Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1054540 times)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6705 on: February 01, 2013, 02:22:50 PM »
After, and I took that for granted until two minutes ago. But now that I think about it, the reasoning seems to have nothing to do with what would work best. It's just that people say "brush and floss your teeth," which implies that brushing goes first.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6706 on: February 01, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »
Before, as recommended by my dentist.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6707 on: February 01, 2013, 03:15:19 PM »
Brush to get the major stuff. Then floss to get the bits your brush couldn't reach. Then rinse with mouthwash to flush it all away.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6708 on: February 01, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »
After, and I took that for granted until two minutes ago. But now that I think about it, the reasoning seems to have nothing to do with what would work best. It's just that people say "brush and floss your teeth," which implies that brushing goes first.
And does anyone here put on their shoes and socks in that order?  >:D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6709 on: February 01, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »
I floss first, as recommended by my dentist and hygienist.  You floss first to remove and loosen bigger bits, then when you brush the toothpaste can get in between the teeth better to further clean.

Think of it like scrubbing and washing something - first you scrub off the big bits, then you use the soap and water to really clean it. Or like first you sweep or vacuum then you wash the floors. Or fist you kick the chunks of snow/mud off your boots, then you wipe them to get any remaining bits.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6710 on: February 01, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »

I've never heard that order...I've always heard, "Put on your socks and shoes."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6711 on: February 01, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »

Hmmm, interesting. I always brush first and then floss because that's the order that my dentist does it . . . after the cleaning, they do the polishing (brushing) then the final step is flossing.

But it makes sense to do it the other way around.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6712 on: February 01, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »
hobhish wrote:

"Oh, please please do you have the source for that? Not that i doubt you; i definitely don't. Gish always says he is a better driver than most people on the road, and i always say Everyone thinks that. I would love to have actual numbers from a qualified source."

The problem is that this study is just apocryphal, as no such study was ever done so nobody can cite it.  I just tell them it comes from the Institute where they figured out (in a different study, of course) that 84.7% of Internet statistics are made up on the spot.

Virg

The 97% (or 93% as I've heard it) statistic seems to be apocryphal, but the phenomenon is real. The cognitive bias in which the vast majority of people tend to rate themselves as above average in any number of domains is called illusory superiority, the Dunning-Kruger Effect, or the Lake Woebegone Effect. Some studies have looked specifically at driving and found that anywhere from 60-90% of people consider themselves above average drivers, either in certain ways (e.g., speed, number of violations) or overall. Here are a few references:

Svenson, O. (1981). Are we all less risky and more skillful than our fellow drivers?. Acta Psychologica, 47(2), 143–148.

McCormick, I. A., Walkey, F. H., & Green, D. E. (1986). Comparative perceptions of driver ability— A confirmation and expansion. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 18(3), 205–208.

Delhomme, P. (1991). Comparing one's driving with others': Assessment of ability and frequency of offenses. Evidence for a superior conformity of self-bias? Accident Analysis & Prevention, 23(6), 493-508.

Bathurst, J., & Walton, D. (1998). An Exploration of the Perceptions of the Average Driver’s Speed Compared to Perceived Driver Safety and Driving Skill. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 30, 821-830.

It seems like counting people who consider themselves above average only in "certain ways" in that statistic kind of makes it worthless. While I have no idea what the actual percentage would be, it seems quite possible for the majority of a population to be above average in at least one aspect of a complex task. Say you have a task that can be divided into parts A, B, and C. If 30% of the population are really good at A (but poor at B and/or C), 30% are really good at B (but poor at A and/or C), and 30% are really good at C (but poor at A and/or B), then you could legitimately have 90% of the population who are above average "in certain ways," even if those 90% are lousy at the overall, combined task. Consistently appropriate use of your headlights doesn't make you an above average driver overall, but it might legitimately make you above average in safe headlight operation. Lumping the two statistics together (above average driver overall vs. above average driver in "certain ways" seems absurd).

I was trying to be succint while not implying that all the research actually asked about overall driving skill. Different studies ask different questions. The overall trend is that people rate themselves above average on any driving skill they're asked to rate, whether it's headlight use, adherence to the speed limit, or whatever -- not only general ability.

I'm a little late chiming in here, but thanks. You are THE WOMAN. There is some really interesting stuff here.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Iris

« Reply #6713 on: February 01, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »

Funny, because my answer was going to be "After, as recommended by my dentist". It wasn't my dentist though, but my periodontist, so maybe one is better for teeth and the other better for gums (?)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #6714 on: February 01, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »

Yes, I was mostly noticing that my "reasoning" wasn't.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6715 on: February 02, 2013, 11:36:16 AM »

There was a hilarious scene in the old 'All in the Family' TV show.  Archie and Mike are having an argument on this very topic.  Archie maintains that the proper order is a 'sock and a sock then a shoe and a shoe' while Mike is in the 'sock and a shoe then a sock and a shoe' camp. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6716 on: February 02, 2013, 02:54:05 PM »

There was a hilarious scene in the old 'All in the Family' TV show.  Archie and Mike are having an argument on this very topic.  Archie maintains that the proper order is a 'sock and a sock then a shoe and a shoe' while Mike is in the 'sock and a shoe then a sock and a shoe' camp.

I'm firmly in a" put on a sock and put on a shoe, put on the other sock and the other shoe" camp.  I find it more efficient. 

I'm also a floss before you brush person.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

emwithme

« Reply #6717 on: February 02, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
Now I'm even more confused! 

I think I shall have a mini-brush before, to dislodge any big particles, then floss, then proper brush afterwards - until I can make an appointment with my dentist, and I shall ask her then. 

Redsoil

« Reply #6718 on: February 03, 2013, 07:29:07 AM »
The brushing and flossing is an easy one!

Brush first, then floss, THEN swish thoroughly with mouthwash!  :)

...and as for socks/shoes, I'm a sock/sock/shoe/shoe person. 

Quite possibly, someone could make a rap version of that!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6719 on: February 03, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »
The brushing and flossing is an easy one!

Brush first, then floss, THEN swish thoroughly with mouthwash!  :)

...and as for socks/shoes, I'm a sock/sock/shoe/shoe person. 

Quite possibly, someone could make a rap version of that!

Not that easy - my dentist, as well as those of several other posters, have recommended flossing first, then brushing. I am just about to search for some technical literature on the subject, as it is starting to bug me.