Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1055964 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6690 on: January 30, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
I have a question about wedding etiquette. Does it go on this forum or the Hells Bells one? (Or do I do the thread both places?)

The Hells Bells one.

This forum use to have a Wedding topic, but it was closed and moved to Hells Bells.

(edited to delete a letter.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:05:44 PM by jpcher »

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6691 on: January 30, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »
New Question:

I'm not sure who to call or what to google (the airlines or the airport?) Is this even allowed any more?

DD#2 is going to France in a couple of months and she wants me to come inside the airport and wait with her until she boards the plane. I'd really like to do that, and I'd like to meet her at the arrival gate when she gets off the plane coming back home.

I am under the impression that you need to have a ticket in order to get past the security check-in. Is this true?

How do I find out what I need to do so that I can wait with her before departure and meet her once she arrives?

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #6692 on: January 30, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »
Unfortunately, yes, you need a ticket to get past security. 

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6693 on: January 30, 2013, 07:14:53 PM »
New Question:

I'm not sure who to call or what to google (the airlines or the airport?) Is this even allowed any more?

DD#2 is going to France in a couple of months and she wants me to come inside the airport and wait with her until she boards the plane. I'd really like to do that, and I'd like to meet her at the arrival gate when she gets off the plane coming back home.

I am under the impression that you need to have a ticket in order to get past the security check-in. Is this true?

How do I find out what I need to do so that I can wait with her before departure and meet her once she arrives?

I think I would first check the TSA website, or if there's a specific page of TSA requirements on the airport website.  You (and DD2) should get familiar with this information so she knows what she can pack, what can be carried on, plus how and when to check in for an international flight (even if she has a leg within the U.S.).  DD2 will also have to know what to do at customs in France.

In my experience, you need a boarding pass to get past security, and there is a passenger meeting area after landing.   However, there's nothing to lose by calling the airport and asking. 

The best you probably can do is to have a nice meal with her before she goes through the security.

Xandraea

« Reply #6694 on: January 30, 2013, 07:32:02 PM »
New Question:

I think I would first check the TSA website, or if there's a specific page of TSA requirements on the airport website.  You (and DD2) should get familiar with this information so she knows what she can pack, what can be carried on, plus how and when to check in for an international flight (even if she has a leg within the U.S.).  DD2 will also have to know what to do at customs in France.

In my experience, you need a boarding pass to get past security, and there is a passenger meeting area after landing.   However, there's nothing to lose by calling the airport and asking. 

The best you probably can do is to have a nice meal with her before she goes through the security.

I would have agreed with guihong, that with the exception of people who need extra help (young children, elderly, disabled), those without boarding passes are no longer allowed past security, BUT .. when I arrived home just after midnight last week after a 3 hour flight, the father and (10 yr?) daughter who sat beside me on the flight were greeted at the gate by the mother and another young child.  I don't know how they pulled that off, but it doesn't hurt to ask, especially as international flights generally require one to arrive earlier which can mean sitting around at the gate alone for longer.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6695 on: January 30, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »
You can get a specific pass to allow you through security, though I don't know if you have to ask TSA, the airport, or the airline (but that is the order in which I would try them).  Look under FAQ on TSA (at least, that's where I'd start).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Bluenomi

« Reply #6696 on: January 30, 2013, 08:40:51 PM »
Is she getting straight onto an international flight or has she got a domestic leg first?

Domestic you should be able to go to the gate but international you won't since she'll have to pass through immigration and you won't be allowed through.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6697 on: January 30, 2013, 10:16:03 PM »
It goes through the airline. They give one parent a companion pass that gets you all the way to the gate. It was trickier getting it for the return flight.

TSA was completely used to the process. You do need to carry as little as possible, since you go through security just like everyone else.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6698 on: January 31, 2013, 01:07:24 AM »
It goes through the airline. They give one parent a companion pass that gets you all the way to the gate. It was trickier getting it for the return flight.

TSA was completely used to the process. You do need to carry as little as possible, since you go through security just like everyone else.
Yes, DH got a security pass like that when his elderly parents came down the last time, so that he could meet them at the gate.  No problem at all, as long as you arrange for it several days ahead of the flight date.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jolyan

« Reply #6699 on: January 31, 2013, 03:36:27 AM »
This is definitely a stupid question, and one I could probably answer with a few hours of sorting through Google links to random advice forum posts, but I'm hoping you all will save me the headache :-)  I've had a persistent telemarketer calling my cell phone.  (New phone, but I've had the number for years.)  Google tells me it's someone giving away travel "prizes", most likely contingent on buying a timeshare.  I have no idea how my number ended up on their list, since I never use my phone and actually lost it for the last six months or so before buying this new one, but the comments I saw indicated they won't take you off their list so there's no point in asking.

is there a way to block specific incoming calls on a cell phone?  Does it vary by phone type?  I now have a samsung something or other, if that makes a difference.  I don't even know where to start looking - I dug through all the likely phone menus but didn't see anything.  This phone is capable if interrnet and taking videos and making cannolis and who knows what else, so there are a lot of menus :-)  I just use it for phone calls and the occasional text .

You can usually add a block by your providers website or by calling customer care.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6700 on: January 31, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »
RE: Passing security without a ticket.

Thanks for the info, everybody. I will definitely look into this further.

I know it was about 6 years ago my mother and I received passes to the arrival gate to pick up my nieces' and newphew. But they were minors and my sister made arrangements ahead of time. My mother even had a notarized letter from my sister.

I'm pretty sure it's just one long haul to Europe, no layover in the states.

Great advice, gui. Thank you.

emwithme

« Reply #6701 on: February 01, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »
Now this is a *really* stupid question

Do you floss BEFORE or AFTER brushing your teeth? 

blueyzca01

« Reply #6702 on: February 01, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »
I do it after.  Brushing loosens and digs out most of the surface gunk.  Flossing after enables you to get to the gunk brushing missed.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Betelnut

« Reply #6703 on: February 01, 2013, 01:45:41 PM »
Now this is a *really* stupid question

Do you floss BEFORE or AFTER brushing your teeth?

I floss before so that the brushing washes away the gunk that might have dropped out from the flossing.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6704 on: February 01, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »
Before, because the toothpaste has stuff in it that is supposed to protect the teeth and flossing would just wipe it off again.