Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 977413 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6510 on: January 08, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »
But how would you get the snake out of the bottle once you got it outside?

You just remove the tape and pop off the end.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6511 on: January 08, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
A recent survey determined that 97% of US drivers felt that they were "above average" drivers.  ::)   And why should who feels they are an "above average" driver lay out $$$$ for lessons for their kid?

Oh, please please do you have the source for that? Not that i doubt you; i definitely don't. Gish always says he is a better driver than most people on the road, and i always say Everyone thinks that. I would love to have actual numbers from a qualified source.

...I will Google, as well.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6512 on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
I've often said that I would only give myself a 7 out of 10 and the fact that I'm a better driver than many of the people on the road scares the beejeebers out of me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6513 on: January 08, 2013, 09:27:45 PM »
A recent survey determined that 97% of US drivers felt that they were "above average" drivers.  ::)   And why should who feels they are an "above average" driver lay out $$$$ for lessons for their kid?

Oh, please please do you have the source for that? Not that i doubt you; i definitely don't. Gish always says he is a better driver than most people on the road, and i always say Everyone thinks that. I would love to have actual numbers from a qualified source.

...I will Google, as well.
No, I'm afraid not.  I think it was a news report I read several years ago, on a site that no longer exists.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6514 on: January 09, 2013, 03:16:12 AM »

Ah yes, sorry.  Brain blip.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6515 on: January 09, 2013, 07:03:50 AM »

Ah yes, sorry.  Brain blip.

Happens to the best of us.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6516 on: January 09, 2013, 12:59:08 PM »
hobhish wrote:

"Oh, please please do you have the source for that? Not that i doubt you; i definitely don't. Gish always says he is a better driver than most people on the road, and i always say Everyone thinks that. I would love to have actual numbers from a qualified source."

The problem is that this study is just apocryphal, as no such study was ever done so nobody can cite it.  I just tell them it comes from the Institute where they figured out (in a different study, of course) that 84.7% of Internet statistics are made up on the spot.

Virg

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #6517 on: January 09, 2013, 01:31:25 PM »
hobhish wrote:

"Oh, please please do you have the source for that? Not that i doubt you; i definitely don't. Gish always says he is a better driver than most people on the road, and i always say Everyone thinks that. I would love to have actual numbers from a qualified source."

The problem is that this study is just apocryphal, as no such study was ever done so nobody can cite it.  I just tell them it comes from the Institute where they figured out (in a different study, of course) that 84.7% of Internet statistics are made up on the spot.

Virg

The 97% (or 93% as I've heard it) statistic seems to be apocryphal, but the phenomenon is real. The cognitive bias in which the vast majority of people tend to rate themselves as above average in any number of domains is called illusory superiority, the Dunning-Kruger Effect, or the Lake Woebegone Effect. Some studies have looked specifically at driving and found that anywhere from 60-90% of people consider themselves above average drivers, either in certain ways (e.g., speed, number of violations) or overall. Here are a few references:

Svenson, O. (1981). Are we all less risky and more skillful than our fellow drivers?. Acta Psychologica, 47(2), 143–148.

McCormick, I. A., Walkey, F. H., & Green, D. E. (1986). Comparative perceptions of driver ability— A confirmation and expansion. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 18(3), 205–208.

Delhomme, P. (1991). Comparing one's driving with others': Assessment of ability and frequency of offenses. Evidence for a superior conformity of self-bias? Accident Analysis & Prevention, 23(6), 493-508.

Bathurst, J., & Walton, D. (1998). An Exploration of the Perceptions of the Average Driver’s Speed Compared to Perceived Driver Safety and Driving Skill. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 30, 821-830.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #6518 on: January 09, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »
hobhish wrote:

Virg

The 97% (or 93% as I've heard it) statistic seems to be apocryphal, but the phenomenon is real. The cognitive bias in which the vast majority of people tend to rate themselves as above average in any number of domains is called illusory superiority, the Dunning-Kruger Effect, or the Lake Woebegone Effect. Some studies have looked specifically at driving and found that anywhere from 60-90% of people consider themselves above average drivers, either in certain ways (e.g., speed, number of violations) or overall. Here are a few references:

Svenson, O. (1981). Are we all less risky and more skillful than our fellow drivers?. Acta Psychologica, 47(2), 143–148.

McCormick, I. A., Walkey, F. H., & Green, D. E. (1986). Comparative perceptions of driver ability— A confirmation and expansion. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 18(3), 205–208.

Delhomme, P. (1991). Comparing one's driving with others': Assessment of ability and frequency of offenses. Evidence for a superior conformity of self-bias? Accident Analysis & Prevention, 23(6), 493-508.

Bathurst, J., & Walton, D. (1998). An Exploration of the Perceptions of the Average Driver’s Speed Compared to Perceived Driver Safety and Driving Skill. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 30, 821-830.

It seems like counting people who consider themselves above average only in "certain ways" in that statistic kind of makes it worthless. While I have no idea what the actual percentage would be, it seems quite possible for the majority of a population to be above average in at least one aspect of a complex task. Say you have a task that can be divided into parts A, B, and C. If 30% of the population are really good at A (but poor at B and/or C), 30% are really good at B (but poor at A and/or C), and 30% are really good at C (but poor at A and/or B), then you could legitimately have 90% of the population who are above average "in certain ways," even if those 90% are lousy at the overall, combined task. Consistently appropriate use of your headlights doesn't make you an above average driver overall, but it might legitimately make you above average in safe headlight operation. Lumping the two statistics together (above average driver overall vs. above average driver in "certain ways" seems absurd).

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #6519 on: January 09, 2013, 08:13:29 PM »
hobhish wrote:

Virg

It seems like counting people who consider themselves above average only in "certain ways" in that statistic kind of makes it worthless. While I have no idea what the actual percentage would be, it seems quite possible for the majority of a population to be above average in at least one aspect of a complex task. Say you have a task that can be divided into parts A, B, and C. If 30% of the population are really good at A (but poor at B and/or C), 30% are really good at B (but poor at A and/or C), and 30% are really good at C (but poor at A and/or B), then you could legitimately have 90% of the population who are above average "in certain ways," even if those 90% are lousy at the overall, combined task. Consistently appropriate use of your headlights doesn't make you an above average driver overall, but it might legitimately make you above average in safe headlight operation. Lumping the two statistics together (above average driver overall vs. above average driver in "certain ways" seems absurd).

I was trying to be succint while not implying that all the research actually asked about overall driving skill. Different studies ask different questions. The overall trend is that people rate themselves above average on any driving skill they're asked to rate, whether it's headlight use, adherence to the speed limit, or whatever -- not only general ability.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6520 on: January 09, 2013, 09:30:31 PM »
Okay, I know an Anglophile is someone who loves all things British, but is there a word for someone who loves all things Irish? Or Celtic in general?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

squeakers

« Reply #6521 on: January 09, 2013, 09:58:47 PM »
Okay, I know an Anglophile is someone who loves all things British, but is there a word for someone who loves all things Irish? Or Celtic in general?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernophile
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6522 on: January 09, 2013, 10:32:47 PM »
Thank you! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MerryCat

« Reply #6523 on: January 09, 2013, 11:30:22 PM »
I don't know if this is a stupid question, but I need help identifying a plant I read about a while ago that I can't remember the name of. It's from Brazil, small, 6-8 inches, I think, forms a round mound of shorter grass-like leaves with a single tall flower spike coming out of it. The flower spike is topped with a ball of small, daisy-like flowers that look metallic bronze before they're open. You'd think that with that detail I'd be able to name the darn thing, but I just can't. It's driving me crazy!

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6524 on: January 10, 2013, 01:27:25 AM »
I don't know if this is a stupid question, but I need help identifying a plant I read about a while ago that I can't remember the name of. It's from Brazil, small, 6-8 inches, I think, forms a round mound of shorter grass-like leaves with a single tall flower spike coming out of it. The flower spike is topped with a ball of small, daisy-like flowers that look metallic bronze before they're open. You'd think that with that detail I'd be able to name the darn thing, but I just can't. It's driving me crazy!

No idea, but is it any of these?

http://utahpictures.com/brazil/Brazilian_Flowers.php