Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1085626 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6480 on: January 06, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »
Duct tape?

:D

Jones

« Reply #6481 on: January 06, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
Duct tape?

:D

I just went into the giggles at that..hehe.

I gave him a lollipop and did my best. If one side's shorter than the other, well, at least he's too young to care.

turtleIScream

« Reply #6482 on: January 06, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »
How does one go about getting a toddler to sit still for a haircut?

We don't have any barbers/hair salons in town that cater to toddlers or I'd take Boo Bear there and make it their business to figure out.  :P He just needs his side curls cut back a bit, but apparently the trimmer I have tickles.

Naps. And hats.

We could only get one side of our son's head done while he was napping, so he'd wear a hat until the next nap time/hair trimming session. Fortunately, he now cooperates at the barber.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

AustenFan

« Reply #6483 on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »

We don't have any barbers/hair salons in town that cater to toddlers or I'd take Boo Bear there and make it their business to figure out.  :P He just needs his side curls cut back a bit, but apparently the trimmer I have tickles.

Is there anything that Boo Bear is mesmerized by? A movie, special toy, favorite person who can distract while you cut?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6484 on: January 06, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »
We went to one children's shop that had a horse, a lion, and a car (similar to carousel animals - or the small coin operated "rides" that used to be outside some larger stores) for the kids to sit in.  And a tv to watch a looped cartoon/movie on.  It worked...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6485 on: January 06, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »

Hah. Haaaaaah.

The best we can do is sitting her on a tarp on a stool in front of a TV, no toys. It's still like whacking an atom with a baseball bat, but at least it's a solid-state atom instead of a gas.

And who are you people whose toddlers will sleep through a haircut? Mine sleep pretty soundly, but there's no way they would stand that. I'd probably get stabbed.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6486 on: January 07, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
Jones wrote:

"How does one go about getting a toddler to sit still for a haircut?"

Tequila.  For both of you.

Honestly, though, this is one of those things where getting him very tired and doing it while he's asleep isn't a bad idea, assuming the trimmer doesn't wake him.  If it does, then get yourself a nice sharp pair of scissors and keep him up late, and as odd as it sounds it works pretty well.  At least it did for my oldest.

Virg

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6487 on: January 07, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
Is there a way to keep necklaces from eating your hair? I have a few necklaces where something about the type of clasp or chain that snares my hair something awful. It hurts a little to wear, but mostly the chains just look awful with hair all around them. Is there anything I can do short of changing out all the chains?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6488 on: January 07, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »
Some of the jewelry makers on board may have a better idea but my first thought was to coat the problematic part of the chain with clear nail polish.  It would close over any little catches that are grabbing your hair.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #6489 on: January 07, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »

Two ideas:

1.  Videos.  Put on a video he doesn't know but that you're sure he'll love.  When you're a few minutes in and he's mesmerized, start cutting.

2.  Bribery.  If he can sit still while you count to five (or even better, ten), give him an M&M or some other very small treat.  You'll have to cut his hair in 5- or 10-second bursts, but it's better than constant squirming.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:44:17 PM by Sheila Take a Bow »

Jones

« Reply #6490 on: January 07, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »
Thanks to all on the advice for toddler hair trimming.

It was so easy with Jean (now age 7)...we just let her hair keep growing. Sadly, in our society I can't do that with my little boy. He does have a cartoon he loves to watch, others are passing bursts and hit-or-miss, but he doesn't like it enough to distract him from something interesting happening by his head.

That said, I gave him a lollipop, which distracted him for a few seconds, then I put a lock of his trimmed hair in the other hand, which he admired and giggled over long enough for me to finish with the clippers. I even got to swipe at the nape of his neck. After the shower--he prefers showers to baths-- I checked and the sides look mostly even; not bad for a speedy job. :D Hopefully he'll have a longer attention span in 6 months when we have to do it again.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6491 on: January 07, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »
Is there a way to keep necklaces from eating your hair? I have a few necklaces where something about the type of clasp or chain that snares my hair something awful. It hurts a little to wear, but mostly the chains just look awful with hair all around them. Is there anything I can do short of changing out all the chains?

It's probably either the type of clasp or a jump ring that's not quite flat.  I'd suggest going out to a craft store and picking up a few magnetic clasps or ball and hitch clasps and swap them out with a pair of pliers.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6492 on: January 07, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »

It's probably either the type of clasp or a jump ring that's not quite flat.  I'd suggest going out to a craft store and picking up a few magnetic clasps or ball and hitch clasps and swap them out with a pair of pliers.
I have the same problem, and it's definitely not the clasp, because clasps have a bad habit of working their way around to the front. It's the chain itself, and it happens with all types of fine chains. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

mmswm

« Reply #6493 on: January 07, 2013, 03:20:51 PM »
Please don't read if you're squeamish about snakes...

There's a snake trapped in the office in my house.  I have NO clue how to trap/pick up/kick out a snake.  It's a harmless non-venomous little garden snake.  I hate snakes, but I'm not afraid of it.  I just have no clue how to go about getting it out of my parents' office.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6494 on: January 07, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »
Try sweeping it out the door.  If it goes into a coil, put a bucket upside down over it, slide a piece of cardboard under snake and bucket, and turn rightside up.  Holding cardboard onto bucket like a lid, take snake outside and release.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.