Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1110346 times)

2littlemonkeys

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6735 on: February 04, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »
and I think you can pick up one of those luggage scales at pretty much any store that sells anything related to travel for a couple of bucks.  There are basic ones for 10 bucks or so. 

magicdomino

« Reply #6736 on: February 04, 2013, 05:56:50 PM »
Do you have access to anything with a similar weight?  For instance, if the weight limit is 40 pounds, pick up a 40 pound bag of cat litter, bird seed, or fertilizer.  Pick up the loaded suitcase.  Which weighs less?  I'd make sure the suitcase weighs obviously less, just to make sure. 

I know that I have trouble carrying a 40 pound bag of whatever.  So, if I can easily carry my bag up the steps to the rest of the house, then it is within the checked bag limit.  Can I easily lift the carry-on above my head?  If yes, then it is fine too.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6737 on: February 04, 2013, 06:14:07 PM »
You can certainly get a luggage scale.  You can also weigh yourself on a standard bathroom scale and then weigh yourself holding the bag.  We've always been well within the weight limit using this method. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6738 on: February 04, 2013, 06:20:07 PM »
You can certainly get a luggage scale.  You can also weigh yourself on a standard bathroom scale and then weigh yourself holding the bag.  We've always been well within the weight limit using this method. 

Yep, this.  I've only once ever come close to being over the weight limit and that was when I was checking my huge pullman that had 10 pounds of weights in there plus full packed with clothes, shoes, hairdryer, and a lot of  books.  I only got up to 32 pounds.  I just put the bag on the bathroom scales to check the weight.  Ours is digital and is pretty good to the pound.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6739 on: February 04, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »
The only time I got close to the weight limit was when I was packing ski boots in my suitcase.  If it is just a regular sized suitcase, one size up from the one that can be a carry on, you shouldn't be able to pack it so full that it is overweight.

I've also done the bathroom scale method to weigh myself then myself plus the bag.  It is much easier to do with someone else to look at the scale.  It is hard to see over the bag to see the scale yourself.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Jaelle

« Reply #6740 on: February 04, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »
Hey, thank you all. I'm pretty sure we're good, then. I do not actually have a bathroom scale in the house right now, and I don't want to buy a luggage scale if we might not fly for another eight years! (Should buy a new bathroom one, but ...  :P ::) ;))

magicdomino, amusingly, we do have something that weighs about 40 pounds. The boys! :D
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6741 on: February 04, 2013, 11:47:41 PM »
A reasonably-sized suitcase packed with normal travel stuff (i.e. mostly clothes) will probably be in the 25-30 pound range, maybe a little more if you roll your clothes instead of fold them.  You can easily get toward 40 pounds if you are hauling two or three textbooks, a laptop, heavy souvenirs, etc. on top of an already-full suitcase.  This may have been more of a problem for those of us who went to college a thousand miles away from home and had to cram all our worldly possessions in our bags to come home on break  :)

If you're worried about it, my advice is to leave space in your carry-on and to stick the heaviest stuff at the very bottom of the suitcase near the zipper.  Then if your suitcase is overweight, you can easily get two or three things out and carry them by hand instead.  It's not as fun if you have to haul a heavy carry-on with you, but it beats paying extra fees!

Oh, another piece of advice: now that airlines pretty much all charge for checked bags, the situation with carry-ons has gotten even worse.  Don't assume you'll be able to put your carry-on in the overhead bin, especially on a full flight in a large plane if you're not one of the first ones on board.  I like to use a small duffel bag or shoulder satchel for a carry-on, because I can stuff it under the seat ahead of me if I have to.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #6742 on: February 05, 2013, 05:26:21 AM »
I don't know how you all get such light suitcases. Maybe I'm just a rubbish packer.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #6743 on: February 05, 2013, 08:29:21 AM »
I don't know how you all get such light suitcases. Maybe I'm just a rubbish packer.

Agreed.  We did a 2 week trip to Hawaii over the summer.  We used our largest suitcases (measurement-wise it was the largest allowed before extra fees would be applied).  We were barely under the weight limit.  But, you also have to consider the weight of the bag itself.  We purchased our bags in 2005 and they weigh nearly 14 pounds empty.  The next big/long trip we take by plane we will probably donate our old bags to GoodWill and purchase newer, lighter weight ones.

We were a little nervous about our bags on the flight home because of the souveniors we had purchased so we went to the post office and shipped home some clothes in a flat rate box - saved us 8 pounds.

magicdomino

« Reply #6744 on: February 05, 2013, 10:11:47 AM »

Experience.  After you've hauled suitcases by yourself across huge airports, up and down stairs, and down streets when you've gotten off at the wrong stop, you learn to cut the weight anyway you can.   :) 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6745 on: February 05, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
Hey, thank you all. I'm pretty sure we're good, then. I do not actually have a bathroom scale in the house right now, and I don't want to buy a luggage scale if we might not fly for another eight years! (Should buy a new bathroom one, but ...  :P ::) ;))

magicdomino, amusingly, we do have something that weighs about 40 pounds. The boys! :D

Luggage scales are cheap and little things.  After weighing the bag you can put the scale inside to make sure you're all right on the way home. 

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6746 on: February 05, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »
I am always skirting close to the weight limit on checked baggage, in part because I tend to bring lots of books with me when I travel. Even paperbacks can be heavier than you think. Then again, my husband also ends up tossing in a few hardbound books (for work) on any given trip, so that probably doesn't help.

At any rate, even with just clothes and toiletries and normal souvenirs, any suitcase larger than the one just above carry-on size is going to have a very real potential of being overweight. It's also much harder now than it used to be, since 8 years ago most airlines probably had 70 lb weight limits before they started charging. Most dropped it to 50 lbs around 2005 or 2006. When you have 70 lbs to work with, you practically have to pack rocks to be overweight. But when it's only 50 lbs, even seemingly light things add up fast.

I'd much rather play the "reshuffle all the bags" game at home than at the airport, so I always use the bathroom scale method. Sometimes I'll end up with one bag 5 pounds over and the other 10 pounds under, so I try to make sure that I evenly distribute the things that are heavy as well as the things that are bulky but lightweight. The other trick is that most rolling suitcases (which don't have hard sides) protect their contents better if they are full. So it's always a bit of a trick getting them full enough that the lid doesn't cave in without making them heavy enough to be over the weight limit.

On my most recent trip, my husband and I brought two rather enormous checked bags (one was 28" and one was 27", I think), and just barely made it under the 50 lb weight limit. I normally try to travel much lighter than that (we usually will share a checked bag), but this was a three week trip to visit his family, and it will be at least a couple years before we are able to go back. We had a lot of presents to bring with us, and a lot to bring home.

We totally were at least 20 pounds over our limit on the way home, too. We were just lucky that international flights allow 2 checked bags per person, and we traveled there with just one each. We borrowed a duffel bag from my in-laws and put nearly all our books in it. It was the size of a gym bag, and weighed about 16 pounds. :)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6747 on: February 05, 2013, 10:51:36 AM »
Last trip by airplane, it was cheaper to go buy a NEW rolling carryon that met the size standards and a used combination laptop & book bag (thrift shop had one with a business college's name embroidered on it) that had room for my laptop, a small purse, my meds, and a few other odds & ends.

The rolling carryon was easy to push or pull, the laptop & book bag had a shoulder strap - I used a wallet with a wrist strap that fit into the front zippered pocket of the bag & packed a purse to use once I got to where I was going.  I had space for an ereader, my tickets, cell phone, and such that I NEEDED access to in the front of the bookbag and the thing cspread apart (clips) to flatten out for the x-ray machine. 

As a bonus, VorSon is now using the book bag & laptop combination for his college classes (although he doesn't currently take a laptop at school - if he chooses to start, he will be able to carry it).

The rolling case also had an expansion zipper in it to become about an inch deeper - I didn't need that space - but I was amazed at how much extra space it made when I used the same rolling carryon to pack for a car trip later). 

And even packed with stuff for a good week (I had access to a washer & dryer and was going to be there two weeks) - it wasn't too heavy to lift over my head. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6748 on: February 05, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »
A good rule is: get the bag all packed, then imagine running through a terminal with it.  If you can't run (or walk very fast!), it's too heavy.   Remember the tendency to overpack. 

Since 1997, I've always packed an empty duffel bag in my suitcase, for souveniers.  This was a lesson after I spent a summer in China and had so much stuff, I had to leave most of my clothes behind  ::)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6749 on: February 05, 2013, 11:12:17 AM »
I am always skirting close to the weight limit on checked baggage, in part because I tend to bring lots of books with me when I travel. Even paperbacks can be heavier than you think. Then again, my husband also ends up tossing in a few hardbound books (for work) on any given trip, so that probably doesn't help.

And that is why after one particular trip I finally caved and got a Kindle. :)  I pretty much just use it for trips, but it's totally worth it!