Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1016747 times)

mrkitty

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6345 on: December 19, 2012, 12:33:04 AM »
Speaking of cats, why is it that they can ignore you all day long when you try to hug them or play, or God forbid, ask them to move so you don't trip over them, but when you sit down at the computer to do actual work, they decide that's the perfect time to come over and SIT ON YOUR KEYBOARD and be adorable and loving? Why? Why?!
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6346 on: December 19, 2012, 07:34:37 AM »
Speaking of cats, why is it that they can ignore you all day long when you try to hug them or play, or God forbid, ask them to move so you don't trip over them, but when you sit down at the computer to do actual work, they decide that's the perfect time to come over and SIT ON YOUR KEYBOARD and be adorable and loving? Why? Why?!

It's The Code of the Cat.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6347 on: December 19, 2012, 07:36:15 AM »
How do they get those pretty skinless Mandarin orange slices in the can without destroying the slices?  They are pretty and perfect and delicious.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6348 on: December 19, 2012, 09:21:17 AM »
A question regarding the 'Mayan Calendar End of the World' idiocy.

Since this prediction was made, the Western calendar has changed several times.  How did people come up with the date December 21, 2012?

What will the excuse be when December 22 dawns?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6349 on: December 19, 2012, 09:24:52 AM »

Since this prediction was made, the Western calendar has changed several times.  How did people come up with the date December 21, 2012?

The Mayan long count calendar counts days, not years.

www.2012hoax.org is a fabulous resource on the history of the hoax and why it is all nonsense.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6350 on: December 19, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »
Off topic: A cute picture comparing the Mayan calendar with an Oreo cookie is making its way around. I bought a package of Oreos to eat on December 22 after Dec. 21 has been through all time zones.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:37:17 AM by Luci45 »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6351 on: December 19, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
Thank you, RingTailedLemur,

That website looks as useful as Snopes.  I'll be looking at it often. 

GreenHall

« Reply #6352 on: December 19, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »

I saw this on the internet and tried it with little hope, and have about a 50% success rate (so better than nothing): If you can clear a space on your desk area for a box, the cat will take over the box rather than your keyboard/working area. 
(My cat would go sit right in front of the the monitor, still not wanting to love on me, just wanting to sit where she is in the way, apparently.)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6353 on: December 19, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »

As others have said, the long count calendar can, with some accuracy, be correlated with astronomical observances that can align it with the western calendar in its current state.

As for the excuses? I expect a major one will be that this is the start of a new era, not the end of the world, and why did we think they were saying the world would end? No, of course, that's not what they meant. Oh, look, a puppy!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6354 on: December 19, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »

As others have said, the long count calendar can, with some accuracy, be correlated with astronomical observances that can align it with the western calendar in its current state.

As for the excuses? I expect a major one will be that this is the start of a new era, not the end of the world, and why did we think they were saying the world would end? No, of course, that's not what they meant. Oh, look, a puppy!

Of course, the people who have sold all their worldly possessions are going to feel *real* foolish on Saturday morning.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6355 on: December 19, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »
Traska AKA Diane wrote:

"Of course, the people who have sold all their worldly possessions are going to feel *real* foolish on Saturday morning."

Anyone who could rationalize selling all of their worldly possessions in anticipation of the end of times will be more than capable of rationalizing the action after the fact.

Virg

Elisabunny

« Reply #6356 on: December 19, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »

It's The Code of the Cat.   ;)

For the same reason that small children suddenly need your absolute, undivided attention as soon as you're on the phone. ::)
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6357 on: December 19, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »
Off topic: A cute picture comparing the Mayan calendar with an Oreo cookie is making its way around. I bought a package of Oreos to eat on December 22 after Dec. 21 has been through all time zones.

That is awesome. If i liked Oreos i might steal the idea ... :) we could eat cookies together.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6358 on: December 19, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »

That is awesome. If i liked Oreos i might steal the idea ... :) we could eat cookies together.

I don't like Oreos, but a girl's gotta do what she's gotta do.

Carotte

« Reply #6359 on: December 19, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »
I think the cat question is the same as where have all my bobby pins gone to?, without this (and lost socks, important papers that hide until you don't need them anymore and countless other things) the world wouldn't run anymore. Something about it being powered by small annoyance.