Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 979967 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6660 on: January 23, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
So here's a dumb question...

My cell phone is dying a slow death and I'd like to get one with wi-fi capabilities so I can browse the internet (mostly to stream music) while I'm at home or at work.  Dh suggested getting a phone that has wi-fi and I've seen some deals on unlocked phones at various retailers but if I get one of those and use my SIM card, will AT&T recognize it as being a smart phone and decide I need the data package?  I really don't want a package, I can't justify the monthly expense. 

I thought I should just break down and get an mp3 player with wi-fi but it would be nice to have it all on once device.  And they are pricey!

Doesn't matter what AT&T thinks it is, it is still your decision where you spend your money. If you don't want a data package, you don't have to have one.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6661 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »
2littlemonkeys wrote:

"My cell phone is dying a slow death and I'd like to get one with wi-fi capabilities so I can browse the internet (mostly to stream music) while I'm at home or at work.  Dh suggested getting a phone that has wi-fi and I've seen some deals on unlocked phones at various retailers but if I get one of those and use my SIM card, will AT&T recognize it as being a smart phone and decide I need the data package?  I really don't want a package, I can't justify the monthly expense."

This isn't a dumb question at all, but unfortunately it's also one without a single answer.  How your provider handles smart phones depends on who they are and where you live, so your best bet is to get in contact with AT&T service and discuss it with them.

blue2000 wrote:

"Doesn't matter what AT&T thinks it is, it is still your decision where you spend your money. If you don't want a data package, you don't have to have one."

That may not be accurate.  AT&T may not support the phone without a data plan (for an example, Verizon won't service a smart phone at all in my area unless it's got a data plan) so she may not have any choice with that provider.  That's why it's best to ask directly.

Virg

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6662 on: January 23, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
Yeah, AT&T disagrees and any smartphone you buy through them with a contract requires a data plan.  I was trying to go off contract, which is why I hadn't contacted anyone over there yet (because they're going to try to get me to get a contract)

Maybe getting an mp3 player would be the simplest route, since it's mostly for music anyway.

Betelnut

« Reply #6663 on: January 23, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »
I have laminate flooring in a lot of my house and am thinking of getting rid of the carpet in my living room also.  I would like to match the laminate that is in the hallways, etc.  How do I do that?  Do I need to have a flooring person come out to the house to see it?  (That would be okay but I'm just not sure how it all works...)
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #6664 on: January 23, 2013, 02:20:05 PM »
One more thing on firefighters - in the small city I used to live in, police officers were cross-trained as firefighters and renamed public safety officers. It was something of a money-saving effort in tough times and kept everyone busy. It's been pretty successful as they've now been doing it for years.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6665 on: January 23, 2013, 02:39:09 PM »
Yeah, AT&T disagrees and any smartphone you buy through them with a contract requires a data plan.  I was trying to go off contract, which is why I hadn't contacted anyone over there yet (because they're going to try to get me to get a contract)

Maybe getting an mp3 player would be the simplest route, since it's mostly for music anyway.

Wow. OK, chalk that up to differences between countries. I have a smartphone (Canada) and I am not required to have a contract or a data plan. None of the companies I looked at seemed to care what phone I have, other than making sure it has a SIM card.

And here I was envious of US plans because they looked cheaper!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #6666 on: January 23, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »

As far as I know, the only unlocked phone AT&T scans the network for and forces you to have data on is the iPhone. Android (and presumably Windows/BlackBerry) phones do not require that. It helps that unlike Verizon, you don’t necessarily have to register your phone with them, you just have to pop your SIM in the new one (therefore you can use whatever phone you’d like), but they can figure out what phone you’re using once you do so.

I ran into this issue when my old phone bit the dust and was using my SO’s original iPhone… AT&T didn’t care that we didn’t need to be in contract, nor that we didn’t buy the phone from them. If their network finds the signal of an iPhone, it adds the data plan automatically and they won’t remove it.

wheeitsme

« Reply #6667 on: January 23, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »

My cell phone is dying a slow death and I'd like to get one with wi-fi capabilities so I can browse the internet (mostly to stream music) while I'm at home or at work.  Dh suggested getting a phone that has wi-fi and I've seen some deals on unlocked phones at various retailers but if I get one of those and use my SIM card, will AT&T recognize it as being a smart phone and decide I need the data package?  I really don't want a package, I can't justify the monthly expense. 

I thought I should just break down and get an mp3 player with wi-fi but it would be nice to have it all on once device.  And they are pricey!

Doesn't matter what AT&T thinks it is, it is still your decision where you spend your money. If you don't want a data package, you don't have to have one.

There was an article about that this last week:

http://consumerist.com/2013/01/16/heres-how-people-have-successfully-used-an-iphone-on-att-with-no-data-plan/

Elisabunny

« Reply #6668 on: January 23, 2013, 03:41:52 PM »
I have laminate flooring in a lot of my house and am thinking of getting rid of the carpet in my living room also.  I would like to match the laminate that is in the hallways, etc.  How do I do that?  Do I need to have a flooring person come out to the house to see it?  (That would be okay but I'm just not sure how it all works...)
I think most places have samples you can bring home to make sure it matches/goes with your existing stuff.

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Sign Of The Times

• Padawan
« Reply #6669 on: January 23, 2013, 04:42:22 PM »
Being somewhat new, I have a few questions that may or may not be foolish.

Does the forum have a master list of members? Or of moderators? If so, where can it be located?

Also, at the gym, on occasion someone will complain about my smell. What is a polite way to respond that "sweat happens"?
The best way out is always through. -- Frost

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6670 on: January 23, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »

As far as I know, the only unlocked phone AT&T scans the network for and forces you to have data on is the iPhone. Android (and presumably Windows/BlackBerry) phones do not require that. It helps that unlike Verizon, you don’t necessarily have to register your phone with them, you just have to pop your SIM in the new one (therefore you can use whatever phone you’d like), but they can figure out what phone you’re using once you do so.

I ran into this issue when my old phone bit the dust and was using my SO’s original iPhone… AT&T didn’t care that we didn’t need to be in contract, nor that we didn’t buy the phone from them. If their network finds the signal of an iPhone, it adds the data plan automatically and they won’t remove it.

That's good to know.  I think if I ever do go this route, I'll ask before I buy.

Dh has an iPhone and he said I could have it when he upgraded (he hates it) but I've been hesitant to do so because of the same thing you experienced.  I knew they did that with iPhones but I didn't know if they did it with any other phones.

Maybe I'll just wait until he upgrades, use his old phone as an mp3 player and just get a regular phone to avoid the whole mess.

There was an article about that this last week:

http://consumerist.com/2013/01/16/heres-how-people-have-successfully-used-an-iphone-on-att-with-no-data-plan/

Thanks for that article, very helpful!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6671 on: January 23, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »

Does the forum have a master list of members? Or of moderators? If so, where can it be located?

Also, at the gym, on occasion someone will complain about my smell. What is a polite way to respond that "sweat happens"?

I don't know the answer to the first set of questions, but for the second one, I suggest starting a thread for that.  I think you'll get a pretty good discussion on it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6672 on: January 23, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »

I would laugh and then say, "Wait, you're serious?" I mean, as long as you're not wearing a heavy scent that gets worse with exercise, this is just how gyms smell. Like sweaty people. It's not the nicest smell, but that's why there are entire separate building just for people to work out.

I get a huge kick out of the women at my gym who will spend 30 minutes fixing hair and makeup and *then* go work out. I look like a hot enough mess after a workout as it is. Add in sweaty makeup, and I'd be like a horror show.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #6673 on: January 23, 2013, 08:29:02 PM »

Been there, done that.  I'm a professional killer of cell phones and every time I've had to buy another it's been the same song and dance.  Unless you're willing to get an iPhone, your best bet is to get a basic cellphone and and iPod Touch (which has Wi-Fi capability without having to pay anything.) I know some people tape their basic phone to their iPod. 

Another possibility is to go with a company that offers month-to-month service such as T-Mobile or Virgin Mobile.  You can get an unlimited voice/text/data plan for $50/month, and without a contract so you can get out anytime. I haven't tried them personally so I can't vouch for the value of their data but I'm seriously considering going with them when I finally enter the 21st century and get a smartphone.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6674 on: January 24, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »
BabylonSister wrote:

"Another possibility is to go with a company that offers month-to-month service such as T-Mobile or Virgin Mobile.  You can get an unlimited voice/text/data plan for $50/month, and without a contract so you can get out anytime. I haven't tried them personally so I can't vouch for the value of their data but I'm seriously considering going with them when I finally enter the 21st century and get a smartphone."

One warning I'll give in this is to check the coverage for your area, because the coverage pattern has one very important but rarely realized effect.  If the coverage in your area is spotty for the service you choose, your phone is going to spend more time hunting for signal, and the surprise effect of that hunt is that your battery won't last nearly as long.  As an example, I got a work phone on one network, and my wife got an identical handset but on a different carrier.  Because the coverage for my carrier is better, my battery lasts three or four times as long.  Trading batteries proved that it's not a faulty battery, so be aware and do your homework online before deciding.

Virg