Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1082101 times)

magicdomino

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6750 on: February 05, 2013, 11:22:31 AM »
The other trick is that most rolling suitcases (which don't have hard sides) protect their contents better if they are full. So it's always a bit of a trick getting them full enough that the lid doesn't cave in without making them heavy enough to be over the weight limit.

Bubble wrap is your friend.   :)  On the way back, it can be used to wrap fragile souvenirs.

For books, I stick to used paperbacks, and abandon them after reading (Many smaller hotels have a reading shelf for unwanted books).  At my destination, I buy a book or two for the flight back.  If I still traveled more often than once every other year, I'd probably break down and buy a Kindle or Nook.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6751 on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
We do 'Combat Packing'.  It's time-consuming but works.  We use two bags and pack half of his stuff and half of my stuff in each.  That way, if a bag gets lost we each still have a variety of clothes to wear.  It also makes it easier to balance the weight.

Xandraea

« Reply #6752 on: February 05, 2013, 12:26:27 PM »
I recently went on a 2.5 week road trip which ended with a flight back home, and I was determined to pack in a carry-on, as I hate checking bags and I'd rather keep my things with me.  I managed to make it with a backpack (same one I carried my books in at High School), my tiny purse, and a couple envirosax roll-up bags.  While traveling I used a roll-up bag for laundry, which was washed once, then packed the last few days of worn clothes in it within the backpack.  I used the 2nd roll-up bag as my "personal item" for the flights home, putting my purse, puzzle book and toiletry bag in it (easy access at the airport scanners).  Result: NO checked bags, one backpack and light bag under the seat in front of me.

Watching people struggling to cram their overstuffed rolling carry-ons into overhead bins provided some entertainment .. waiting for the un-cramming at the end of the flight was not so fun.  Being able to go straight from the plane to the curb to meet my ride, totally worth it.

http://www.envirosax.com/   << these things are great!

#1aunt

« Reply #6753 on: February 05, 2013, 02:01:07 PM »
I feel so silly asking this.

I haven't been on an airplane in eight years. Neither has my husband. We're going on vacation with the boys in April, a 2 1/2-hour flight.

I was reading our airline's website to be sure I knew about everything that had changed and got to the bit about luggage. That's changed a lot in eight years!   ;)  We do get one checked bag each, but it has to be within certain dimensions. (I'm sure the frequent fliers out there are rolling their eyes at me! :D)

The height, width, etc. are fine, but ... how much does the average, good-sized, fully packed suitcase weigh? I have no idea. We don't have a scale in the house right now. Getting hit with one (or three!) of those hefty overweight baggage fees would really start our vacation off on the wrong foot. We'll just have clothes/toiletries, etc. and some souvenirs ... nothing too hefty.

Is this something I should be concerned about?  :-\

I work for a major airline and travel frequently.  The rule-of-thumb I use is if I can easily lift my bag with my non-dominant hand it'll be well below the weight limit. 

Fell free to send me a PM if you have any other questions.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6754 on: February 05, 2013, 02:07:42 PM »
I am always skirting close to the weight limit on checked baggage, in part because I tend to bring lots of books with me when I travel. Even paperbacks can be heavier than you think. Then again, my husband also ends up tossing in a few hardbound books (for work) on any given trip, so that probably doesn't help.

And that is why after one particular trip I finally caved and got a Kindle. :)  I pretty much just use it for trips, but it's totally worth it!

Same here. We also have an Android tablet and an iPad that can be used for reading, since there are three of us. We also use boat bags instead of duffles, as they are more water resistant and seem to have tougher zippers. We use scrunch sacks, which are available in the camping section at most department stores, to pack underwear, socks and t-shirts. Makes them much more compact.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6755 on: February 05, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
We do 'Combat Packing'.  It's time-consuming but works.  We use two bags and pack half of his stuff and half of my stuff in each.  That way, if a bag gets lost we each still have a variety of clothes to wear.  It also makes it easier to balance the weight.

That is brillliant.  (Says she whose luggage often gets lost  >:( )

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6756 on: February 05, 2013, 04:47:08 PM »
Another stupid luggage question --

Does a purse or backpack count as a carry-on? DD#1 is flying soon and has a perfect carry-on size bag. But she wants to bring her rather large purse (or her backpack) with her.

I'm betting not the back-pack, but what about her rather large purse?

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #6757 on: February 05, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
You get one carry on and one "personal item". I never had an issue with that personal item being a backpack or large messenger bag in addition to your typical carryon suitcase.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6758 on: February 05, 2013, 04:59:47 PM »
Done with my skimming luggage. Move on please..

We use some coffee and bananas and have resources to other fresh debris. We need to refresh out tomato garden.

Any suggestions?

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #6759 on: February 05, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
Another stupid luggage question --

Does a purse or backpack count as a carry-on? DD#1 is flying soon and has a perfect carry-on size bag. But she wants to bring her rather large purse (or her backpack) with her.

I'm betting not the back-pack, but what about her rather large purse?

When I've flown, I could carry on one "carry-on bag" and one "personal item". The rule as I understood it (for the airlines I flew on) is that your "personal item" must fit under the seat in front of you. If the flight is full, they usually announce that your personal item must be placed under the seat in front of you if you have two items. Unfortunately, they don't seem to actually enforce this.  :( My backpack usually fits fine under the seat, although it doesn't give me a lot of footroom, especially on small planes. I've never had any issue carrying my rolling carry-on and a backpack--no one has questioned it. I would encourage her to take either the purse or backpack in addition to the carry-on bag, and pack everything she wants access to on the flight (or that she doesn't want out of her possession) in that bag. If the flight is full and all the bins fill up or if she goes on a small plane with small overhead bins, she may be required to gate-check the roller bag, but she'll still have her purse or backpack.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6760 on: February 05, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »
Most airlines have size specifications for the carry on suitcase and for the personal item.  If her items fit inside those dimensions, she shouldn't have any trouble.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6761 on: February 05, 2013, 05:24:21 PM »
Your carry-on goes in the overhead bins, and you're not allowed to access it in-flight. So make sure she puts everything she wants to use into her purse.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6762 on: February 05, 2013, 05:28:07 PM »
Your carry-on goes in the overhead bins, and you're not allowed to access it in-flight. So make sure she puts everything she wants to use into her purse.

I've accessed mine in flight plenty of times...once the fasten seat belt light was off.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6763 on: February 05, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »

I've accessed mine in flight plenty of times...once the fasten seat belt light was off.

Huh. Maybe I'm just flying the wrong airlines. It's always been very clearly emphasized that it is NOT OK to open the overhead bins in flight.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #6764 on: February 05, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »

Huh. Maybe I'm just flying the wrong airlines. It's always been very clearly emphasized that it is NOT OK to open the overhead bins in flight.

I think it depends on the size of the airplane too. Iíve flown the same airline around the same time, once international, once domestic. On the large jet, we were allowed to open the overhead bins. On the small puddle jumper it was stressed not to.