Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1029888 times)

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6540 on: January 11, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »
Try a glass cutting board.  There are many pretty ones to be found.  It would be like using a large trivet.

mmswm

« Reply #6541 on: January 11, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »
Go to Home Depot, Lowes or a tile store.  Look through their odds and ends in the tile section. Often times you can get single pieces of even large, high quality tiles for a dollar or two.  Find one that's 24 inches or so and place under the coffee pot.  My mother uses mismatched tiles instead of trivets all the time.  It works really well.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6542 on: January 12, 2013, 02:58:22 AM »
Go to Home Depot, Lowes or a tile store.  Look through their odds and ends in the tile section. Often times you can get single pieces of even large, high quality tiles for a dollar or two.  Find one that's 24 inches or so and place under the coffee pot.  My mother uses mismatched tiles instead of trivets all the time.  It works really well.

You can also glue felt on the back if you are likely to put them onto a delicate surface.
NE England

GreenHall

« Reply #6543 on: January 12, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »
I'm going to try to sound like I know what I'm taking about as I ask this...
Bought a new Tv.  Old one had composite (? Red/yellow/white) cables to go to the DVD player.  New one has conmponent(red/green/blue).  Can the old style cables be used? 

DVD player does have r/g/b cable hookups as well as r/y/w.  found component cables for <$5 on amazon, but a couple days for shipping before there'd would be anything other than basic broadcast channels ( all three! That I get there...)

turtleIScream

« Reply #6544 on: January 12, 2013, 01:56:13 PM »
Bought a new Tv.  Old one had composite (? Red/yellow/white) cables to go to the DVD player.  New one has conmponent(red/green/blue).  Can the old style cables be used? 

DVD player does have r/g/b cable hookups as well as r/y/w.  found component cables for <$5 on amazon, but a couple days for shipping before there'd would be anything other than basic broadcast channels ( all three! That I get there...)

The RCA cables (r/w/y) are combined audio/video. Red = right channel audio, white = left channel audio, yellow = video. Component cables replace the yellow cable, providing a richer picture. You can use the RCA cables in place of the component cables, but will not get the full benefit of higher video quality (as long as you match the colors on both pieces of equipment). You will also need another set of cables for the audio.

demarco

« Reply #6545 on: January 12, 2013, 06:36:48 PM »

The RCA cables (r/w/y) are combined audio/video. Red = right channel audio, white = left channel audio, yellow = video. Component cables replace the yellow cable, providing a richer picture. You can use the RCA cables in place of the component cables, but will not get the full benefit of higher video quality (as long as you match the colors on both pieces of equipment). You will also need another set of cables for the audio.

(I am glad GreenHall asked the question because I have the same problem.)

Does this mean you use the red/green/blue cable and the red and white cable (and just let the yellow piece hang)? 

Betelnut

« Reply #6546 on: January 12, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »
New question:

My daughter got a goldfish tank for Christmas.  It came with an electric filter.  The instructions do not say if it is supposed to run 24/7 or just for daylight hours or what.

Do I run the filter 24/7?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

sevenday

« Reply #6547 on: January 12, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
Goldfish are dirty, dirty fishies.  24/7 I think is the intended use.

Betelnut

« Reply #6548 on: January 12, 2013, 07:49:10 PM »

That's what I thought but I wanted to check.  We actually didn't even put in the filter for the first 10 days and, whew!, did the tank stink after only that short amount of time.  Note to self:  clean the tank at least once a week.  And keep that filter on!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

dawnfire

« Reply #6549 on: January 12, 2013, 09:03:42 PM »

That's what I thought but I wanted to check.  We actually didn't even put in the filter for the first 10 days and, whew!, did the tank stink after only that short amount of time.  Note to self:  clean the tank at least once a week.  And keep that filter on!

keep that filter on 24/7. clean tank weekly. replace 1/2 a tank of water weekly (use the removed water on the garden or your pot pants after diluting . It makes a great fertiser)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6550 on: January 13, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »
demarco wrote:

"Does this mean you use the red/green/blue cable and the red and white cable (and just let the yellow piece hang)?"

That's correct.  The r/g/b connections replace the single yellow plug, but the red and white connections on the original cable are for the sound so you'd end up using five connections and leaving the yellow unplugged.  For completeness, if the devices have an s-video connection that would replace either the yellow or the r/g/b set, and for most new devices, an HDMI connection replaces both the audio and video so you'd just need the HDMI cable and none of the others for that.

Virg

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6551 on: January 13, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
There is a fly buzzing around my house. It's mid-January; it's cold. There have been no flies around for months.

Where did this fly come from?
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

wendelenn

« Reply #6552 on: January 13, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »
Are there any NFL football fans who can answer: How do they determine where the Super Bowl will be played each year? Do they alternate cities in a certain order? Do cities submit bids, like the Olympics?
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6553 on: January 13, 2013, 01:10:13 PM »
Are there any NFL football fans who can answer: How do they determine where the Super Bowl will be played each year? Do they alternate cities in a certain order? Do cities submit bids, like the Olympics?

The latter. It's a bid process like the Olympics and decided a few years in advance. I only know this because Dallas had it a few years ago. It was nuts. :P

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6554 on: January 13, 2013, 02:10:31 PM »
There is a fly buzzing around my house. It's mid-January; it's cold. There have been no flies around for months.

Where did this fly come from?

It either hatched out in your warmer house, somewhere, or it was chilled enough that it was "sleeping" (I have no idea if flies hibernate or not) quietly someplace until it got warm enough to be active again.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?