Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1024387 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6795 on: February 08, 2013, 08:18:21 PM »
New stupid question . . . RE: Internet signals.

I have a lap-top and my favorite place to use the internet is on my enclosed porch. The router/modem/whatever is in my basement.

I would say that 95% of the time my lap-top internet usage is zooomin. Works like a charm.

Then there are the times when I'm in my usual place, and internet access is so very slow, even though it still shows 3-4 bars on the internet icon. (It can take up to 5 minutes to call up an internet site.)

If I bring my laptop inside (maybe a difference of 7 feet) I can sign onto whatever site, then bring my laptop back outside and internet is, again, zooming. I can browse different sites with great speed.

Stupid question . . . why does this happen?

Three options - someone is piggybacking on your signal, slowdown is the internet signal to the neighborhood (cable or satellite) due to more people being home (cable) or weather, or - you're sitting in an area with more "stuff" between you & the router - move over a bit.  Or put a signal booster just inside the house by the porch. 

Kim Komando has instructions on how to do it with an empty soda can on her website......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Tea Drinker

« Reply #6796 on: February 08, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
Wireless means radio/electromagnetic signals. All sorts of devices put out signals that can interfere with that. Not just things that are supposed to be signaling, like a portable phone handset or a cell phone. If there's imperfectly insulated wiring in the wall, that could be creating interference. The amount might vary depending on how much current is flowing; if what's plugged in is a light or television that's only on part of the time (rather than, say, an electric clock), you'll have an intermittent problem.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

clio917

« Reply #6797 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:37 AM »
Wireless means radio/electromagnetic signals. All sorts of devices put out signals that can interfere with that. Not just things that are supposed to be signaling, like a portable phone handset or a cell phone. If there's imperfectly insulated wiring in the wall, that could be creating interference. The amount might vary depending on how much current is flowing; if what's plugged in is a light or television that's only on part of the time (rather than, say, an electric clock), you'll have an intermittent problem.

In our last apartment, our wireless would die whenever we had the microwave running...

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6798 on: February 09, 2013, 02:58:46 PM »

You bring up a good point. It was less than a year ago when my Service Provider called me and said that they detected interference with my signal. They came out and checked my outside cable first and found a faulty cable, said that it looked like squirrel damage. They replaced the cable and that didn't fix the problem so they proceeded inside.

Inside they checked all the wiring, connections, outlets, what was plugged in (including microwave), etc.

They found two minor old connectors, which they replaced, and one major problem . . . the very old TV that I had in my bedroom.

SP tech said "Wow. Look at this." He had his meter thingy hooked up to the TV and I saw all these fuzzy dots flying all over his meter screen. He unhooked the TV and all those fuzzy dots settled down into a pretty straight line. It was really quite interesting.

After all was said and done (they were out for close to 2 hours, with no charge to me!:o) once the old TV was unplugged, I was amazed as to how much more speed I had on my internet.

Oh, and today? Internet access is, once again, zooming . . . in my usual spot.

Barney girl

« Reply #6799 on: February 10, 2013, 08:04:44 AM »
Is it becoming less common for the audience to stand during the Hallelujah Chorus?
I was watching Howard Goodall's History of Music last week on BBC4. He was illustrating one point showing a performance of the Chorus. You couldn't see the audience very well, but it seemed about half weren't standing. I've never known that before.

kckgirl

« Reply #6800 on: February 10, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »
Is it becoming less common for the audience to stand during the Hallelujah Chorus?
I was watching Howard Goodall's History of Music last week on BBC4. He was illustrating one point showing a performance of the Chorus. You couldn't see the audience very well, but it seemed about half weren't standing. I've never known that before.

I went to a holiday concert in December where only about 10 people stood. People who asked me about it afterward said they saw people standing but didn't know why.
Maryland

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6801 on: February 10, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »

Definitely.
Its not something everyone just knows, so if people aren't specifically told to do it they aren't going to. 

My stepmom sings in a chorus and they perform Hallelujah every year and the conductor introduces it with the story of the king standing and how its become tradition, etc.  So the audience stands... but I have to say I think its a silly tradition, rooted in silliness and I don't particularly care for it.  Evening knowing its what is done, if I were at a performance where the audience wasn't told about standing, I would certainly choose to sit.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6802 on: February 10, 2013, 10:24:25 AM »
I still stand for the Hallelujah Chorus, the US National anthem, and America the Beautiful. To each their own.

Edited to fix a brain blip.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:52:34 PM by ladyknight1 »

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6803 on: February 10, 2013, 10:34:25 AM »
I still stand for the Hallelujah Chorus, the US National anthem, and the Star-Spangled Banner. To each their own.

Time for my stupid question.... Aren't the US national anthem and the Star-Spangled Banner the same?  The "Oh say can you see..." one?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6804 on: February 10, 2013, 10:50:17 AM »
I still stand for the Hallelujah Chorus, the US National anthem, and the Star-Spangled Banner. To each their own.

Time for my stupid question.... Aren't the US national anthem and the Star-Spangled Banner the same?  The "Oh say can you see..." one?

Yes they are the same.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6805 on: February 10, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »

Definitely.
Its not something everyone just knows, so if people aren't specifically told to do it they aren't going to. 

My stepmom sings in a chorus and they perform Hallelujah every year and the conductor introduces it with the story of the king standing and how its become tradition, etc.  So the audience stands... but I have to say I think its a silly tradition, rooted in silliness and I don't particularly care for it.  Evening knowing its what is done, if I were at a performance where the audience wasn't told about standing, I would certainly choose to sit.

...Well, I'm a reasonably well-educated person and singer who has heard and performed the Hallelujah Chorus on many occasions, and I've never in my life heard of a tradition for people standing during it. So it's not like it's something that people are just going to divine on their own, and it's obviously not being taught everywhere even among the musically inclined. I wouldn't be surprised at ordinary concert-goers not knowing about it unless they're told.

Barney girl

« Reply #6806 on: February 10, 2013, 01:20:25 PM »
Perhaps it's more UK based. We perform the Messiah every couple of years (partly because we know people will turn out for that so we can refill our coffers). I've never known people not to stand and I suppose when you have several hundred people suddenly getting to their feet those who aren't in the know will stand as well. That's why I was surprised not to see it in this programme, but it's possible that the performance he was using extracts from wasn't filmed in the UK.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6807 on: February 10, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
Perhaps it's more UK based. We perform the Messiah every couple of years (partly because we know people will turn out for that so we can refill our coffers). I've never known people not to stand and I suppose when you have several hundred people suddenly getting to their feet those who aren't in the know will stand as well. That's why I was surprised not to see it in this programme, but it's possible that the performance he was using extracts from wasn't filmed in the UK.

Nope; not more UK based. I grew up standing for it,  in central US all of my life. I've never been to a performance when we didn't stand, even if that was the only part of 'The Messiah' performed.

There was a U-Tube of a mall crash in the food food court and the diners stood.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6808 on: February 10, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »
Okay, stupid question regarding the Messiah/Hallelujah chorus and standing -- why do people stand up? What is the reasoning behind the protocol?

This question can be applied to the (US) national anthem . . . or the recitation of the pledge to the flag.

Is standing up more respectful? Why?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6809 on: February 10, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »

This is my stupid question and i wouldn't be able to ask this anywhere else. I work with a black guy in his mid 20's or who has a widow's peak kind of thing going on with his hair. In between the hair on the side of his head and the hair on his forehead is skin that is black - not African American black, not caramel, not brown, just black. It isn't a birthmark, the line is too straight. What is that?

As a girl....my first thoughts are...

Hair dye line? or little messy with using Grecian Formula?

That is what i am thinking, too.

Thanks, y'all, for answering. It's so completely none of my business what is going on with his head and it doesn't bother me any (except repressing the urge to stare at it  :-[) ... i debated for a week over being too embarrassed to ask. EHellions rock.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem