Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 846475 times)

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6480 on: January 04, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »
Redsoil wrote:

"Stupid question that wandered into my mind earlier today.  The saying "You mother wears Army Boots" is obviously an insult, but how did it come about, and what exactly is it supposed to convey?"

My impression was that it was accusing your target's mother of being manly.  With the growing number of women in the armed forces, it's getting pretty dated, though.

Iris wrote:

"I'm explaining it badly, but maths not physics is my area sorry. I once heard a physicist break down the number of actual impacts in a car crash..."

This is true, but our discussion was about a particular collision and a particular injury, and that's where the description doesn't add up.

Mental Magpie wrote:

"Re: being independent from the car. I was using very general terms and wasn't clear. What I meant was that your body will eventually move from the crash. You won't just sit there while the car moves around you without ever moving you. For a split second while everything impacts everything else, sure, but in the end you'll move, too."

See above.  There's no doubt that your body is going to get moved around by the collision, but I was questioning the concept of pressing the brake causing additional hip injuries, since perpetua argued that pressing the brake while stopped was going to do that.  You're not going to suffer any more or any different injuries from a rear-end hit by pressing the brake than you would putting the car in neutral and putting your feet flat on the floor or holding them up, and if your foot is on the brake then post-collision your car is less likely to drift roll, so it's a good idea to press the brake firmly while you're sitting still.

Virg

I see now and agree with you on that one.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #6481 on: January 04, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »
I learned how to drive from my father, however, my father is an excellent driver.  In addition to that, I had been piloting a small plane for several years before I could legally learn to drive, so that experience put me light years ahead of most people when it comes to operating a large, complex vehicle.  I remember being 9 years old and "helping" my father land the plane for the first time and being absolutely positive that it was impossible to do so many things at one time. After learning to manage all that, driving a puny little car seemed easy.
Considering the fact that at least 90% of learning to drive a car is about learning to look around you and be aware of other traffic in the vicinity etc. I am not sure how much the experience with piloting a small plane help with this.

What I have always learned though is that people who somehow do have experience with driving cars before going for their drivers license here, often have a lot of problems, because they think they know what they are doing, because they know the technical part, but they are much worse at learning to look around when driving.

Piloting a plane is far more complex than driving a car.  After learning to be aware of, and operate a plane safely, the skills required to drive a car didn't seem all that complicated.  That's why I made the comparison. I was likely somewhat easier to teach than the kid with the normal experience.  I'd make the same comparison of a farmer's kid, who's spent his life driving tractors and other farm vehicles. Also, you have the same awareness of surrounding issues in a plane, only you don't just have to be aware of what's in front of, beside and behind you.  You also have to know what's above and below you.  Also, they don't mark nice, neat little lanes in the sky.  It can make for some interesting traffic scenarios when idiots start ignoring air traffic control.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:55:46 PM by mmswm »

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6482 on: January 06, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
Why do the people in silent movies seem to move so quickly?  Same with cars/trains/etc.?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6483 on: January 06, 2013, 01:41:49 PM »
Because of the frame rate. Silent movies used 18 frame/second but are often played at 30 frames/second.

Jones

« Reply #6484 on: January 06, 2013, 01:56:38 PM »
How does one go about getting a toddler to sit still for a haircut?

We don't have any barbers/hair salons in town that cater to toddlers or I'd take Boo Bear there and make it their business to figure out.  :P He just needs his side curls cut back a bit, but apparently the trimmer I have tickles.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6485 on: January 06, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »
Duct tape?

:D

Jones

« Reply #6486 on: January 06, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
Duct tape?

:D

I just went into the giggles at that..hehe.

I gave him a lollipop and did my best. If one side's shorter than the other, well, at least he's too young to care.

turtleIScream

« Reply #6487 on: January 06, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »

We don't have any barbers/hair salons in town that cater to toddlers or I'd take Boo Bear there and make it their business to figure out.  :P He just needs his side curls cut back a bit, but apparently the trimmer I have tickles.

Naps. And hats.

We could only get one side of our son's head done while he was napping, so he'd wear a hat until the next nap time/hair trimming session. Fortunately, he now cooperates at the barber.

AustenFan

« Reply #6488 on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »

Is there anything that Boo Bear is mesmerized by? A movie, special toy, favorite person who can distract while you cut?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6489 on: January 06, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »
We went to one children's shop that had a horse, a lion, and a car (similar to carousel animals - or the small coin operated "rides" that used to be outside some larger stores) for the kids to sit in.  And a tv to watch a looped cartoon/movie on.  It worked...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6490 on: January 06, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »

Hah. Haaaaaah.

The best we can do is sitting her on a tarp on a stool in front of a TV, no toys. It's still like whacking an atom with a baseball bat, but at least it's a solid-state atom instead of a gas.

And who are you people whose toddlers will sleep through a haircut? Mine sleep pretty soundly, but there's no way they would stand that. I'd probably get stabbed.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6491 on: January 07, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
Jones wrote:

"How does one go about getting a toddler to sit still for a haircut?"

Tequila.  For both of you.

Honestly, though, this is one of those things where getting him very tired and doing it while he's asleep isn't a bad idea, assuming the trimmer doesn't wake him.  If it does, then get yourself a nice sharp pair of scissors and keep him up late, and as odd as it sounds it works pretty well.  At least it did for my oldest.

Virg

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6492 on: January 07, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
Is there a way to keep necklaces from eating your hair? I have a few necklaces where something about the type of clasp or chain that snares my hair something awful. It hurts a little to wear, but mostly the chains just look awful with hair all around them. Is there anything I can do short of changing out all the chains?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6493 on: January 07, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »
Some of the jewelry makers on board may have a better idea but my first thought was to coat the problematic part of the chain with clear nail polish.  It would close over any little catches that are grabbing your hair.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #6494 on: January 07, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »

Two ideas:

1.  Videos.  Put on a video he doesn't know but that you're sure he'll love.  When you're a few minutes in and he's mesmerized, start cutting.

2.  Bribery.  If he can sit still while you count to five (or even better, ten), give him an M&M or some other very small treat.  You'll have to cut his hair in 5- or 10-second bursts, but it's better than constant squirming.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:44:17 PM by Sheila Take a Bow »