Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1057405 times)

Mrs T

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6525 on: January 10, 2013, 07:54:21 AM »
I don't know if this is only in the UK, but on TV when presenters interview someone who does not speak english, how do they understand each other?
The interview is shown as a 2 way conversation, but with each speaking their own language (eg one english, one spanish, with the spanish subtitled for the viewers) with no pauses inbetween. I presume that there is editing involved, but frequently the camera angles are so varied (or interviews are carried out in a moving vehicle) that you can tell there is no interpreter in the near vacinity.

Maybe I have low expectations of the presenters, but I'm sure that most are not sufficiently bi-lingual to accomplish this unaided, or even good enough actors to ignore the invisible translator, or ignore the distraction from the invisible earpiece

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6526 on: January 10, 2013, 07:57:04 AM »
Editing.

I believe, in some cases, the interviewer will film all his/her questions separately from the filming of the interviewee's answers.

squeakers

« Reply #6527 on: January 10, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »
I don't know if this is a stupid question, but I need help identifying a plant I read about a while ago that I can't remember the name of. It's from Brazil, small, 6-8 inches, I think, forms a round mound of shorter grass-like leaves with a single tall flower spike coming out of it. The flower spike is topped with a ball of small, daisy-like flowers that look metallic bronze before they're open. You'd think that with that detail I'd be able to name the darn thing, but I just can't. It's driving me crazy!

A type of Yucca? We have one but that plant gets about 5 foot tall.  Or maybe Agave.. similar to Yucca but can be much smaller.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:10:11 AM by squeakers »
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6528 on: January 10, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »
I don't know if this is only in the UK, but on TV when presenters interview someone who does not speak english, how do they understand each other?
The interview is shown as a 2 way conversation, but with each speaking their own language (eg one english, one spanish, with the spanish subtitled for the viewers) with no pauses inbetween. I presume that there is editing involved, but frequently the camera angles are so varied (or interviews are carried out in a moving vehicle) that you can tell there is no interpreter in the near vacinity.

Maybe I have low expectations of the presenters, but I'm sure that most are not sufficiently bi-lingual to accomplish this unaided, or even good enough actors to ignore the invisible translator, or ignore the distraction from the invisible earpiece

It may be done by earpiece sometimes. You are hearing (and seeing) the presenter, but the person being interviewed is likely only hearing the interpreter. So if the interpreter has a list of questions from the presenter, they can rattle them off at the same time that the presenter is talking and the person on the other end will appear to understand every word. As an additional bonus, most 'live' segments are shot with a ten-second time delay (minimum) so they can bleep out bad words/etc.

There are some famous (and funny) incidents where TV producers forgot to do that delay and regretted it. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Carotte

« Reply #6529 on: January 10, 2013, 09:15:18 AM »
I've seen programs where the host ask the question, say in english, then we hear the translator (as a voice over, the actor has an earpiece) ask the spanish actor the same question in spanish, actor respond in spanish, voice over translate the answer in english or the answer is dubbed in english as he speaks. 

Nibsey

« Reply #6530 on: January 10, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Okay, I know an Anglophile is someone who loves all things British, but is there a word for someone who loves all things Irish? Or Celtic in general?

Edit: Oops sorry had to edit as my SO just informed me that this term is sometimes used as a slur.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:32:16 PM by Nibsey »
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #6531 on: January 10, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
The interpreters might be listening offstage, and translating into a microphone, which feeds to an earpiece for the interviewer and subject. The UN at least used to do simultaneous translation for their five official languages that way, made easier because whoever was addressing the meeting was using a microphone; delegates had a choice of language feeds. ("Used to" because I read about this years ago and am not up on current practice.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Reader

« Reply #6532 on: January 11, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »
Is there a washable pad that can be used in the kitchen?  I have a renter that drinks coffee.  In an effort to be very thoughtful he places a paper towel under his coffee mugs that he keeps next to his coffee maker to catch spills so they won't stain my 1970 white with gold flecks laminate countertop.  I'm looking for something that would replace the paper towels he uses to eliminate the waste of paper, that's dishwasher safe and that's half the size of a cutting board.  Anybody know of any such thing?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6533 on: January 11, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
Is there a washable pad that can be used in the kitchen?  I have a renter that drinks coffee.  In an effort to be very thoughtful he places a paper towel under his coffee mugs that he keeps next to his coffee maker to catch spills so they won't stain my 1970 white with gold flecks laminate countertop.  I'm looking for something that would replace the paper towels he uses to eliminate the waste of paper, that's dishwasher safe and that's half the size of a cutting board.  Anybody know of any such thing?

A coaster?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #6534 on: January 11, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »
What about a dishrag, or kitchen towel?
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

ScubaGirl

« Reply #6535 on: January 11, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »

How about a cute trivet?  We picked up one that is like a piece of tile and is colorfully painted.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6536 on: January 11, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »
A table mat? Wipeable but not washable. I don't know what they are called in the US, but they are effectively coasters for plates.
NE England

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6537 on: January 11, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »

How about a saucer?  That's what they are for!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6538 on: January 11, 2013, 05:38:45 PM »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6539 on: January 11, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »
A table mat? Wipeable but not washable. I don't know what they are called in the US, but they are effectively coasters for plates.

a rubberized place mat?
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah