News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 06, 2016, 03:15:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1423252 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6825 on: February 12, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »
Definately change your password.  Make it very complicated.  Make it so complicated you have to write it on scrap paper and hide it under your monitor.  If you are feeling ambitious change the passwords for all of your accounts.

Do not write it down and store it under your monitor; that's a good way for it to get hacked if anyone breaks into your house.

I didn't think of your house being broken into. 

You could write it on paper and store it in a more secure location.  I once saw a female police officer on TV suggesting you store valuables in a box of lady product under the bathroom sink.  According to her most thieves are men and most men won't look there.  Or maybe in the freezer because no one keeps paper in the freezer.   

I always kept a slip of paper in my wallet with the passwords on it.   It's very safe.  The paper doesn't say anything about what the strange list of numbers and letters are - it's just a small list. 
Yeah, someone could try them on everything over and over, but that's work. 

For valuables...for a short time, I kept a pile of cash in my apartment, and one of my friends suggested that I double-bag it in ziploc baggies, and bury it at the bottom of the litter box.  We called it the Bank of [cat's name].    I also keep valuables buried in my fabric 'wall'.   You'd have to pull every piece out to find the money, and yes, there is a LOT of fabric - hence the name Fabric Wall.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #6826 on: February 12, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
Definately change your password.  Make it very complicated.  Make it so complicated you have to write it on scrap paper and hide it under your monitor.  If you are feeling ambitious change the passwords for all of your accounts.

Do not write it down and store it under your monitor; that's a good way for it to get hacked if anyone breaks into your house.

You could write it on paper and store it in a more secure location.  I once saw a female police officer on TV suggesting you store valuables in a box of lady product under the bathroom sink.  According to her most thieves are men and most men won't look there.  Or maybe in the freezer because no one keeps paper in the freezer.   

I always kept a slip of paper in my wallet with the passwords on it.   It's very safe.  The paper doesn't say anything about what the strange list of numbers and letters are - it's just a small list. 

For valuables...for a short time, I kept a pile of cash in my apartment, and one of my friends suggested that I double-bag it in ziploc baggies, and bury it at the bottom of the litter box.  We called it the Bank of [cat's name].    I also keep valuables buried in my fabric 'wall'.   You'd have to pull every piece out to find the money, and yes, there is a LOT of fabric - hence the name Fabric Wall.

I don't think that list is very safe at all, if it was an odd string of letters and numbers I would guess it a password/code very quickly; but to each his own.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #6827 on: February 12, 2013, 11:20:06 AM »

I don't think that list is very safe at all, if it was an odd string of letters and numbers I would guess it a password/code very quickly; but to each his own.

Of course, but a password to WHAT?   WHERE?  It doesn't say what account, what computer system, or even what username it is!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6828 on: February 12, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »
I have a hard time remembering my PIN number for all my various cards.  And some of them can't be changed.  I ended up inputing them into my cell to make them look like local phone numbers and used a name that would remind me what those numbers are.  So if I used Acme Bank, the name in my phone would be Amy B, as a made up example.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6829 on: February 12, 2013, 11:59:49 AM »
The list may be safe enough if you lose the wallet and a stranger picks it up or if it is stolen. However, if someone closer to you (coworker, child, friend, etc) snoops around and finds the list, they may have a good idea of the sites you frequent and your user names, specially email. Since it isn't a long list, they may be snoopy enough to try them all out to get access to your email and Facebook accounts.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #6830 on: February 12, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »
Not to mention the software that will just run through them all to every webpage you've visited and the usernames that have been inputted repeatedly.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #6831 on: February 12, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »

I keep my various PINs and account numbers in my cellphone, disguised as phone numbers.  *I* know that "Aunt Mary" at 444-427-1234 isn't a real phone number, since I don't have an Aunt Mary, but a stranger who steals my phone/wallet won't know that.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mental Magpie

« Reply #6832 on: February 12, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »

I keep my various PINs and account numbers in my cellphone, disguised as phone numbers.  *I* know that "Aunt Mary" at 444-427-1234 isn't a real phone number, since I don't have an Aunt Mary, but a stranger who steals my phone/wallet won't know that.

Right, but that's not written on a piece of paper in a wallet alongside other such strings.

If LadyJaneinMD feels safe with it, that's fine; I just wouldn't.

Virg

« Reply #6833 on: February 12, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"I have a hard time remembering my PIN number for all my various cards.  And some of them can't be changed.  I ended up inputing them into my cell to make them look like local phone numbers and used a name that would remind me what those numbers are.  So if I used Acme Bank, the name in my phone would be Amy B, as a made up example."

Just write it on the card.  The trick is to slide it such that the number on the card is not your actual PIN but it's easy to figure out, like adding two to each digit or something more complex like subtracting your birth month from the first two digits and your birth day from the last two.  Another advantage to this is that, if someone finds the card and tries the PIN, they'll be using the wrong PIN and the card will get captured.

Virg

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6834 on: February 12, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »

I was coming here to suggest that very thing.  I actually did that once. A cell phone is a marvelous place to store data like that.  :D

Mental Magpie

« Reply #6835 on: February 12, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
What is my eye shape?  One person told me deep set and another told me hooded.  I'm trying to figure out how to best apply eye shadow because every time I do it I look atrocious.

ladyknight1

• Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6836 on: February 12, 2013, 07:55:16 PM »
Deep set. Mine are also deep set. I find I am best off using one color from brow bone to lashes, then a slightly deeper tone in the crease. I also use an eyeshadow primer.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6837 on: February 12, 2013, 09:03:45 PM »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6838 on: February 12, 2013, 09:43:49 PM »

What is my eye shape?  One person told me deep set and another told me hooded.  I'm trying to figure out how to best apply eye shadow because every time I do it I look atrocious.

Almond and deep set.  Mine are similar.  Your technique actually isn't too bad, but the color is a problem.  It clashes with your skin tone and eye color. 

Try for warmer tones...peaches, pinks, mauve, plum.  Try using a plum eyeliner and not passing the halfway point of the center of your eye...doing so can make them look narrow.

Personally, I use a very light, nearly white color that I sweep from my inner nasal eye area just under my brow, a pink on the lid and either deepen the pink for the crease, use a mossy green or a purple.  Typically, I skip the eyeliner because it makes my eyes look smaller.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

« Reply #6839 on: February 12, 2013, 10:04:11 PM »
What is my eye shape?

Gorgeous.  :D

Awe, thanks *blushes*

Dazi...I was using purple, but I don't actually have the right brushes so it didn't apply as well as it should have.  What looked like a lavender on the palette came out almost gray; I couldn't get it it to apply thickly (for lack of a better word...kind of like when you need 2 coats on nail polish so it doesn't look transparent).  Also, the picture was taken with my MacBook built in camera, so it lightened things a bit.

That was my first go at something I saw on YouTube.  I used the only colors I currently have because I have always been too cheap to buy make=up and have had that one for years.  Thanks for the tips!