News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 17, 2017, 12:23:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2412910 times)

Nibsey

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6510 on: January 10, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
Okay, I know an Anglophile is someone who loves all things British, but is there a word for someone who loves all things Irish? Or Celtic in general?

Edit: Oops sorry had to edit as my SO just informed me that this term is sometimes used as a slur.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:32:16 PM by Nibsey »
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #6511 on: January 10, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »
The interpreters might be listening offstage, and translating into a microphone, which feeds to an earpiece for the interviewer and subject. The UN at least used to do simultaneous translation for their five official languages that way, made easier because whoever was addressing the meeting was using a microphone; delegates had a choice of language feeds. ("Used to" because I read about this years ago and am not up on current practice.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Reader

« Reply #6512 on: January 11, 2013, 03:17:55 PM »
Is there a washable pad that can be used in the kitchen?  I have a renter that drinks coffee.  In an effort to be very thoughtful he places a paper towel under his coffee mugs that he keeps next to his coffee maker to catch spills so they won't stain my 1970 white with gold flecks laminate countertop.  I'm looking for something that would replace the paper towels he uses to eliminate the waste of paper, that's dishwasher safe and that's half the size of a cutting board.  Anybody know of any such thing?

Mental Magpie

« Reply #6513 on: January 11, 2013, 03:20:50 PM »
Is there a washable pad that can be used in the kitchen?  I have a renter that drinks coffee.  In an effort to be very thoughtful he places a paper towel under his coffee mugs that he keeps next to his coffee maker to catch spills so they won't stain my 1970 white with gold flecks laminate countertop.  I'm looking for something that would replace the paper towels he uses to eliminate the waste of paper, that's dishwasher safe and that's half the size of a cutting board.  Anybody know of any such thing?

A coaster?

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #6514 on: January 11, 2013, 03:22:10 PM »
What about a dishrag, or kitchen towel?
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

ScubaGirl

« Reply #6515 on: January 11, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »

How about a cute trivet?  We picked up one that is like a piece of tile and is colorfully painted.

mechtilde

« Reply #6516 on: January 11, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
A table mat? Wipeable but not washable. I don't know what they are called in the US, but they are effectively coasters for plates.
NE England

Shoo

« Reply #6517 on: January 11, 2013, 03:36:44 PM »

How about a saucer?  That's what they are for!

jpcher

« Reply #6518 on: January 11, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6519 on: January 11, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »
A table mat? Wipeable but not washable. I don't know what they are called in the US, but they are effectively coasters for plates.

a rubberized place mat?
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #6520 on: January 11, 2013, 05:44:33 PM »
Try a glass cutting board.  There are many pretty ones to be found.  It would be like using a large trivet.

mmswm

« Reply #6521 on: January 11, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »
Go to Home Depot, Lowes or a tile store.  Look through their odds and ends in the tile section. Often times you can get single pieces of even large, high quality tiles for a dollar or two.  Find one that's 24 inches or so and place under the coffee pot.  My mother uses mismatched tiles instead of trivets all the time.  It works really well.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

mechtilde

« Reply #6522 on: January 12, 2013, 01:58:22 AM »
Go to Home Depot, Lowes or a tile store.  Look through their odds and ends in the tile section. Often times you can get single pieces of even large, high quality tiles for a dollar or two.  Find one that's 24 inches or so and place under the coffee pot.  My mother uses mismatched tiles instead of trivets all the time.  It works really well.

You can also glue felt on the back if you are likely to put them onto a delicate surface.
NE England

GreenHall

« Reply #6523 on: January 12, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »
I'm going to try to sound like I know what I'm taking about as I ask this...
Bought a new Tv.  Old one had composite (? Red/yellow/white) cables to go to the DVD player.  New one has conmponent(red/green/blue).  Can the old style cables be used? 

DVD player does have r/g/b cable hookups as well as r/y/w.  found component cables for <$5 on amazon, but a couple days for shipping before there'd would be anything other than basic broadcast channels ( all three! That I get there...)

turtleIScream

« Reply #6524 on: January 12, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »
I'm going to try to sound like I know what I'm taking about as I ask this...
Bought a new Tv.  Old one had composite (? Red/yellow/white) cables to go to the DVD player.  New one has conmponent(red/green/blue).  Can the old style cables be used? 

DVD player does have r/g/b cable hookups as well as r/y/w.  found component cables for <$5 on amazon, but a couple days for shipping before there'd would be anything other than basic broadcast channels ( all three! That I get there...)

The RCA cables (r/w/y) are combined audio/video. Red = right channel audio, white = left channel audio, yellow = video. Component cables replace the yellow cable, providing a richer picture. You can use the RCA cables in place of the component cables, but will not get the full benefit of higher video quality (as long as you match the colors on both pieces of equipment). You will also need another set of cables for the audio.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh