Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1014426 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6600 on: January 18, 2013, 09:17:09 PM »
As long as your former institution was regionally accredited, then no. All of your relevant prior coursework should transfer. However, each school differs, and mine requires 45 hours of upper level course work before they will award a degree. It can also differ by individual college at the school.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6601 on: January 19, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »
I never knew about the color thing until the latter part of high school (and only then had I heard about it briefly in passing), but I always knew that silver looks better on me as do deep greens and blues.  I also wear a lot (read: A LOT) of black...and it helped that those tended to be my favorite colors, too.  FWIW, I have olive skin, dark brown hair, and chocolate brown eyes.

Despite how weird/unusual this color thing sounds on the onset, I can say it makes a lot of sense.

You sound like my mother - but her olive skin has yellow undertones - she looks better in a more Autumn color range and it is what she picks out naturally for herself.  I looked much better when I got to pick out my own clothes (or wore hand me downs from her baby sister - another Winter).  The one bright orange dress?  Dad picked out - and he is a Winter, too.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Betelnut

« Reply #6602 on: January 21, 2013, 08:33:58 AM »
New topic:

Tonight it is supposed to get well below freezing which is essentially the first time this winter.  I currently have a 12 pack of diet sodas in my car which will be parked in the garage.  I want to take them to work tomorrow.

Do you think I need to bring the sodas inside or will the car/garage keep them safe from freezing?  It will be around 16 degrees tonight.  Will the car and garage provide that much protection?

(16 degrees DOES seem awful cold!)
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #6603 on: January 21, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »
Bring them in. Frozen soda cans burst.

Betelnut

« Reply #6604 on: January 21, 2013, 08:43:23 AM »
Bring them in. Frozen soda cans burst.

I know--that's why I was asking...
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Amava

« Reply #6605 on: January 21, 2013, 09:10:49 AM »
New topic:

Tonight it is supposed to get well below freezing which is essentially the first time this winter.  I currently have a 12 pack of diet sodas in my car which will be parked in the garage.  I want to take them to work tomorrow.

Do you think I need to bring the sodas inside or will the car/garage keep them safe from freezing?  It will be around 16 degrees tonight.  Will the car and garage provide that much protection?

Hmmm I think that's hard to tell without knowing how much heat from the house goes into the garage or how well-insulated your garage is.
If you're in doubt, I'd say "better safe than sorry". It's one twelve-pack. Bringing it in takes a minute. Cleaning your car trunk if they explode? A sticky and long-winded adventure.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6606 on: January 21, 2013, 10:17:58 AM »
New topic:

Hmmm I think that's hard to tell without knowing how much heat from the house goes into the garage or how well-insulated your garage is.
If you're in doubt, I'd say "better safe than sorry". It's one twelve-pack. Bringing it in takes a minute. Cleaning your car trunk if they explode? A sticky and long-winded adventure.

I can tell you, from personal experience, that it has to get pretty darn cold for them to burst. I leave 12 packs in my car, and take a couple with me every day to work. I've got too long a walk to take the whole case in to the office at once. I've had them in the interior of the car when it was down to 25 degrees out, and in the trunk to about that too, with no casualties. The cardboard case insulates them, as does the car, so adding another layer of insulation (the garage) they should be fine and dandy. I kind of like that they're almost refrigerated cold too! LOL

GreenHall

« Reply #6607 on: January 21, 2013, 10:36:08 AM »
This completely seem like a stupid question, but I can't decide if it's stupid because 'of course' or 'NO!'

Can I just scoop from the cat pan into the toilet (that is right next to it, and has been for a year. And this is the first time this has occurred to me)?

I use Feline Pine litter (compressed sawdust pellets).

I have a septic tank (not sewer)

If the answer is 'no', anyone have advice for keeping the poo from stinking until garbage day? 1) I have an over active gag trigger 2) Florida is having a rather warm winter, and the rest of the year is warm anyway...anywhere I put the little bags, it stews and marinates, and the smell expands to fill all available space....

Eta septic info
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:37:45 AM by GreenHall »

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6608 on: January 21, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »
Betelnut wrote:

"Tonight it is supposed to get well below freezing which is essentially the first time this winter.  I currently have a 12 pack of diet sodas in my car which will be parked in the garage.  I want to take them to work tomorrow.  Do you think I need to bring the sodas inside or will the car/garage keep them safe from freezing?  It will be around 16 degrees tonight.  Will the car and garage provide that much protection?"

The car itself will provide no thermal protection overnight unless it's running, but most garages will stay above freezing even if the weather drops well below unless it's detached and unheated or you leave the door open.   You have to freeze a soda can pretty hard before it'll expand enough to burst (most freezers go to zero and even then most of the time a can in the freezer won't leak, it'll just deform), so I can't see it being an issue.

On the plus side, they'll be nice and chilled when you want to drink them.

Virg

Snooks

« Reply #6609 on: January 21, 2013, 10:38:40 AM »
This completely seem like a stupid question, but I can't decide if it's stupid because 'of course' or 'NO!'

Can I just scoop from the cat pan into the toilet (that is right next to it, and has been for a year. And this is the first time this has occurred to me)?

I use Feline Pine litter (compressed sawdust pellets).

If the answer is 'no', anyone have advice for keeping the poo from stinking until garbage day? 1) I have an over active gag trigger 2) Florida is having a rather warm winter, and the rest of the year is warm anyway...anywhere I put the little bags, it stews and marinates, and the smell expands to fill all available space....

Normally if you check the litter it will tell you, failing that you could invest in one of these - http://www.catgenie.com

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6610 on: January 21, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »
I agree; check the information on the litter packaging.  If it doesn't clump, it is likely suitable for municipal sewers but I'm not sure about septic systems.  If it is a clumping style, I've been told you shouldn't put it down the toilet.

I have a litter locker.  It is like an old style diaper genie.  It has a bag inside.  You scoop the litter box contents into the top of the container and pull the slide to drop it into the bottom.  When it's full, you just lift the whole top of the genie, cut off the plastic, tie it shut and toss.  You could do this every garbage day, although with two cats, mine seems to last for more than a week before I have to empty it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6611 on: January 21, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
The simple answer for cat litter is not to put it in a septic system.  Cat litter is mostly undigestible (and for your particular choice of sawdust pellets, it's completely so) for a septic system and it's got a lot of volume, so it'll fill the tank in a hurry and that's bad news.  To keep it from reeking, one way I've seen is to get a sealing plastic can to hold it.  It won't help when you need to open it to put more in, but it'll keep it from smelling badly once you do.  You'll have to train yourself to draw a deep breath and hold it while you deposit new bags (and while you reclose it and walk away from it) but that's not too hard to do.

Virg

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6612 on: January 21, 2013, 01:02:26 PM »
Putting some baking soda in the bottom of the can is a start, but really the best way to make it not stink is to take it out to the outside trash can frequently.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6613 on: January 21, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »
Crystal cat litter is also another option. It drastically cuts down on the smell. I discovered it when I had my first cat in a tiny studio apartment, and I've never looked back!

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #6614 on: January 21, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
What do firefighters do? I mean, obviously they fight fires. But stuff isn't always on fire! And you can't train 24/7, can you?

We had an in-flight emergency the other day, and firefighters are required to respond. While we were waiting for the all clear, all of us in the end of runway group realized that we don't know what firefighters do when not responding to ground emergencies/fires.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-