Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1053776 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6720 on: February 03, 2013, 09:47:38 AM »
The brushing and flossing is an easy one!

Brush first, then floss, THEN swish thoroughly with mouthwash!  :)

...and as for socks/shoes, I'm a sock/sock/shoe/shoe person. 

Quite possibly, someone could make a rap version of that!

Not that easy - my dentist, as well as those of several other posters, have recommended flossing first, then brushing. I am just about to search for some technical literature on the subject, as it is starting to bug me.

I just looked online - I can't believe I didn't do it before.

Both the American Dental Association and Askadentist.com say it doesn't matter!

(I said before to floss the brush to get the flouride in between the teeth.)

wheeitsme

« Reply #6721 on: February 03, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
It depends on the mouthwash.

I have one that is supposed to be used before (it loosens gunk), and one that is supposed to be used after (it kills germs n stuff).

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6722 on: February 04, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »
Am I shaving my armpits wrong?  Is there something I'm missing?  It never looks like I shaved, more like it's been a day or two.  I can never get that smooth, hairless look.  Am I doing something wrong or is it just my skin/hair pigment?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6723 on: February 04, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
I think it might depend on your hair/skin pigment.  If your hair is dark and your skin is very pale, even if the hair is cut a short as it can be, you'll still see it.  If your pits are quite concave, it is hard to get a close shave.

When I shave my pits, I shave down, then up, then sideways to the left then sideways to the right.  In other words, in all four directions.  I find it gives me the closest shave.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #6724 on: February 04, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »
Am I shaving my armpits wrong?  Is there something I'm missing?  It never looks like I shaved, more like it's been a day or two.  I can never get that smooth, hairless look.  Am I doing something wrong or is it just my skin/hair pigment?

The tip I got was to shave in all 4 directions, since the hair grows in different directions. It works pretty well, but doesn't look completely perfect. I think perfection requires waxing.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6725 on: February 04, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
Dark hair and pale skin makes you a really good candidate for laser treatment, too, for hair removal.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6726 on: February 04, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
Dark hair and pale skin makes you a really good candidate for laser treatment, too, for hair removal.

I've had laser hair removal elsewhere...and I love it!  The results are outstanding.  I guess if I want that smooth look I'll have to save for more.

I shave in all four directions, so I guess it must be my skin/hair.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6727 on: February 04, 2013, 03:02:09 PM »
I was watching one of the commercials that show a person depositing a check by taking a picture of it with their phone.

How do the banks prevent multiple people depositing it into different bank accounts at different banking institutions? I know eventually it would get caught but it seems like it is really open to fraud.

I get that if I write a check on my bank account at Bank A and it is deposited into another account at Bank A, that Bank A would be able to immediately take the funds out of my account and would have the check info to make sure no one else was able to try and deposit it into an account at Bank A.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6728 on: February 04, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »
Brush to get the major stuff. Then floss to get the bits your brush couldn't reach. Then rinse with mouthwash to flush it all away.

This is how I do it.  When I get my teeth cleaned at the dentist's office, flossing is the last thing the hygienist does, then she has me rinse.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #6729 on: February 04, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
I was watching one of the commercials that show a person depositing a check by taking a picture of it with their phone.

How do the banks prevent multiple people depositing it into different bank accounts at different banking institutions? I know eventually it would get caught but it seems like it is really open to fraud.

I get that if I write a check on my bank account at Bank A and it is deposited into another account at Bank A, that Bank A would be able to immediately take the funds out of my account and would have the check info to make sure no one else was able to try and deposit it into an account at Bank A.

It's been my experience that deposits through my banking app show as pending for a day or two before they release the funds to me.  That time was long enough for my bank to communicate with the other bank, make sure that there were funds available, and make sure that the check hadn't already been cashed.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6730 on: February 04, 2013, 04:54:33 PM »

I've had laser hair removal elsewhere...and I love it!  The results are outstanding.  I guess if I want that smooth look I'll have to save for more.

I shave in all four directions, so I guess it must be my skin/hair.

I shave in about six directions (up, down, and all the diagonals) and still can't get a close shave. I just have to take comfort in the fact that my hair isn't super dark, I always wear sleeves, and my husband mostly doesn't care.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6731 on: February 04, 2013, 05:10:07 PM »
The best (only?) way to get a shave so close you can't see the hair is to use photoshop  :-\

Jaelle

« Reply #6732 on: February 04, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
I feel so silly asking this.

I haven't been on an airplane in eight years. Neither has my husband. We're going on vacation with the boys in April, a 2 1/2-hour flight.

I was reading our airline's website to be sure I knew about everything that had changed and got to the bit about luggage. That's changed a lot in eight years!   ;)  We do get one checked bag each, but it has to be within certain dimensions. (I'm sure the frequent fliers out there are rolling their eyes at me! :D)

The height, width, etc. are fine, but ... how much does the average, good-sized, fully packed suitcase weigh? I have no idea. We don't have a scale in the house right now. Getting hit with one (or three!) of those hefty overweight baggage fees would really start our vacation off on the wrong foot. We'll just have clothes/toiletries, etc. and some souvenirs ... nothing too hefty.

Is this something I should be concerned about?  :-\

“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6733 on: February 04, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »
I feel so silly asking this.

I haven't been on an airplane in eight years. Neither has my husband. We're going on vacation with the boys in April, a 2 1/2-hour flight.

I was reading our airline's website to be sure I knew about everything that had changed and got to the bit about luggage. That's changed a lot in eight years!   ;)  We do get one checked bag each, but it has to be within certain dimensions. (I'm sure the frequent fliers out there are rolling their eyes at me! :D)

The height, width, etc. are fine, but ... how much does the average, good-sized, fully packed suitcase weigh? I have no idea. We don't have a scale in the house right now. Getting hit with one (or three!) of those hefty overweight baggage fees would really start our vacation off on the wrong foot. We'll just have clothes/toiletries, etc. and some souvenirs ... nothing too hefty.

Is this something I should be concerned about?  :-\

You'd have to have that thing stuffed full of clothes and other heavy items for it to be overweight, at least in my experience.  Seriously, I could barely close one of mine and it was about 5lbs underweight.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6734 on: February 04, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »
We overpacked a suitcase once, by about 5 pounds. It was a pretty big suitcase, and we had it PACKED. We shuffled some things around into our carry-ons and personal item bags, and it worked out, but man was I sweating bullets (we lived 2 hours from the airport and were already cutting it kind of close).

ETA: It won't be as accurate, but if you have a bathroom scale, you can get an idea of how heavy your bag is if you weigh it on there.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah