Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 843710 times)

Girlie

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6345 on: December 17, 2012, 03:07:38 PM »
When I had my hair long, I often slept with it going up off the top of the pillow instead of spread out "down" like it normally would be - it did seem to reduce the number of tangles in the morning.

That, and it doesn't seem to pull as much. I hate when I'm trying to get to sleep and roll over to find I've rolled over on my own hair with resulting pain and/or discomfort.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6346 on: December 17, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »
Oh, the other thing would be experiment with when you take your shower/wash your hair.  My hair is very thick, so if I shower in the morning the roots in the back are still damp at the end of the day.  I found that showering right before bed meant having a damp pillow a lot, but my hair was much more well-behaved in the mornings.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #6347 on: December 17, 2012, 04:07:22 PM »
I brush it out at night if it has gotten significantly tangled (but not if I've had it in a braid all day, or have mostly stayed indoors), and that seems to be sufficient. Well, except for the nights when the cat steps on it (he likes to sleep on my pillow, which is usually fine, but sometimes he wakes me as he arrives or departs).

For reference, I have very thin/fine hair.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6348 on: December 17, 2012, 05:18:05 PM »
I have very fine curly hair but lots of it.  I don't tie my hair up at night because it bugs me to have it tied up.  If I were going to tie it, I'd tie it in a ponytail on the top of my head.

I wake up in the morning looking similar to Medusa but I always have a shower in the morning and condition my hair, whether or not I use shampoo.  Because it is fine, it will dry in an hour or so, faster in the summer.

The only time a brush touches my hair is if I'm pulling it back into a ponytail.  Otherwise, I use a wide toothed comb to take out the tangles after my shower and my fingers the rest of the day.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #6349 on: December 17, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »
When I had my hair long, I often slept with it going up off the top of the pillow instead of spread out "down" like it normally would be - it did seem to reduce the number of tangles in the morning.

I did that for a while.
Then one of my cats decided he liked the feeling of my hair between his toes, and I started getting woken up every night with him kneading my hair.

Broke me of that habit  ;D

mrkitty

« Reply #6350 on: December 19, 2012, 12:33:04 AM »
Speaking of cats, why is it that they can ignore you all day long when you try to hug them or play, or God forbid, ask them to move so you don't trip over them, but when you sit down at the computer to do actual work, they decide that's the perfect time to come over and SIT ON YOUR KEYBOARD and be adorable and loving? Why? Why?!
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6351 on: December 19, 2012, 07:34:37 AM »
Speaking of cats, why is it that they can ignore you all day long when you try to hug them or play, or God forbid, ask them to move so you don't trip over them, but when you sit down at the computer to do actual work, they decide that's the perfect time to come over and SIT ON YOUR KEYBOARD and be adorable and loving? Why? Why?!

It's The Code of the Cat.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6352 on: December 19, 2012, 07:36:15 AM »
How do they get those pretty skinless Mandarin orange slices in the can without destroying the slices?  They are pretty and perfect and delicious.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6353 on: December 19, 2012, 09:21:17 AM »
A question regarding the 'Mayan Calendar End of the World' idiocy.

Since this prediction was made, the Western calendar has changed several times.  How did people come up with the date December 21, 2012?

What will the excuse be when December 22 dawns?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6354 on: December 19, 2012, 09:24:52 AM »

Since this prediction was made, the Western calendar has changed several times.  How did people come up with the date December 21, 2012?

The Mayan long count calendar counts days, not years.

www.2012hoax.org is a fabulous resource on the history of the hoax and why it is all nonsense.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6355 on: December 19, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »
Off topic: A cute picture comparing the Mayan calendar with an Oreo cookie is making its way around. I bought a package of Oreos to eat on December 22 after Dec. 21 has been through all time zones.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:37:17 AM by Luci45 »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6356 on: December 19, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
Thank you, RingTailedLemur,

That website looks as useful as Snopes.  I'll be looking at it often. 

GreenHall

« Reply #6357 on: December 19, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »

I saw this on the internet and tried it with little hope, and have about a 50% success rate (so better than nothing): If you can clear a space on your desk area for a box, the cat will take over the box rather than your keyboard/working area. 
(My cat would go sit right in front of the the monitor, still not wanting to love on me, just wanting to sit where she is in the way, apparently.)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6358 on: December 19, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »

As others have said, the long count calendar can, with some accuracy, be correlated with astronomical observances that can align it with the western calendar in its current state.

As for the excuses? I expect a major one will be that this is the start of a new era, not the end of the world, and why did we think they were saying the world would end? No, of course, that's not what they meant. Oh, look, a puppy!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6359 on: December 19, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »

As others have said, the long count calendar can, with some accuracy, be correlated with astronomical observances that can align it with the western calendar in its current state.

As for the excuses? I expect a major one will be that this is the start of a new era, not the end of the world, and why did we think they were saying the world would end? No, of course, that's not what they meant. Oh, look, a puppy!

Of course, the people who have sold all their worldly possessions are going to feel *real* foolish on Saturday morning.