Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 979815 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6555 on: January 13, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
A post I made on another thread received two interesting responses. 

My post was about dressing in accord with your 'season'.  The only time I ever heard about this was when MIL brought it up. 

Does anyone have more information or references for this idea?  I don't intend to dress in accordance with this but I'm curious. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6556 on: January 13, 2013, 06:25:41 PM »
Do people genuinely get bent out of shape by other people's choice of font, or s it an internet joke I'm not getting?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6557 on: January 13, 2013, 07:18:50 PM »
Do people genuinely get bent out of shape by other people's choice of font, or s it an internet joke I'm not getting?

Well, there IS comic sans...

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6558 on: January 13, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »

Not "bent out of shape" precisely, but people who deal with fonts for a living gripe about font choices the way writers gripe about "50 Shades of Grey" or beer enthusiasts gripe about people who think they know a lot about beer but then rave about Bud Light.  There really are better and worse fonts for particular situations, but it's not always obvious to a layperson.

Jones

« Reply #6559 on: January 13, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »
In my previous position, there was a man in district management who wasn't anyone's direct boss, but woe betide anybody in the branches who emailed him using anything other than Arial 12 pt font.

He was a petty man.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6560 on: January 13, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »

My post was about dressing in accord with your 'season'.  The only time I ever heard about this was when MIL brought it up. 

Does anyone have more information or references for this idea?  I don't intend to dress in accordance with this but I'm curious.

Yes, I remember this theory from the mid 1980's. You used your skin, hair and eye colors to determine which season you were. Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. You would use a color palette to choose clothing, makeup and accessories. I found a website that mentions it: http://www.colorconnections.com/best_colors.html

Iris

« Reply #6561 on: January 13, 2013, 07:38:51 PM »

I know there are certain colours that are supposed to be worn in certain seasons, although I don't subscribe to it myself. Purples, oranges and similar are for autumn, pastels for summer, jewel tones and dark colours for winter etc etc. Note that I am not talking about the colour matching thing where people say "You're a spring, you should wear dark puce and vomit green at all times" it's a general rule that it's 'wrong' to wear, say, charcoal grey in summer.

I didn't think anyone in the world outside of a magazine actually believed that until I put on a dark purple scarf in spring and a friend said "That's more of an autumn scarf, isn't it?"   ???
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6562 on: January 13, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »
I had my colours done about 20 years ago.  I was determined to be a 'Summer'.  I looked best in bright, jewel tone colours or cool colours.  Springs looked best in pastel tones, autumns looked best in more muted tones, like khaki and rust orange or warm colours.  Winters were similar to summers but also looked good in black and true white.

There are some years that I can't buy anything new for my wardrobe because all the colours are warm tones, like coral and I look like death warmed over in warm tones.  Cool tones all the way for me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

demarco

« Reply #6563 on: January 13, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »
I have a book from the early eighties called Color Me Beautiful and I identified myself as a winter using its guidelines.  I got such impressive results from it that I have continued to live by it ever since. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6564 on: January 13, 2013, 08:47:34 PM »

I know there are certain colours that are supposed to be worn in certain seasons, although I don't subscribe to it myself. Purples, oranges and similar are for autumn, pastels for summer, jewel tones and dark colours for winter etc etc. Note that I am not talking about the colour matching thing where people say "You're a spring, you should wear dark puce and vomit green at all times" it's a general rule that it's 'wrong' to wear, say, charcoal grey in summer.

I didn't think anyone in the world outside of a magazine actually believed that until I put on a dark purple scarf in spring and a friend said "That's more of an autumn scarf, isn't it?"   ???

I probably would have said, "It's for when it's cold...so right now it's a spring scarf," with a deep look of confusion.  I don't do this "fashion" stuff.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Iris

« Reply #6565 on: January 13, 2013, 09:01:22 PM »

I probably would have said, "It's for when it's cold...so right now it's a spring scarf," with a deep look of confusion.  I don't do this "fashion" stuff.

I think I managed the deep look of confusion, but speech was really beyond me in that moment. I may have managed to flap my mouth open and closed a couple of times...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #6566 on: January 13, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »

It can get very complicated and it isn't a perfect system but just Google "seasonal color analysis". This was one (of MANY sites about it) that I bookmarked because she had a lot of other good advice: http://www.thechicfashionista.com/your-best-perfect-colors.html

Apparently it was trendy at one point then went out - now it seems to be in again (or never really left?)...it makes some good basic sense as far as what colors compliment your skin/hair/eyes. We all instinctively know that certain colors make us look "washed out" or make our eyes pop - having your colors professionally done just takes it to another level.

I think there is some confusion (because the fashion worlds tells us) that certain colors should only be worn during certain seasons - like burgundy is a "fall" color and pastel pink is a "spring." I think the season in this case refers to the individual (skin/hair/eyes), not her clothes - so the person is a winter, not that she is wearing winter colors (if that makes sense). The point is that you have the same skin/hair/eye tones year round so you should know what colors compliment them and shop accordingly. I think the link I gave breaks it down into more than just four seasons. It is really interesting but not gospel - if they say you "should" wear a certain color that you hate obviously you don't have to. ::) But I know there are colors that make my skin look horrible and I wouldn't wear even if they were my favorite color - ironically they are my least favorite (bright red). So maybe there is something to it...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:49:49 PM by Softly Spoken »
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #6567 on: January 13, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »
Why is there a deodorant brand called Old Spice?  Doesn't spice lose its potency over time, so old spice would be like... eck?

Ereine

« Reply #6568 on: January 14, 2013, 12:09:13 AM »

Not "bent out of shape" precisely, but people who deal with fonts for a living gripe about font choices the way writers gripe about "50 Shades of Grey" or beer enthusiasts gripe about people who think they know a lot about beer but then rave about Bud Light.  There really are better and worse fonts for particular situations, but it's not always obvious to a layperson.

I deal with fonts for living and while there are fonts that are better suited for certain situations (the use of Copperplate in the most recent Bond movie was a bit baffling) the whole "Comic Sans was invented by the Anti-Christ" thing mostly seems like snobbery to me, in the style of beer snobs who can't let others enjoy their Bud Light. You probably shouldn't use Comic Sans on a grave stone but they seem more interested in just griping than from saving the world from it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6569 on: January 14, 2013, 12:20:12 AM »

I deal with fonts for living and while there are fonts that are better suited for certain situations (the use of Copperplate in the most recent Bond movie was a bit baffling) the whole "Comic Sans was invented by the Anti-Christ" thing mostly seems like snobbery to me, in the style of beer snobs who can't let others enjoy their Bud Light. You probably shouldn't use Comic Sans on a grave stone but they seem more interested in just griping than from saving the world from it.

Honestly?  It looks amateurish to me.  I get this "in crayon with a reversed R" vibe from it.  Others may not agree... I also don't like yellow cars, some people seem to think sports cars belong in yellow.