Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 983046 times)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6615 on: January 21, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
What do firefighters do? I mean, obviously they fight fires. But stuff isn't always on fire! And you can't train 24/7, can you?

We had an in-flight emergency the other day, and firefighters are required to respond. While we were waiting for the all clear, all of us in the end of runway group realized that we don't know what firefighters do when not responding to ground emergencies/fires.

I'm not totally up on what firefighters do 24/7, but I know they respond to car accidents, other kinds of accidents, and sometimes medical emergencies, not just fires.  Other than that, I think just being ready to go at all times is what they do. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6616 on: January 21, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »
How does one "shop" for a financial adviser?  I always thought I could save without help, but I could really use some help in figuring out how to budget things.  How can you tell a good one from a bad one?  What are important things for which to look?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6617 on: January 21, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
This completely seem like a stupid question, but I can't decide if it's stupid because 'of course' or 'NO!'

Can I just scoop from the cat pan into the toilet (that is right next to it, and has been for a year. And this is the first time this has occurred to me)?

I use Feline Pine litter (compressed sawdust pellets).

I have a septic tank (not sewer)

If the answer is 'no', anyone have advice for keeping the poo from stinking until garbage day? 1) I have an over active gag trigger 2) Florida is having a rather warm winter, and the rest of the year is warm anyway...anywhere I put the little bags, it stews and marinates, and the smell expands to fill all available space....

Eta septic info

#1   Do not under any circumstances flush kitty litter down the toilet with a septic system.  It's a quick way to fill up and ruin your tank and drain field.

#2   I don't know about others, but I've always found the pine, cedar, corn and newspaper kitty litters to exacerbate the ammonia smell from cats urine.

#3   It is a really BAD idea to put a litter box in a bathroom as the moisture pretty much makes the litter useless in absorbing the odor it is supposed to as it is absorbing the excess moisture from the shower steam.  This is even a worse problem in states that already have humid climates.

#4   The best kitty litter I've found that actually controls odors is Tidy Cats 24/7 clumping.  I scoop daily into a double bagged plastic grocery bag and store it in the garage in an empty Tidy Cats 35 lb. resealable tub until trash day.  Works like a charm.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:33:42 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

JoW

« Reply #6618 on: January 21, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
New topic:

Tonight it is supposed to get well below freezing which is essentially the first time this winter.  I currently have a 12 pack of diet sodas in my car which will be parked in the garage.  I want to take them to work tomorrow.

Do you think I need to bring the sodas inside or will the car/garage keep them safe from freezing?  It will be around 16 degrees tonight.  Will the car and garage provide that much protection?

(16 degrees DOES seem awful cold!)

Bring them in.  Put them on top of your purse so you won't forget them tomorrow.  I've had soda cans freeze and rupture in my attached garage. 

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6619 on: January 21, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »
afbluebelle wrote:

"What do firefighters do? I mean, obviously they fight fires. But stuff isn't always on fire! And you can't train 24/7, can you?"

Most "firefighters" are really emergency response people, and they handle stuff that requires heavy equipment in most towns.  So, they not only respond to fires, they respond to other stuff like car or boating accidents, natural disasters like mudslides or flooding, non-fire emergencies like someone trapped in a drain/stuck on a roof/caught in a structure collapse and lots of other stuff of that nature.  That said, training does take up a reasonably large amount of their time because they're not just training to put out fires.  Learning how to cut a car open with the Jaws of Life takes time, for example.  Maintaining their equipment also takes up a lot of time.  They don't "wash the fire truck" every week just because they like it shiny, it's also to test all of the pumps and safety systems and make sure the truck runs and the hoses work and the gear is sorted and the oxygen tanks are filled and prepped and so on.  When they're not doing the job or training (or dealing with the upkeep of the job like paperwork or keeping the station), they do whatever they care to do while being ready to drop it all and respond to a call.

Virg

squeakers

« Reply #6620 on: January 21, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »
New topic:

Tonight it is supposed to get well below freezing which is essentially the first time this winter.  I currently have a 12 pack of diet sodas in my car which will be parked in the garage.  I want to take them to work tomorrow.

Do you think I need to bring the sodas inside or will the car/garage keep them safe from freezing?  It will be around 16 degrees tonight.  Will the car and garage provide that much protection?

(16 degrees DOES seem awful cold!)

We're at 5 degrees with a -15 wind chill.  Under 32 degrees liquids freeze. Diet soda is very similar to water so will freeze near the same temp (30-32 degrees).. regular soda can stand temps a bit chillier but at 16 degrees will probably freeze too. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_freezing_temperature_of_soda
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

sevenday

« Reply #6621 on: January 21, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »
What I do with my cats... I have 3 cats, 3 litter boxes.  One box is pine pellets (the kind you get at the feed store), one is a mix of both, and one is clumping litter - since I discovered the hard way (Thank you, mystery pee-er) that at least one cat objects to pellets-only and prefers clumping.  Fine.  It's still cheaper than using clumping litter in all three boxes.  Some time back I bought some litter in one of those square plastic buckets with a reclosable lid and a handle.  Since then I've bought the kind that's bagged inside a cardboard box.  I recycle the cardboard boxes and use the plastic bag that the litter came in as a liner for the big bucket - open it up, put the plastic around the edge of the bucket, slap lid on.  Scoop directly into that, close lid, then at the end of the week I take the whole bucket outside, take off the lid, peel off the plastic around the rim, close it with the plastic tab that it originally was closed with, and dispose into the trash bin outside.  Upon coming back in, I sprinkle a bit of baking soda in the bottom and tuck a new bag in, carry on.  Once in a while I'll run out of the bags that came with the litter and use a bathroom-size trash bag.   Sure, you still have to smell it when you're scooping and for a few seconds as you're disposing, but it's probably less than what you're doing now.

Also, I agree with others - bathroom is a bad place, unless it's a bathroom that you do not use the shower in.   I ended up using my front hallway as the cat area.  (It's a long story, some interesting home reno that a previous resident did... ended up being beneficial for us in the end.)

ScubaGirl

« Reply #6622 on: January 21, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
How does one "shop" for a financial adviser?  I always thought I could save without help, but I could really use some help in figuring out how to budget things.  How can you tell a good one from a bad one?  What are important things for which to look?

We went with a personal recommendation and we love the guy.  He is also younger than us so we figure he'll handle our money until we die.  :)

Rohanna

« Reply #6623 on: January 21, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »
afbluebelle wrote:

"What do firefighters do? I mean, obviously they fight fires. But stuff isn't always on fire! And you can't train 24/7, can you?"

Most "firefighters" are really emergency response people, and they handle stuff that requires heavy equipment in most towns.  So, they not only respond to fires, they respond to other stuff like car or boating accidents, natural disasters like mudslides or flooding, non-fire emergencies like someone trapped in a drain/stuck on a roof/caught in a structure collapse and lots of other stuff of that nature.  That said, training does take up a reasonably large amount of their time because they're not just training to put out fires.  Learning how to cut a car open with the Jaws of Life takes time, for example.  Maintaining their equipment also takes up a lot of time.  They don't "wash the fire truck" every week just because they like it shiny, it's also to test all of the pumps and safety systems and make sure the truck runs and the hoses work and the gear is sorted and the oxygen tanks are filled and prepped and so on.  When they're not doing the job or training (or dealing with the upkeep of the job like paperwork or keeping the station), they do whatever they care to do while being ready to drop it all and respond to a call.

Virg

In a great many jurisdictions in Canada, Firefighters first respond to medical scenes to help the ambulance. Patients can be heavy, or require difficult extrications. Sometimes you just need an extra set of hands to do CPR or hold pressure on a wound. Sometimes it's for crowd control. They will sometimes also drive the ambulance for a crew, so that both medics can attend a patient/patients in the back. As there are always more fire crew than paramedics, they may also serve as "first on scene" to a call until an ambulance clears and responds- in my city they carry a heart monitor and oxygen, as well as some basic bandage and compress first aid supplies. They do not transport patients or administer any medications, but they can help with breathing, CPR and blood loss control until the medics arrive and take over.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

GreenHall

« Reply #6624 on: January 21, 2013, 03:27:38 PM »
Thanks for the info on the kitty poo issue.   I won't put it in my septic system. 
The bathroom is unused 99% of the time (except by the cat).
The house came with a doggy door, and the cat got the hang of that easily, so she had in/out access as she wished.   Recently, the neighbors cat ALSO figured out the doggy door, and not only harasses my cat and ears her foods, but also 'lays claim' to anything thats around.  So in the morning my cat now has the option of being in all day or being out all day...

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6625 on: January 21, 2013, 06:09:44 PM »
squeakers wrote:

"Under 32 degrees liquids freeze. Diet soda is very similar to water so will freeze near the same temp (30-32 degrees).. regular soda can stand temps a bit chillier but at 16 degrees will probably freeze too."

There are two things at work here that can change the situation.  Firstly, an enclosed garage that has contact with a house will generally not drop to the ambient outside temperature unless the door is open, so in 16 degree weather the interior of the garage is not likely to be nearly that cold.  Also, if you'll pardon the pun there are degrees of freezing to consider.  Soda in a can has to freeze hard, crystallizing all the way through to expend enough to deform the can or damage it.  Very near its freezing temperature, soda (even diet soda) tends to be slushy because it doesn't freeze uniformly until it's well below its base freezing temperature.  So given these two things, I wouldn't be concerned that soda in the car would freeze hard enough to burst.

Betelnut, the ultimate easy test for you is to go into your garage sometime when the weather is well below freezing.  If you can't see your breath, or if you don't have to scrape your windows when your car is in the garage, it's not likely that the inside temperature is below freezing.

Virg

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6626 on: January 21, 2013, 06:17:21 PM »

Betelnut, the ultimate easy test for you is to go into your garage sometime when the weather is well below freezing.  If you can't see your breath, or if you don't have to scrape your windows when your car is in the garage, it's not likely that the inside temperature is below freezing.

Virg

Or how about this for a test . . . leave one or two cans in the trunk, put the cans in a zip-lock for just in case. See what happens.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6627 on: January 21, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »
I've known forest firefighters who do anything and everything when the weather isn't conducive to fires.  One guy I know told me that he and his crew planted the town's flower boxes one spring when they started the season and there was little to no chance they'd get called out.  They didn't mind; it was better than sitting around.

A coworker's husband works forest fire crew.  He hates being on 'Red Alert' because it means they have to be at the base 24/7, can't go anywhere or even do a whole lot.  Playing cards gets old fast.

Taking away the soap opera aspects of everyone sleeping with everyone else  ;), I would think 'Chicago Fire' is reasonably accurate - they sit around, watching the game on TV, cooking, talking, going through the gear, etc., and drop everything when the bell rings.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6628 on: January 21, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »
I've known forest firefighters who do anything and everything when the weather isn't conducive to fires.  One guy I know told me that he and his crew planted the town's flower boxes one spring when they started the season and there was little to no chance they'd get called out.  They didn't mind; it was better than sitting around.

A coworker's husband works forest fire crew.  He hates being on 'Red Alert' because it means they have to be at the base 24/7, can't go anywhere or even do a whole lot.  Playing cards gets old fast.

Taking away the soap opera aspects of everyone sleeping with everyone else  ;), I would think 'Chicago Fire' is reasonably accurate - they sit around, watching the game on TV, cooking, talking, going through the gear, etc., and drop everything when the bell rings.

I kind of suspect it is like my job in the sense that we are trained for what may happen, not necessarily what happens every day.  In the mean time, we do other aspects of the job and maintain/account for equipment.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Betelnut

« Reply #6629 on: January 21, 2013, 06:41:26 PM »
squeakers wrote:

"Under 32 degrees liquids freeze. Diet soda is very similar to water so will freeze near the same temp (30-32 degrees).. regular soda can stand temps a bit chillier but at 16 degrees will probably freeze too."

There are two things at work here that can change the situation.  Firstly, an enclosed garage that has contact with a house will generally not drop to the ambient outside temperature unless the door is open, so in 16 degree weather the interior of the garage is not likely to be nearly that cold.  Also, if you'll pardon the pun there are degrees of freezing to consider.  Soda in a can has to freeze hard, crystallizing all the way through to expend enough to deform the can or damage it.  Very near its freezing temperature, soda (even diet soda) tends to be slushy because it doesn't freeze uniformly until it's well below its base freezing temperature.  So given these two things, I wouldn't be concerned that soda in the car would freeze hard enough to burst.

Virg

Thanks Virg!  That's good advice.  I've never had to scrape my car but I've only lived in this house for 1 1/2 years and last winter in Maryland was mild, mild, mild.  I did end up taking the sodas inside but I suspect they would have been fine.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently