Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1001578 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6390 on: December 20, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »

Something similar happened with my Mom. The service wasn't as bad. Neglectful but no pouring things on us. Mom paid with cash. She would have left a tip more to the 15% than 20%. The change was closer to a 40% tip - not something my parents would leave. When Mom asked for her change, the server said in a snotty tone that was my tip.  Mom asked for the owner by name. (Dad was in the beer business. Mom and Dad knew all the independent restaurant owners in his territory by name.) The owner was NOT happy. Mom got her change back and the server was retrained by the owner.

Which San Angelo restaurant was it?  I worked my way through my senior year of high school and most of college (1974 to 1979) and we moved back there after getting out of the military in 1985 - I've probably eaten at most of the ones still in business - and if I haven't, my ILs have!
Not San Angelo, Place in Spring Branch off Katy freeway. Owner died 10 years or so ago. His heirs sold the place to a chain.

An aha moment - his HOUSTON territory!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #6391 on: December 20, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »
Why is my pineapple effervescent??

I have some fresh pineapple. It has been in the fridge for a week? I think? So I tasted it cautiously to make sure that it wasn't rotten or moldy. It tastes FIZZY. Kind of like weird pineapple soda. ???

I'm throwing it out. I don't like the taste. But I'm still wondering what happened to it...

It's fermenting and becoming lightly carbonated. It probably wouldn't hurt you, but that pineapple is no longer "fresh".
Utah

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6392 on: December 20, 2012, 05:29:31 PM »

I have some fresh pineapple. It has been in the fridge for a week? I think? So I tasted it cautiously to make sure that it wasn't rotten or moldy. It tastes FIZZY. Kind of like weird pineapple soda. ???

I'm throwing it out. I don't like the taste. But I'm still wondering what happened to it...

Sounds like you are making pineapple wine!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6393 on: December 20, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »

It's fermenting and becoming lightly carbonated. It probably wouldn't hurt you, but that pineapple is no longer "fresh".

Oh, wow. Good thing I threw it out then!!! :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

magicdomino

« Reply #6394 on: December 20, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »

More like pineapple cider; apple juice gets a little fizzy when it ferments.  I like fizzy apple juice, but fizzy pinapple might be a little weird. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6395 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »
I have accidentally bought pineapples that were at that point. There is no hope for them, they just get mushy after they're fizzy.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6396 on: December 20, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »
re: the end of the world tomorrow, tonight SyFy channel is showing "The 12 Disasters of Christmas."   It's one of their made-for-TV movies, so it should be wonderfully awful. ;D

Dang, that would almost be worth getting cable again.   :)

My Doomsday! 2012 Countdown Calendar says:  "Big day tomorrow.  Rest up, drink plenty of fluids.  Pick out your clothes carefully -- you may be wearing them for quite some time.  Also, set up your coffee machine tonight -- you'd hate to be fumbling with beans and grinders when Armageddon comes.

Good advice. And along those lines, this is my favorite FB status I've seen. I shameless stole it for myself:

"I think we should all wear a red shirt tomorrow...
If the world is going to end, we might as well go out in Star Trek style..."

Yup, I'm definitely wearing red tomorrow. :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6397 on: December 20, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »
re: the end of the world tomorrow, tonight SyFy channel is showing "The 12 Disasters of Christmas."   It's one of their made-for-TV movies, so it should be wonderfully awful. ;D

My Doomsday! 2012 Countdown Calendar says:  "Big day tomorrow.  Rest up, drink plenty of fluids.  Pick out your clothes carefully -- you may be wearing them for quite some time.  Also, set up your coffee machine tonight -- you'd hate to be fumbling with beans and grinders when Armageddon comes.

Good advice. And along those lines, this is my favorite FB status I've seen. I shameless stole it for myself:

I so wish I could!  As soon as I get home from work...then I'm going to find a way to go out in public!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6398 on: December 20, 2012, 09:46:58 PM »

I was already planning to wear red!

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #6399 on: December 20, 2012, 10:46:25 PM »
We are almost three quarters of the way through the 21st of December and nothing has happened.  It is a very nice sunny day I have just finished backing up the computers and am now ready to sit back with a nice glass of wine and eat some fresh cherries. So if the end does come I will be relaxed, sun tanned  and have a full tummy.

mmswm

« Reply #6400 on: December 21, 2012, 12:54:52 AM »
Genetics blessed my cousin with what I've always called "Fairy Princess Hair" - red and curly and gorgeous. She got it from my grandfather who, by the time we knew him, had gone white. At first, as kids, we had no idea where the red hair was from until someone explained.

My dad keeps apologizing that I've inherited his shape. I'm a pear. My mom is about 110 pounds soaking wet. Oh well!  ;D

Mine is thick, red, curly and nearly waist length.  My friend's 14 year old daughter declared in "mermaid hair".  Both my parents are redheads, so there was no way I was getting out of the red hair, but I'm still somewhat curious where the thickness and the curls came from.  That seems to be a freak of nature.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6401 on: December 21, 2012, 11:21:07 AM »

LOL.  I'm wearing red but it's because I wear red every Friday.  I live near a Canadian Forces base and there has been a campaign for years called 'Red Friday', asking you to wear red to support the troops.  Plus, I look good in red.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #6402 on: December 24, 2012, 06:49:36 AM »
Why are native  New Zealanders  called  "Kiwis", and does the fruit hail from there as well (and that might answer my question)   ::))

I assumed NZ people were named after the national bird.  I thought it applied to all NZ-ers, not just native peoples.

I don't think anybody confirmed this 100%, but yes that's true.   Kiwi is just a slang term for "New Zealander".  It doesn't apply just to Maori (who are the indigenous people of New Zealand) but to all who identify as NZers.   I've noticed my friends who are newer immigrants often take great delight in identifying themselves as "kiwis" as they adopt NZ language and culture etc.    :)

And yes, it's after the small flightless bird called the Kiwi which is the national emblem of New Zealand.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #6403 on: December 24, 2012, 07:40:43 AM »
Kiwi fruit was originally called Chinese Gooseberry.

Victoria

Carotte

« Reply #6404 on: December 26, 2012, 06:32:47 PM »
This might not need a whole thread in the technoquette one but is there a way to convey 'complete silence' over the internet/ in a chat conversation?
I was talking on gtalk with someone who made a comment about how I wrote one word (wrong - I'm dyslexic) - he knows my problem/point of view, I know his, the only way I found to deal with it is just to not say anything back, there's not actually anything to say and I don't always trust myself to hold my tongue and say something not e-hell approved.
But well, it stops the conversation until someone go on with a new subject. Is there a magical way to handle it? just the not saying anything part - I routinely handle the fact that it's no use for him to correct me the way he does (I might start again reminding him that it can be hurtfull)