Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1016939 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6375 on: December 19, 2012, 10:43:46 PM »
Traska AKA Diane wrote:

"Of course, the people who have sold all their worldly possessions are going to feel *real* foolish on Saturday morning."

Anyone who could rationalize selling all of their worldly possessions in anticipation of the end of times will be more than capable of rationalizing the action after the fact.

Virg

Wait, people are doing this? Is this a thing? That doesn't even make any sense. Even if the world *were* going to end, what good is a bunch of cash going to do you? Either you're dead or living in a post apocalyptic world where cash is worthless. Looking just at the miscellaneous rubbish on my desk I can't see a single thing that wouldn't be at least as useful as cash in a post apocalyptic world, with the possible exception of the usb Christmas lights. And if the world *doesn't* end (Spoiler alert: it's not going to) you're going to look extra stupid.

My brain hurts and I want to go back to bed.

Welcome to my head... I'm out of it at the moment, but if you'd leave a message...

News Flash to all the gullible people (not any Ehellions)  ;)

The world has been repeatedly said to be coming to an end "by this and that group", it seems like FOREVER.  It's never happened.  So chances are good, this time won't be "it" either.

Talk to y'all Saturday.
The late lamented Weekly World News printed a new
END OF THE WORLD!!!!!!
story 2 or 3 times a month.

Was I the only one who noticed the yearly subscription in every issue?  >:D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Iris

« Reply #6376 on: December 19, 2012, 11:42:13 PM »
Kimblee - I don't want to quote your post because then people would see the hidden text, but that may be the saddest thing I've read since... well, since last weekend if I'm honest, but other than that for AGES.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6377 on: December 20, 2012, 10:13:06 AM »
Speaking of cats, why is it that they can ignore you all day long when you try to hug them or play, or God forbid, ask them to move so you don't trip over them, but when you sit down at the computer to do actual work, they decide that's the perfect time to come over and SIT ON YOUR KEYBOARD and be adorable and loving? Why? Why?!

I saw this on the internet and tried it with little hope, and have about a 50% success rate (so better than nothing): If you can clear a space on your desk area for a box, the cat will take over the box rather than your keyboard/working area. 
(My cat would go sit right in front of the the monitor, still not wanting to love on me, just wanting to sit where she is in the way, apparently.)

I was able to lure my old cat Prinny off the keyboard by putting a pillow, just an ordinary pillow that you would sleep on, on a corner of my desk. It had to be in a pillowcase, though. It didn't hurt that it was in front of a sunny window, either.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #6378 on: December 20, 2012, 10:21:20 AM »
This is more a hypothesis than a question, but I thought I'd throw it out to E-hellions to see if anybody has thoughts on this.

In my (admittedly small) extended family, most people don't have more than two kids (just the way it worked out). And I've noticed that  it seems like one kid takes more strongly after one parent, and the other takes more strongly after the other parent.

For example, while I share many traits with my mom, I am without doubt my father's daughter. I inherited his body shape, his good-at-books-and-schooling brain and his sense of humor. My brother, who also has the sense of humor, inherited my mom's body shape and her good-at-hands-on intelligence.

Is this true in your family, or am I just seeing something that isn't there?  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6379 on: December 20, 2012, 10:29:57 AM »
Iris wrote:

"Wait, people are doing this? Is this a thing? That doesn't even make any sense. Even if the world *were* going to end, what good is a bunch of cash going to do you? Either you're dead or living in a post apocalyptic world where cash is worthless."

Many of those who wholly buy into this idea believe that the world will be destroyed on the 21st.  The concept of selling all your stuff is to garner a big pile of cash for one last hurrah, not to have a cash stockpile for afterward.

AfleetAlex wrote:

"In my (admittedly small) extended family, most people don't have more than two kids (just the way it worked out). And I've noticed that  it seems like one kid takes more strongly after one parent, and the other takes more strongly after the other parent."

This is perception of small numbers.  People, on seeing a child, wil naturally compare the child to his/her parents, and since just about everyone has two parents, will decide that the child takes after one or the other more.  When the next child comes along, the natural pattern is to think that child will take after the other parent, and so they will filter their observations to make it so.  I've seen more than one family where both (or even all three or more) kids take after one parent, and still I hear all the time that they're split because people will emphasize the differences (like you yourself did by pointing out that both of you got your father's sense of humor but then weighting other traits more strongly).

Virg

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6380 on: December 20, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
This is more a hypothesis than a question, but I thought I'd throw it out to E-hellions to see if anybody has thoughts on this.

In my (admittedly small) extended family, most people don't have more than two kids (just the way it worked out). And I've noticed that  it seems like one kid takes more strongly after one parent, and the other takes more strongly after the other parent.

For example, while I share many traits with my mom, I am without doubt my father's daughter. I inherited his body shape, his good-at-books-and-schooling brain and his sense of humor. My brother, who also has the sense of humor, inherited my mom's body shape and her good-at-hands-on intelligence.

Is this true in your family, or am I just seeing something that isn't there?  ;D

This probably needs its own thread, but I can't skip it!

It's called genetics and I see it as more random than you seem to think. Brother is more our dad's side, I am more our mom's side. Lucas's and my daughter is like me, son like my dad and Lucas. Here is where your pattern fails in our family. Brother's 3 are mostly just his. Son's 3 are pretty much the maternal grandfather! Daughter's 3 are a real mixture with just slight favoring, nothing obvious. Even the twins only have similar eyes and noses - the same as any random sisters, which is what fraternals are. I see a little of nearly everybody in everybody, although there is a definite leaning toward one side in most, it isn't as much following a set pattern as you seem to have observed.

There are also dominant and recessive genes to consider, but that really gets far too complicated for this thread in my opinion., although it is fascinating.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:10:57 PM by Luci45 »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6381 on: December 20, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »

It depends - I've seen families with four or five children that appear to be clones from one side of the family.

It also depends on who's doing the looking. My mother's family looks at my brother and sees his maternal grandfather. His father's side sees his father. Of course, he has both traits, but people focus on the ones they're familiar with.

Mathmatically, the likelihood of expressing traits should be independent of whether another sibling had the genes for the same trait, barring some strange sort of preselection process in fertilization.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6382 on: December 20, 2012, 11:35:52 AM »

I think it can happen that a child has the general looks and personality of one parent. But it can also be total random.

My brother Ted has two sons. One looks exactly like Ted and has quite a bit of Ted's personality. One looks exactly like Ted's ex-wife, but is nothing like her in temperament, and only partly like my brother.

My brother Ned has three kids. All look more like my SIL than Ned. But the youngest has Ned's personality, through and through.

My brother Fred has a kid who is eerily identical to my brother Ted in looks, but not in personality.

I'm one of seven kids. Six of us look just like Dad, but two of us got Mom's eye color. Personality-wise, we are all over the place. The seventh sibling--we had no idea who he looked like. In fact, some people, just seeing a family picture, would think that he was adopted. Then someone found a picture of Dad's father in his 20s and everyone agrees that Sibling looks exactly like a young Grandpa.

I think some of it is just that with two parents and two kids, there's a natural inclination to match each kid to one parent.

And genetics is weird. I have two red-headed grandparents, two brown-haired parents, one red-headed sibling. That sibling has one red-headed child, and one brown. One of my brown-haired siblings married a red-head. Their 4 kids are all red-heads. And yet, red hair is supposed to be recessive.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #6383 on: December 20, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »

Genetics are essentially random. One egg can be fertilized by any of roughly 100,000 sperms, each with a different genome. And of course, all eggs are unique too. If you look at large families, you can see it pretty well. It's really unpredictable how many kids will be more like Mom, like Dad, like Great-Grandma... That goes for physical traits as well as health issues, intelligence, etc. I have three daughters and they all look like their father's side of the family. My oldest (who looks more like some of his relatives but not so much like him) is very much like him in many ways: math- and science-oriented, difficulties with language and social skills, etc. My second and third look a lot more like him but are a lot more like me personality-wise.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #6384 on: December 20, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »
Genetics blessed my cousin with what I've always called "Fairy Princess Hair" - red and curly and gorgeous. She got it from my grandfather who, by the time we knew him, had gone white. At first, as kids, we had no idea where the red hair was from until someone explained.

My dad keeps apologizing that I've inherited his shape. I'm a pear. My mom is about 110 pounds soaking wet. Oh well!  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #6385 on: December 20, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
Kimblee - I don't want to quote your post because then people would see the hidden text, but that may be the saddest thing I've read since... well, since last weekend if I'm honest, but other than that for AGES.

Yeah... It was pretty horrible for the kids. Thankfully when their granbdparents got wind of it they unleashed the big guns and went to court for custody. The kids now live with their (more or less) sane grandparents.

Elisabunny

« Reply #6386 on: December 20, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
re: the end of the world tomorrow, tonight SyFy channel is showing "The 12 Disasters of Christmas."   It's one of their made-for-TV movies, so it should be wonderfully awful. ;D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

magicdomino

« Reply #6387 on: December 20, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »
re: the end of the world tomorrow, tonight SyFy channel is showing "The 12 Disasters of Christmas."   It's one of their made-for-TV movies, so it should be wonderfully awful. ;D

Dang, that would almost be worth getting cable again.   :)

My Doomsday! 2012 Countdown Calendar says:  "Big day tomorrow.  Rest up, drink plenty of fluids.  Pick out your clothes carefully -- you may be wearing them for quite some time.  Also, set up your coffee machine tonight -- you'd hate to be fumbling with beans and grinders when Armageddon comes.

Iris

« Reply #6388 on: December 20, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »
Iris wrote:

"Wait, people are doing this? Is this a thing? That doesn't even make any sense. Even if the world *were* going to end, what good is a bunch of cash going to do you? Either you're dead or living in a post apocalyptic world where cash is worthless."

Many of those who wholly buy into this idea believe that the world will be destroyed on the 21st.  The concept of selling all your stuff is to garner a big pile of cash for one last hurrah, not to have a cash stockpile for afterward.

Ah, that makes sense. Well, it doesn't make *sense*, but it has an internal logical consistency which is enough to keep me happy and stop my brain hurting. I guess at least when the world doesn't end (and it's already been the 21st here for 7 hours and 20 minutes so things are looking good) they'll at least have that awesome trip to Disneyland to look back on...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6389 on: December 20, 2012, 05:24:49 PM »
Why is my pineapple effervescent??

I have some fresh pineapple. It has been in the fridge for a week? I think? So I tasted it cautiously to make sure that it wasn't rotten or moldy. It tastes FIZZY. Kind of like weird pineapple soda. ???

I'm throwing it out. I don't like the taste. But I'm still wondering what happened to it...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.