Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1011188 times)

Iris

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6360 on: December 19, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »
Traska AKA Diane wrote:

"Of course, the people who have sold all their worldly possessions are going to feel *real* foolish on Saturday morning."

Anyone who could rationalize selling all of their worldly possessions in anticipation of the end of times will be more than capable of rationalizing the action after the fact.

Virg

Wait, people are doing this? Is this a thing? That doesn't even make any sense. Even if the world *were* going to end, what good is a bunch of cash going to do you? Either you're dead or living in a post apocalyptic world where cash is worthless. Looking just at the miscellaneous rubbish on my desk I can't see a single thing that wouldn't be at least as useful as cash in a post apocalyptic world, with the possible exception of the usb Christmas lights. And if the world *doesn't* end (Spoiler alert: it's not going to) you're going to look extra stupid.

My brain hurts and I want to go back to bed.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6361 on: December 19, 2012, 03:40:03 PM »
I'm surprised it appears to have actually died down a little on my favorite boards, such as Bad Astronomy, instead of gearing up to a frenzy. I suspect that a lot of the past purveyors are hoping that people *will* forget on Saturday that they ever set a specific date.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6362 on: December 19, 2012, 03:43:24 PM »
We got a new microwave recently, and our popcorn making capacities have taken a major hit.

With the old microwave, nuking the popcorn on the default setting (which I'm assuming is high) for 3 minutes and 10 seconds gave us a perfect bag of popcorn.  Nothing burned, and very few unpopped kernels, maybe 4 or 5 per bag.

Now with the new microwave, 3:10 is almost on the edge of burning the corn, but about 1/3 of the kernels remain unpopped.  Increasing the time only burns the popcorn.

Will nuking it at a lower power setting but for more time make more of them pop?  Or not do anything at all?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6363 on: December 19, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »
We got a new microwave recently, and our popcorn making capacities have taken a major hit.

With the old microwave, nuking the popcorn on the default setting (which I'm assuming is high) for 3 minutes and 10 seconds gave us a perfect bag of popcorn.  Nothing burned, and very few unpopped kernels, maybe 4 or 5 per bag.

Now with the new microwave, 3:10 is almost on the edge of burning the corn, but about 1/3 of the kernels remain unpopped.  Increasing the time only burns the popcorn.

Will nuking it at a lower power setting but for more time make more of them pop?  Or not do anything at all?

Is there a popcorn button? Those frequently work well.

I'd say turn it down to 80% and see how it does. I know that when my microwave does the popcorn setting it turns it down, and that seems to work well.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6364 on: December 19, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »
Traska AKA Diane wrote:

"Of course, the people who have sold all their worldly possessions are going to feel *real* foolish on Saturday morning."

Anyone who could rationalize selling all of their worldly possessions in anticipation of the end of times will be more than capable of rationalizing the action after the fact.

Virg

Wait, people are doing this? Is this a thing? That doesn't even make any sense. Even if the world *were* going to end, what good is a bunch of cash going to do you? Either you're dead or living in a post apocalyptic world where cash is worthless. Looking just at the miscellaneous rubbish on my desk I can't see a single thing that wouldn't be at least as useful as cash in a post apocalyptic world, with the possible exception of the usb Christmas lights. And if the world *doesn't* end (Spoiler alert: it's not going to) you're going to look extra stupid.

Welcome to my head... I'm out of it at the moment, but if you'd leave a message...

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6365 on: December 19, 2012, 04:24:35 PM »

I'd say turn it down to 80% and see how it does. I know that when my microwave does the popcorn setting it turns it down, and that seems to work well.
Yes, there is.  It nukes the popcorn for 2 minutes, and leaves over half of them unpopped.  And apparently the manufacturers KNOW that this is insufficient, because once you figure out how to nuke it properly (evidently by trial and error) you can reprogram the popcorn button to your desired power setting and cook time.

If we had room to keep one, I'd go to the thrift store and get one of the old-fashioned popcorn poppers.  :P
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #6366 on: December 19, 2012, 04:34:04 PM »
Do you have a simple saucepan? I don't like the taste of Microwave popcorn, so I simply heat kernels in some hot oil, put the lid on and wait for 5 minutes. It's so easy anyway, I can't see the point of microwaving it, and you know what you've put on top.

Victoria

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6367 on: December 19, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »

Yes, there is.  It nukes the popcorn for 2 minutes, and leaves over half of them unpopped.  And apparently the manufacturers KNOW that this is insufficient, because once you figure out how to nuke it properly (evidently by trial and error) you can reprogram the popcorn button to your desired power setting and cook time.

If we had room to keep one, I'd go to the thrift store and get one of the old-fashioned popcorn poppers.  :P

Oh. That's interesting. I'll have to check to see if my microwave does that.

I don't remember what the time is for my microwave button (nor do I know the heat setting, I do think it changes during the cycle) but for perfect popcorn I press the popcorn button and immediately when it hits "0" I press the button again then listen until there is a few seconds between pops (about another 20 seconds.)

Kind of a pain because you gotta pay attention, but it works. :-\

Oh, yeah. oz diva's way works well, too! I forgot about the old-fashioned way.  ;D (she posted while I was typing)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6368 on: December 19, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »
I got a small popcorn popper for Christmas. Purely our of my altruistic desire to help my fellow E-hellions, I will make some soon and report back. ;)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6369 on: December 19, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »

Something similar happened with my Mom. The service wasn't as bad. Neglectful but no pouring things on us. Mom paid with cash. She would have left a tip more to the 15% than 20%. The change was closer to a 40% tip - not something my parents would leave. When Mom asked for her change, the server said in a snotty tone that was my tip.  Mom asked for the owner by name. (Dad was in the beer business. Mom and Dad knew all the independent restaurant owners in his territory by name.) The owner was NOT happy. Mom got her change back and the server was retrained by the owner.

Which San Angelo restaurant was it?  I worked my way through my senior year of high school and most of college (1974 to 1979) and we moved back there after getting out of the military in 1985 - I've probably eaten at most of the ones still in business - and if I haven't, my ILs have!
Not San Angelo, Place in Spring Branch off Katy freeway. Owner died 10 years or so ago. His heirs sold the place to a chain.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6370 on: December 19, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »
Traska AKA Diane wrote:

Virg

Welcome to my head... I'm out of it at the moment, but if you'd leave a message...

News Flash to all the gullible people (not any Ehellions)  ;)

The world has been repeatedly said to be coming to an end "by this and that group", it seems like FOREVER.  It's never happened.  So chances are good, this time won't be "it" either.

Talk to y'all Saturday.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #6371 on: December 19, 2012, 06:52:02 PM »
Traska AKA Diane wrote:

Virg

Not this appocalypse but the last(?) one (which ever one was supposed to be the "rapture") I personally knew SEVERAL people who had their and/or their children's pets put down so they wouldn't have to survive in the end times. One who drowned the family kitten.

When the rapture didn't happen... well, all I can say is those kids may need therapy some day. Personally I wish I had known, I'm known to my family as a "sinner" so I'd have offered to take care of their pets for them if they got raptured.

(Note: This isn't a judgement on religions or anything. Just my personal judgement on stupid people killing their kid's pets.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6372 on: December 19, 2012, 06:52:47 PM »
Yep, Dazi.

We'll talk on Saturday.

you bring the bean dip and we'll bring the wine. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6373 on: December 19, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
A question regarding the 'Mayan Calendar End of the World' idiocy.

Since this prediction was made, the Western calendar has changed several times.  How did people come up with the date December 21, 2012?

What will the excuse be when December 22 dawns?
My understanding is that the Mayan Calendar was on a type of cycle having to do with astronomy that is how they line up the dates on the different calendars.

The Mayan Calendar never predicted the end of the world - just the end of a cycle of that calendar. (Sort of like saying that Feb 29, 2016 is the end of the world because that is the next leap day)

I agree the selliing everything for cash doesn't make sense.

Stocking up on supplies/ammo if you thought you were going to be left behind. That would make sense.

Giving everything you own except the clothes on your back away so you would be raptured (the whole It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man enter the Kingdom of Heaven thing)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

JoW

« Reply #6374 on: December 19, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »
About the end of the world on Dec 21 -

NASA Science News for Dec. 14, 2012 (a free news letter I get on line)

NASA is so sure the world won't come to an end on Dec. 21, 2012, they have already released a video and news item for the day after.

FULL STORY: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/14dec_yesterday/