Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 842705 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6390 on: December 20, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
Kimblee - I don't want to quote your post because then people would see the hidden text, but that may be the saddest thing I've read since... well, since last weekend if I'm honest, but other than that for AGES.

Yeah... It was pretty horrible for the kids. Thankfully when their granbdparents got wind of it they unleashed the big guns and went to court for custody. The kids now live with their (more or less) sane grandparents.

Elisabunny

« Reply #6391 on: December 20, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
re: the end of the world tomorrow, tonight SyFy channel is showing "The 12 Disasters of Christmas."   It's one of their made-for-TV movies, so it should be wonderfully awful. ;D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

magicdomino

« Reply #6392 on: December 20, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »
re: the end of the world tomorrow, tonight SyFy channel is showing "The 12 Disasters of Christmas."   It's one of their made-for-TV movies, so it should be wonderfully awful. ;D

Dang, that would almost be worth getting cable again.   :)

My Doomsday! 2012 Countdown Calendar says:  "Big day tomorrow.  Rest up, drink plenty of fluids.  Pick out your clothes carefully -- you may be wearing them for quite some time.  Also, set up your coffee machine tonight -- you'd hate to be fumbling with beans and grinders when Armageddon comes.

Iris

« Reply #6393 on: December 20, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »
Iris wrote:

"Wait, people are doing this? Is this a thing? That doesn't even make any sense. Even if the world *were* going to end, what good is a bunch of cash going to do you? Either you're dead or living in a post apocalyptic world where cash is worthless."

Many of those who wholly buy into this idea believe that the world will be destroyed on the 21st.  The concept of selling all your stuff is to garner a big pile of cash for one last hurrah, not to have a cash stockpile for afterward.

Ah, that makes sense. Well, it doesn't make *sense*, but it has an internal logical consistency which is enough to keep me happy and stop my brain hurting. I guess at least when the world doesn't end (and it's already been the 21st here for 7 hours and 20 minutes so things are looking good) they'll at least have that awesome trip to Disneyland to look back on...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6394 on: December 20, 2012, 05:24:49 PM »
Why is my pineapple effervescent??

I have some fresh pineapple. It has been in the fridge for a week? I think? So I tasted it cautiously to make sure that it wasn't rotten or moldy. It tastes FIZZY. Kind of like weird pineapple soda. ???

I'm throwing it out. I don't like the taste. But I'm still wondering what happened to it...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6395 on: December 20, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »

Something similar happened with my Mom. The service wasn't as bad. Neglectful but no pouring things on us. Mom paid with cash. She would have left a tip more to the 15% than 20%. The change was closer to a 40% tip - not something my parents would leave. When Mom asked for her change, the server said in a snotty tone that was my tip.  Mom asked for the owner by name. (Dad was in the beer business. Mom and Dad knew all the independent restaurant owners in his territory by name.) The owner was NOT happy. Mom got her change back and the server was retrained by the owner.

Which San Angelo restaurant was it?  I worked my way through my senior year of high school and most of college (1974 to 1979) and we moved back there after getting out of the military in 1985 - I've probably eaten at most of the ones still in business - and if I haven't, my ILs have!
Not San Angelo, Place in Spring Branch off Katy freeway. Owner died 10 years or so ago. His heirs sold the place to a chain.

An aha moment - his HOUSTON territory!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #6396 on: December 20, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »

I have some fresh pineapple. It has been in the fridge for a week? I think? So I tasted it cautiously to make sure that it wasn't rotten or moldy. It tastes FIZZY. Kind of like weird pineapple soda. ???

I'm throwing it out. I don't like the taste. But I'm still wondering what happened to it...

It's fermenting and becoming lightly carbonated. It probably wouldn't hurt you, but that pineapple is no longer "fresh".
Utah

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6397 on: December 20, 2012, 05:29:31 PM »

Sounds like you are making pineapple wine!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6398 on: December 20, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »

It's fermenting and becoming lightly carbonated. It probably wouldn't hurt you, but that pineapple is no longer "fresh".

Oh, wow. Good thing I threw it out then!!! :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

magicdomino

« Reply #6399 on: December 20, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »

More like pineapple cider; apple juice gets a little fizzy when it ferments.  I like fizzy apple juice, but fizzy pinapple might be a little weird. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6400 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »
I have accidentally bought pineapples that were at that point. There is no hope for them, they just get mushy after they're fizzy.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6401 on: December 20, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »

My Doomsday! 2012 Countdown Calendar says:  "Big day tomorrow.  Rest up, drink plenty of fluids.  Pick out your clothes carefully -- you may be wearing them for quite some time.  Also, set up your coffee machine tonight -- you'd hate to be fumbling with beans and grinders when Armageddon comes.

Good advice. And along those lines, this is my favorite FB status I've seen. I shameless stole it for myself:

"I think we should all wear a red shirt tomorrow...
If the world is going to end, we might as well go out in Star Trek style..."

Yup, I'm definitely wearing red tomorrow. :)

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6402 on: December 20, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »

Good advice. And along those lines, this is my favorite FB status I've seen. I shameless stole it for myself:

I so wish I could!  As soon as I get home from work...then I'm going to find a way to go out in public!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6403 on: December 20, 2012, 09:46:58 PM »

I was already planning to wear red!

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #6404 on: December 20, 2012, 10:46:25 PM »
We are almost three quarters of the way through the 21st of December and nothing has happened.  It is a very nice sunny day I have just finished backing up the computers and am now ready to sit back with a nice glass of wine and eat some fresh cherries. So if the end does come I will be relaxed, sun tanned  and have a full tummy.