Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1065366 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6840 on: February 12, 2013, 10:43:49 PM »

What is my eye shape?  One person told me deep set and another told me hooded.  I'm trying to figure out how to best apply eye shadow because every time I do it I look atrocious.

Almond and deep set.  Mine are similar.  Your technique actually isn't too bad, but the color is a problem.  It clashes with your skin tone and eye color. 

Try for warmer tones...peaches, pinks, mauve, plum.  Try using a plum eyeliner and not passing the halfway point of the center of your eye...doing so can make them look narrow.

Personally, I use a very light, nearly white color that I sweep from my inner nasal eye area just under my brow, a pink on the lid and either deepen the pink for the crease, use a mossy green or a purple.  Typically, I skip the eyeliner because it makes my eyes look smaller.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6841 on: February 12, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »
What is my eye shape?

Gorgeous.  :D

Awe, thanks *blushes*

Dazi...I was using purple, but I don't actually have the right brushes so it didn't apply as well as it should have.  What looked like a lavender on the palette came out almost gray; I couldn't get it it to apply thickly (for lack of a better word...kind of like when you need 2 coats on nail polish so it doesn't look transparent).  Also, the picture was taken with my MacBook built in camera, so it lightened things a bit.

That was my first go at something I saw on YouTube.  I used the only colors I currently have because I have always been too cheap to buy make=up and have had that one for years.  Thanks for the tips!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6842 on: February 12, 2013, 11:38:29 PM »
If you have one nearby, you might try going to Sephora. I've learned all my best eyeshadow application tips there. They have people on staff who can help pick out colors and show you what to do with them, and you don't have to buy anything if you don't want to.

The other thing is that eyeshadow is one type of makeup I am always willing to spend at least sort of significant money on. Drugstore brands almost never have anywhere near enough pigment to be useful, so I stopped using those a long time ago. I also personally tend to buy eyeshadow that comes with more than one shade in a package. I'm not always very good at color matching, and you can be more assured that the colors in question will at least look good together if they come packaged together.

One thing I have discovered about eyeliner is that using dark-colored shadow and an angled brush, and just sort of pressing it into your lash line can often help define your eyes and lashes without really looking like you have eyeliner on. I have very fair skin and not very dark lashes, so mascara alone sometimes looks a bit unfinished on me.

The brushes you use also make a difference. I use a very dense brush to apply the eyeshadow that covers my whole lid, and use a fluffy and much less dense brush (that is shaped to fit into my eyelid crease) to apply shadow to the crease and to my brow bone. I also use it to apply a tiny bit of my highlighting shadow to the very inner corners of my eyes. It's easy to go overboard, but if you keep it subtle it can make you look more awake (and in my case, draw attention away from the dark circles that I can never completely cover).

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6843 on: February 13, 2013, 12:33:33 AM »
I have fairly deep-set eyes. It's unfortunate when you have fair skin; I look like a corpse sometimes, since I also have dark circles. :P I agree with Dindrane; eyeliner can be hard to pull off. I put the tiniest, tiniest bit on the outer corner of my eye if I'm going to be in low lighting. It's the one time where it make my eyes look larger instead of beady. I use purple, which complements my eye color. And then instead of using eyeliner outside the lash line, I use a color that matches my lashes and (gently!) pencil it in amongst the roots of the lashes themselves. This is also handy when I don't want to wear mascara, for whatever reason. You can't even see it unless I put it on one eye and not the other.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6844 on: February 13, 2013, 06:28:11 AM »
What is my eye shape?

Awe, thanks *blushes*

Dazi...I was using purple, but I don't actually have the right brushes so it didn't apply as well as it should have.  What looked like a lavender on the palette came out almost gray; I couldn't get it it to apply thickly (for lack of a better word...kind of like when you need 2 coats on nail polish so it doesn't look transparent).  Also, the picture was taken with my MacBook built in camera, so it lightened things a bit.

That was my first go at something I saw on YouTube.  I used the only colors I currently have because I have always been too cheap to buy make=up and have had that one for years.  Thanks for the tips!

You do have lovely eyes.

hmmm...as to the purple looking grey...I think this might be either the shade of purple or the makeup itself not having enough pigment. 

Here's some over the counter products that are fine to use and won't break the bank.

http://www.almay.com/products/eyes/eyeshadow/almay-intense-i-color-smoky-i-kit.aspx

http://www.drugstore.com/physicians-formula-eye-enhancing-shimmer-strips-shadow-and-liner-candy-collection-brown-eye-candy-7370/qxp340301?catid=183538
this is a bit darker, but would probably work

http://www.drugstore.com/physicians-formula-shimmer-strips-custom-eye-enhancing-eye-shadow-natural-nude-eyes/qxp466938?catid=183538
I use this a lot...there is a slightly darker version of the same

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=198549&catid=183538&cmbProdBrandFilter=57231

I also agree with Dindrane and MrsJWine on using eyeshadow as liner.  It's a nice look and doesn't make your eyes look beady, but makes them pop nicely.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6845 on: February 13, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »
I agree with Dazi that Physicians Formula and Almay are definitely among the nicer drugstore brands. I bought an eyeshadow palette similar to the last one a few years back, and it definitely had more pigment than a lot of other brands.

One thing I'm personally super sick of, though, is the way a lot of brands categorize eyeshadow colors based on eye color. It's not a bad idea necessarily, but just because I have blue eyes does not mean I should be wearing blue eyeshadow. Blue eyeshadow is an extremely difficult color for me to pull off, and it doesn't make my eyes pop so much as it makes me look ill. I wouldn't mind this trend so much if any of the other eye color palettes had better colors, but they all have colors that really don't work well for me. I need super earthy colors, to counteract the pink in my skin and offset the blue of my eyes. So you might want to take those kinds of eyeshadow palettes with a grain of salt.

I might have to check out that nude palette you linked to, Dazi, since I can't recall having seen it before.

Xandraea

« Reply #6846 on: February 13, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »
What is my eye shape?

Awe, thanks *blushes*

I agree, gorgeous!

I love Bare Escentuals.  http://www.bareescentuals.com

They also have their own boutiques where employees will gladly give you a "make-under" and help you determine which colors work for you, and the products are sold through Sephora, Ulta, and other stores as well.  The colors blend super-easily and you can get as subtle or bold a look as you want with them.  The pots of loose mineral shadow are around $11 and last FOREVER. They also have palettes in mirrored compacts now that are amazing. 

You may like the ease of the READY sets..
http://www.bareescentuals.com/READY-Eyeshadow-2.0/US56374,default,pd.html

Or, there are "Last Chance" items like these tiny pots of loose shadow.  "Present", "Overjoyed" and "The Gift" are pretty pinky-browns
http://www.bareescentuals.com/bareMinerals-Mini-Eyecolor/USMasterminieyecolor,default,pd.html

Don't forget your lips! These are made with peppermint oil.  (yum!) 
http://www.bareescentuals.com/Hot-to-Trot/US60515,default,pd.html

I swear I'm unpaid advertising for Bare Escentuals, I love so much of their stuff. 

I recently went on a road trip, returning by plane with only carry-on bags.  I took a READY foundation compact and retractable brush, a READY shadows compact with a tiny primer, a couple shades of Moxie (seriously love the stuff) and the travel-sized cleanser and moisturizer.  The shadows and foundation look brand new after being used daily for 3 weeks.  My bf says Moxie "Smooth Talker" smells like SweeTarts, and every time I put it on he'd kiss me then rub his own lips together.  :D

clio917

« Reply #6847 on: February 13, 2013, 12:35:38 PM »
I agree with Dazi that Physicians Formula and Almay are definitely among the nicer drugstore brands. I bought an eyeshadow palette similar to the last one a few years back, and it definitely had more pigment than a lot of other brands.

One thing I'm personally super sick of, though, is the way a lot of brands categorize eyeshadow colors based on eye color. It's not a bad idea necessarily, but just because I have blue eyes does not mean I should be wearing blue eyeshadow. Blue eyeshadow is an extremely difficult color for me to pull off, and it doesn't make my eyes pop so much as it makes me look ill. I wouldn't mind this trend so much if any of the other eye color palettes had better colors, but they all have colors that really don't work well for me. I need super earthy colors, to counteract the pink in my skin and offset the blue of my eyes. So you might want to take those kinds of eyeshadow palettes with a grain of salt.

I might have to check out that nude palette you linked to, Dazi, since I can't recall having seen it before.

I heartily agree with the bolded. Blue eyeshadow makes me look like a reject from the 80s. I have only gotten lucky with one of those "eye color enhancing" palettes - it had taupe, dark brown, and copper. Those are the colors I can actually wear. (And of course they discontinued that specific combo...  ::))

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6848 on: February 13, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »

I heartily agree with the bolded. Blue eyeshadow makes me look like a reject from the 80s. I have only gotten lucky with one of those "eye color enhancing" palettes - it had taupe, dark brown, and copper. Those are the colors I can actually wear. (And of course they discontinued that specific combo...  ::))

I have brownish-greenish eyes, and I prefer to bring out the green. When I use the green palette (pinks and plums), it makes my eyes look nicely green. I wouldn't have thought of those colors without the palette. So it can work sometimes. :)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6849 on: February 13, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »
So my question: I've read on these boards and other places that to get gym clothes smelling fresh was them with vinegar.

How do I do that?  Do I still use detergent?  Do I put the vinegar in the detergent compartment or the fabric softener compartment or the bleach compartment?  I usually wash my gym clothes in cold water - is this appropriate for vinegar washing?

Just for clarification, I assume i use just plain clear "white distilled vinegar".  And I'll be be using a communal washing machine in my apartment building's laundry room.  Its got a little drawer that slides out with one big compartment for detergent (I usually use Arm & Hammer powdered laundry detergent) and two smaller compartments for bleach and softener (neither of which I use on my gym clothes).

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6850 on: February 13, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »
I would use it as you would a fabric softener (either add it during the rinse cycle or in the cup meant for FS.)

LibraryLady

« Reply #6851 on: February 13, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »
DOes the HIPAA law applies to minors?  REason I am asking is that Mom, Dad and Daughter (Daughter is under the age of 17) were out eating.
Daughter falls to ground with severe ache in abdomen; she is rushed to ER.  Dr. diagnosed an  ectopic pregnancy, even though daughter (and parents)
swore she was not sexually active.  Pregnancy confirmed by sonogram & PG test.

Dr. told daughter she was PG, daughter asked him to to tell parents.  Daughter must have surgery as infection is setting in.  Is Dr. constrained by HIPAA not to tell
parents, even though she is a minor?

This was on Life in the ER on TLC to other night and I think I have recounted it correctly.  Dr. never did tell them she was PG and it ended as she was wheeled into surgery.

Just wondering

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #6852 on: February 13, 2013, 02:44:39 PM »
DOes the HIPAA law applies to minors?  REason I am asking is that Mom, Dad and Daughter (Daughter is under the age of 17) were out eating.
Daughter falls to ground with severe ache in abdomen; she is rushed to ER.  Dr. diagnosed an  ectopic pregnancy, even though daughter (and parents)

Dr. told daughter she was PG, daughter asked him to to tell parents.  Daughter must have surgery as infection is setting in.  Is Dr. constrained by HIPAA not to tell

This was on Life in the ER on TLC to other night and I think I have recounted it correctly.  Dr. never did tell them she was PG and it ended as she was wheeled into surgery.

Just wondering

I saw that episode, too. I'm pretty sure the doctor said he couldn't legally tell the parents without the daughter's permission.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6853 on: February 13, 2013, 02:50:03 PM »
Per the website, there are very few instances where the gaurdian's wouldn't have access to the information.
http://www.hhs.gov/hipaafaq/personal/227.html

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6854 on: February 13, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »

Just wondering

I saw that episode, too. I'm pretty sure the doctor said he couldn't legally tell the parents without the daughter's permission.

I think (and reading Hmmmmmmm's link) it might come down to two things. (I saw that episode too)
1. Age of consent and abortion notification laws for that state. 
2. The fact that the dad was very aggressive in his mannerisms and outright enraged by the idea of even having a gynecologist examine his daughter.

If the girl is old enough to consent to sex, and is not required by law to inform her parents before terminating a pregnancy (not sure how ectopic's play into that, but still pregnancy is pregnancy in the eyes of the law), then that certainly muddies the waters on whether to tell the parents.  But add in an irrationally angry dad, and the Dr has a legitimate case of thinking the girl could suffer if he was told, in which case the Dr is not obligated to tell.