific.  My brother was seated against the wall, I was on the other side, accessible to the aisles and traffic ( this is important). He spilled hot tea on me, failed to apologize or see if I was ok, used our table for dirty dishes ans garbage from other tables...and then walked away leaving it there, hit me with a tray, ran into my chair several times and then when we put the money for the bill on the little tray designed for that purpose, he refused to give them the change. We called over the owners, got my change back and he stood there demanding "That is my tip, tip. tip."  I told the owners some of what he did and they promised to talk to him - and my brother told hin "No tip"
  Had he brought back the change we would have given him the standard tip, but if you steal from me, you don't get a tip. Since this place was a stop for most of the people we hang with, we heard later that he pulled similar crap with others, and by the time my brother and I went back, the waiter was no where to be seen. My brother was told a couple weeks later, that the waiter would "not be a problem. again"

Something similar happened with my Mom. The service wasn't as bad. Neglectful but no pouring things on us. Mom paid with cash. She would have left a tip more to the 15% than 20%. The change was closer to a 40% tip - not something my parents would leave. When Mom asked for her change, the server said in a snotty tone that was my tip.  Mom asked for the owner by name. (Dad was in the beer business. Mom and Dad knew all the independent restaurant owners in his territory by name.) The owner was NOT happy. Mom got her change back and the server was retrained by the owner.

Which San Angelo restaurant was it?  I worked my way through my senior year of high school and most of college (1974 to 1979) and we moved back there after getting out of the military in 1985 - I've probably eaten at most of the ones still in business - and if I haven't, my ILs have!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6331 on: December 17, 2012, 12:11:04 AM »
Why am I insanely tired when I wake up, but am wide awake after two hours, even though I have not eaten or drunk anything? Is it just adrenaline?

Low blood sugar & you take a while to get going?

Low body temperature when you first start moving around?

You're waking up at the wrong point on your sleep cycle and your body takes a bit longer to get everything up to speed when it is starting at the wrong point on the cycle?

You're a night owl instead of a lark?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #6332 on: December 17, 2012, 12:13:26 AM »
Why am I insanely tired when I wake up, but am wide awake after two hours, even though I have not eaten or drunk anything? Is it just adrenaline?

You're waking up at the wrong point on your sleep cycle and your body takes a bit longer to get everything up to speed when it is starting at the wrong point on the cycle?

I'm definitely a night owl. I usually go to bed around 1 or 1:30 in the morning, and get up at 9:30 in the morning.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Carotte

« Reply #6333 on: December 17, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »
For those here that have longish hair, do you do anything special with it for the night?
It's the first time I've had my hair this long (it's 5/6 inches past my shoulders) and I've been waking up with more and more knots in my hair, is tying it in a pony tail usefull?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6334 on: December 17, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »
For those here that have longish hair, do you do anything special with it for the night?
It's the first time I've had my hair this long (it's 5/6 inches past my shoulders) and I've been waking up with more and more knots in my hair, is tying it in a pony tail usefull?

I find sleeping in a ponytail uncomfortable, and it doesn't do much for knots.  Try a plait instead.

turtleIScream

« Reply #6335 on: December 17, 2012, 12:02:31 PM »

My daughter has long hair. She loosely braids it at night, but also uses a satin pillowcase. The cotton fibers from her regular sheet set created too much friction, leading to knots and breakage.

mmswm

« Reply #6336 on: December 17, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »

My hair is waist length, thick and curly.  I actually find that putting it in a pony tail or plaits makes the knotting worse, so I think some of it has to do with the type of hair you have, not just the length.  I am also more prone to headaches if it's up at night.  I comb my hair right before I go to bed and right when I wake up. That seems to keep the knotting down to a minimum.  Of course, I've had very long hair for so long, that my "normal" amount of knotting might not be acceptable to somebody who's not accustomed to dealing with it.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6337 on: December 17, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »

My hair is waist length, thick and curly.  I actually find that putting it in a pony tail or plaits makes the knotting worse, so I think some of it has to do with the type of hair you have, not just the length.  I am also more prone to headaches if it's up at night.  I comb my hair right before I go to bed and right when I wake up. That seems to keep the knotting down to a minimum.  Of course, I've had very long hair for so long, that my "normal" amount of knotting might not be acceptable to somebody who's not accustomed to dealing with it.

My hair is mid back, thick, and curly...and I don't comb my hair at all.  When I shower, I run my fingers through my hair when there is conditioner in it, and I do that until there are no more knots.  That's all my hair gets.

I wear my hair in a bun or pony tail when I sleep.

What I'm trying to get at is, you're right, it depends!

ETA: a comma.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6338 on: December 17, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
I have waist length, curly hair. I wear it in a loose bun at night (helps with not tangling in my CPAP headgear). I am a back sleeper, so the bun is way high on my head, and I do it deliberately loosely so it's not hard nor does it tear my hair. YMMV

NutMeg

« Reply #6339 on: December 17, 2012, 01:59:41 PM »
I have close to hip length tangly hair. I put it into a high bun on the very top of my head. Sometimes I braid it, but I don't like how braid waves look in my hair, so I usually just go with the bun.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6340 on: December 17, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »
I have waist length, thick, wavy hair and I sleep with it loose. I don't seem to have a problem with it knotting overnight.

lilfox

« Reply #6341 on: December 17, 2012, 02:23:54 PM »

I'm definitely a night owl. I usually go to bed around 1 or 1:30 in the morning, and get up at 9:30 in the morning.

All of the above probably play a part.  Even on your normal schedule you may still have a more shifted circadian phase than the average.  If you have to set an alarm to wake up, it's not inherently your body's wake-up time.  The lack of appetite supports this - your body is just not ready to be fully awake.  (I sympathize, I spent several decades being forced to wake up hours before my natural cycle!)

The bolded line describes sleep inertia or sleep hangover.  If you are woken up during the deepest sleep stage, it can take anywhere from 15 min to several hours to function properly.  That's true of overnight sleep or of daytime naps.

squeakers

« Reply #6342 on: December 17, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
My hair is past my butt and tangles easily on the underside.  I solved that by cutting the knots out every 6 months or so.  It's gotten worse as I have gotten older: my white hair is kinky and can knot the rest of my hair up within minutes of brushing it.  I've used braids but then I run the risk of choking myself or my husband choking me by getting tangled in a plait.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6343 on: December 17, 2012, 02:56:56 PM »
I pretty much always sleep with my hair loose (it's above my shoulders now, but it used to be near my waist in length). I have braided it in the past, but mostly as a way of keeping my neck and back a little cooler when I'm too warm than as a way of controlling the tangles.

Now that my hair is shorter and I also changed how I style it (I almost never brush it, only finger comb or comb in the shower with conditioner), I don't worry about tangles in my hair when I wake up. I have such awful bed-head that, even if my hair isn't actually tangled, it looks ridiculous. So even if I'm not actually showering, I stick my head under the shower spray, add a bit of conditioner, and at least finger comb it to get it to look normal.

My hair really doesn't tangle that easily, though. Even sleeping on a flannel pillowcase (about the most friction you can have, but oh so warm and cozy), I don't wake up with especially tangled hair. Conditioner and water always seem to be enough to get most of the tangles out, and the few that remain are easy enough to work out with my fingers or a comb.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6344 on: December 17, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
When I had my hair long, I often slept with it going up off the top of the pillow instead of spread out "down" like it normally would be - it did seem to reduce the number of tangles in the morning.