Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1053176 times)

magicdomino

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6765 on: February 05, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »
Done with my skimming luggage. Move on please..

We use some coffee and bananas and have resources to other fresh debris. We need to refresh out tomato garden.

Any suggestions?

Is this for a compost pile? 

My tomatoes get a handful of crushed egg shells or lime in their holes, and an inch of compost spread like a mulch on top.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6766 on: February 05, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »
Some crushed eggshells in the hole, when you plant the tomato plants, is great.  You need a lot, though.  About the equivalent of a dozen eggs per hole.

The banana (peels), you'd want to compost down.  The coffee grounds can be spread right on the ground or can be mixed with some soil or compost and worked into the soil around the plants with another layer right on top.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

squeakers

« Reply #6767 on: February 05, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »
Pine needles will help if you don't already have acidic soil. Mulch them will a mower or just sprinkle them around the tomatoes.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6768 on: February 05, 2013, 06:53:55 PM »
I feel so silly asking this.

I haven't been on an airplane in eight years. Neither has my husband. We're going on vacation with the boys in April, a 2 1/2-hour flight.

I was reading our airline's website to be sure I knew about everything that had changed and got to the bit about luggage. That's changed a lot in eight years!   ;)  We do get one checked bag each, but it has to be within certain dimensions. (I'm sure the frequent fliers out there are rolling their eyes at me! :D )

The height, width, etc. are fine, but ... how much does the average, good-sized, fully packed suitcase weigh? I have no idea. We don't have a scale in the house right now. Getting hit with one (or three!) of those hefty overweight baggage fees would really start our vacation off on the wrong foot. We'll just have clothes/toiletries, etc. and some souvenirs ... nothing too hefty.

Is this something I should be concerned about?  :-\
I see that some people on this query are talking about laptops in your suitcase.  DO NOT pack anything in your checked bags that has any intrinsic value.  NO jewelry, NO electronics, NO prescription meds, especially.  Remember that you are no longer allowed to lock your bags, so any terminal employee has access to them.  Reported thefts from checked bags total tens of thousands of dollars a year.  My jewelry (such as it is), my prescriptions, my Nook, and my CPAP machine all travel as carryon, all in one backpack that fits under the seats of even the little puddle-jumper jets that fly into small regional airports.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6769 on: February 05, 2013, 06:58:08 PM »
Another stupid luggage question --

Does a purse or backpack count as a carry-on? DD#1 is flying soon and has a perfect carry-on size bag. But she wants to bring her rather large purse (or her backpack) with her.

I'm betting not the back-pack, but what about her rather large purse?
I have a fanny-pack, a tote bag with my traveling quilt project in it, and the backpack with my CPAP. No airline official has ever said "You have too many carryons." (And if they do, I have the out, since the CPAP is necessary medical equipment.)   A purse and a backpack are fine.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Carotte

« Reply #6770 on: February 05, 2013, 07:10:13 PM »
Just a word to say that some lowcost airlines only let you have one carry-on, no purse/backpack if you already have something else. It's always a good idea to check the airline site for this kind of info.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6771 on: February 06, 2013, 09:55:48 AM »
I am always skirting close to the weight limit on checked baggage, in part because I tend to bring lots of books with me when I travel. Even paperbacks can be heavier than you think. Then again, my husband also ends up tossing in a few hardbound books (for work) on any given trip, so that probably doesn't help.

And that is why after one particular trip I finally caved and got a Kindle. :)  I pretty much just use it for trips, but it's totally worth it!

Even with my iPod with its Kindle app, and a library that checks out eBooks, I still end up with multiple physical books on any given trip. What can I say, I like to read. :)

Also, it's really my husband that weighs us down with books these days. I think on our most recent trip, he brought 3 hardbacks with him, purchased/was given a few super dense academic-type books while we were there, and bought up about 20 small books that he can only get in his home country. My 4 paperbacks were so not the problem. ;) A tablet of some variety is in his future before we do any more long-haul flights like this last one.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #6772 on: February 06, 2013, 09:59:53 AM »
Just a word to say that some lowcost airlines only let you have one carry-on, no purse/backpack if you already have something else. It's always a good idea to check the airline site for this kind of info.

And some airports have the same restrictions, regardless of the airline. Heathrow was still one item only, with no exceptions, at Christmas time. So you need to check both ends.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6773 on: February 06, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

And some airports have the same restrictions, regardless of the airline. Heathrow was still one item only, with no exceptions, at Christmas time. So you need to check both ends.

I got caught right when Heathrow changed the rules. Left LAX with a laptop case and a carry-on bag (small backpack.) Changing planes at Heathrow (I was bound for Vienna, IIRC) in a very long line full of people trying to consolidate their bags into a single carry-on. I managed to do it, with stuff hanging out of the bag. The security were being at least a little lenient about it at the time. That was when I switched from to bags to a backpack that can also carry my laptop. That was also the year that my checked baggage got delayed three or four times, so I got very good at keeping a change of clothes in my backpack.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6774 on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:10 PM »
Sort of an etiquette question along the lines of all you can eat for certain items.

My family just LOVES steamed crabs but it's a rare treat for us since they're rather pricey and there's 4 of us who can open them (5 when my friend was along with us).  Often these places have rules against sharing with those who have not ordered the AYCE crab feast. Which is understandable.   Last time we did this we went to Waterman's in Ocean City, MD and they have a kid's crab feast that's less expensive with about two crabs and a lot of sides so if they don't eat it all, no big deal.  Plus at the time I was pregnant with the babe so this didn't come up. 

But if we were to take the babe out for AYCE crabs, would a restaurant count us feeding him bits of crab meat as sharing? By the time we're able to do the AYCE at a restaurant, he'll probably be about 2 1/2 but won't have the dexterity to open a steamed crab himself.   So it's not like even ordering the children's crab meal would make sense.  And even if we could open it for him, I doubt he'd even eat a whole crab's worth of the meat, let alone the two that come with the children's meal. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6775 on: February 07, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
Sort of an etiquette question along the lines of all you can eat for certain items.

My family just LOVES steamed crabs but it's a rare treat for us since they're rather pricey and there's 4 of us who can open them (5 when my friend was along with us).  Often these places have rules against sharing with those who have not ordered the AYCE crab feast. Which is understandable.   Last time we did this we went to Waterman's in Ocean City, MD and they have a kid's crab feast that's less expensive with about two crabs and a lot of sides so if they don't eat it all, no big deal.  Plus at the time I was pregnant with the babe so this didn't come up. 

But if we were to take the babe out for AYCE crabs, would a restaurant count us feeding him bits of crab meat as sharing? By the time we're able to do the AYCE at a restaurant, he'll probably be about 2 1/2 but won't have the dexterity to open a steamed crab himself.   So it's not like even ordering the children's crab meal would make sense.  And even if we could open it for him, I doubt he'd even eat a whole crab's worth of the meat, let alone the two that come with the children's meal.

I've never had a problem with this at other all-you-can-eat type places, so I'm assuming they wouldn't mind.  Of course, that also assumes he eats like a normal toddler (i.e. "nothing, almost nothing, almost nothing, EAT ALL THE THINGS, nothing, nothing, almost nothing . . .") and it's not one of the "I can eat more than my weight in food today" days.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #6776 on: February 07, 2013, 03:06:03 PM »

I think it would be better to just ask each restaurant as it comes up. You could call ahead if you're really concerned or just ask before you order. It seems like something that would really depend on the restaurant and how strictly they interpret the policy. Technically you'd be sharing, which is against the rules, but I suspect most restaurants would consider getting several adult orders of a pricey seafood worth letting you share a very small amount with your toddler. Also, asking and being willing to accept "no" as an answer makes it clear that you're not just trying to cheat the restaurant on the all-you-can-eat deal, so they might be more willing to let you do it than if they caught you sharing with the kid without asking.

I'm puzzled, though: If the toddler is eating crab, why does it matter in terms of the meal purchasing whether or not he can open it himself? Don't parents have to assist their toddlers in eating a lot of foods? Or are you saying that having someone else open the kid's crabs would make it look like there was unapproved sharing going on? ???

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6777 on: February 07, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »
Just answering for my own experience here, but crab and pistachios are two nightmare foods to have around Babybartfast because she can chow down faster than I can crack  ;)  If I didn't have DH to help crack some when we do steamed crab at home, I'd never actually get to eat my own!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6778 on: February 07, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »

I think it would be better to just ask each restaurant as it comes up. You could call ahead if you're really concerned or just ask before you order. It seems like something that would really depend on the restaurant and how strictly they interpret the policy. Technically you'd be sharing, which is against the rules, but I suspect most restaurants would consider getting several adult orders of a pricey seafood worth letting you share a very small amount with your toddler. Also, asking and being willing to accept "no" as an answer makes it clear that you're not just trying to cheat the restaurant on the all-you-can-eat deal, so they might be more willing to let you do it than if they caught you sharing with the kid without asking.

I'm puzzled, though: If the toddler is eating crab, why does it matter in terms of the meal purchasing whether or not he can open it himself? Don't parents have to assist their toddlers in eating a lot of foods? Or are you saying that having someone else open the kid's crabs would make it look like there was unapproved sharing going on? ???

Well by two most children can manage most kids menu foods such as chicken nuggets and sides.  But steamed crabs are not really an easy thing for a toddler to open themselves.  There's breaking off the legs, pulling the shell off, scooping out the nasties and breaking through the inner shell to get to the meat.  It's quite the process. And some parts, like the lungs, shouldn't be eaten. 

Steamed crab is really one of those foods where it takes more time to get to the meat than it does to actually eat it.  But for those who love it, it is so very worth it.  I tend to spend at least 5 minutes per crab.  And he is a very good eater on most days and always wants to try some of what we're having.  He's just 15 months now so it could change but if he's anything like his brothers, it won't. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Carotte

« Reply #6779 on: February 07, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »
Googling it hasn't turned up anything yet so I'm trying here:

I have windows 8 and use Chrome, since yesterday everytime I open chrome the windows is full size and I can't see the desktop bar (with everything that is open, the time..). It's not in F11 mode since I can put it in F11 (that makes the chrome's open tabs disappear).
I don't know how I did it, I just want to be able to see everything  :(
The minimise/close buttons on the top right hand have also disappeared, I'm lost, any one can help me?

/ while using the 'spell check' turns out it opens in a new tab, not a pop-up window like it should..

OK, never mind, found it. It was in windows 8 mode, you just have to click on 'relance chrome in desktop mode' or something.
I'll leave the Q&A in case it can be usefull for anyone.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:43:24 PM by Carotte »