Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 974211 times)

CuriousParty

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6855 on: February 13, 2013, 03:14:43 PM »
HIPPA applies regardless of age of the patient. However, the age of consent for medical procedures varies by state, and it is entirely possible for a child to be a "minor" in some areas (e.g., not eligible to vote) but to be of age to consent to medical treatment. In my state for example, 16 is the age of medical consent, and at that point the 16 year old may control access to their record.

I think the weirder point is that the daughter asked the doctor to tell the parents (or was that a typo? Did you mean to say she asked him "not" to tell the parents?)  Because if she asked him to tell, well that's consent.  Done and done.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #6856 on: February 13, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »
Do you guys not have Gillick Competence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillick_competence

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6857 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:06 PM »
Do you guys not have Gillick Competence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillick_competence

In short, no.
The rules about age of consent and such vary from state to state in the US.  Different states have different ages and laws pertaining to when a minor can marry, get a learners permit to drive, can have sex, can get birth control and get an abortion (which might be general law about medical procedures/surgery but I have only heard about cases involving minors and informing parents in regard to abortion) without parental notification/permission. 
Everywhere in the US, someone over 18 is considered an adult for these things, but in many states some if not all of them are afforded to younger people ranging from 14 to 17 years.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6858 on: February 13, 2013, 06:54:13 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice everybody (and the compliments ;)).  For best friend's wedding we got make-overs from Sephora.  In order to have such done for "free" we had to buy $50 gift cards.  I plan on spending it soon!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6859 on: February 13, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »

Yes, standing up is more respectful.

There is a whole book of etiquette regarding that that's not much in use any more. For example, if you and your DH were eating in a restaurant, and a female friend dropped by to chat, your DH would have to stand the entire time, out of respect.
That rule has a practical side.

Dad did this and while Sis and I were say elementary - JH age we had to stand also because the people were our elders. You know what people said a quick Hello  - oh don't get up enjoy your meal we are going to our table - instead of hanging out and talking while looming over us and our meals.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #6860 on: February 13, 2013, 08:06:14 PM »
What is my eye shape?

Gorgeous.  :D

I was gonna say pretty. You have very pretty eyes. ^^

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #6861 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
I agree with Dazi that Physicians Formula and Almay are definitely among the nicer drugstore brands. I bought an eyeshadow palette similar to the last one a few years back, and it definitely had more pigment than a lot of other brands.

One thing I'm personally super sick of, though, is the way a lot of brands categorize eyeshadow colors based on eye color. It's not a bad idea necessarily, but just because I have blue eyes does not mean I should be wearing blue eyeshadow. Blue eyeshadow is an extremely difficult color for me to pull off, and it doesn't make my eyes pop so much as it makes me look ill. I wouldn't mind this trend so much if any of the other eye color palettes had better colors, but they all have colors that really don't work well for me. I need super earthy colors, to counteract the pink in my skin and offset the blue of my eyes. So you might want to take those kinds of eyeshadow palettes with a grain of salt.

I might have to check out that nude palette you linked to, Dazi, since I can't recall having seen it before.

I heartily agree with the bolded. Blue eyeshadow makes me look like a reject from the 80s. I have only gotten lucky with one of those "eye color enhancing" palettes - it had taupe, dark brown, and copper. Those are the colors I can actually wear. (And of course they discontinued that specific combo...  ::))

I have blue/gray/wha!? eyes. (as in they like to randomly change color, depending on my clothes, the weather, the alighnment of jupiter... etc. We have a pair of photos of me, in the same clothes, the same chair, the same lighting, same day, but an hour apart. In one my eyes are almost black-gray and in the other they're bright blue.) The wha!? color is actually violet. And they only do that when I have absolutely no one to "wow" too...  :(

Anyway, a friend bought me the "eye palette" for green eyes. Because of all the colors my eyes turn, sure, buy me a palette for the color they DON'T turn. Strange girl, but lovable.

It looked amazing. It really did. Not sure why though. I have yet to find the same palette since the shadow ran out. Maybe they were the same brand?

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #6862 on: February 13, 2013, 10:41:23 PM »
I get that if you are allergic to food, you can't eat it. But what if you are intolerant to it and like the taste?

I keep reading about gluten intolerance and not being able to eat it... but if you really just miss the taste of something that has gluten, couldn't you just chew it till flavor yumminess has been achieved then spit it out? Not at a restaurant or something... but it seems like a viable solution.

Don't ask. I saw it as a weird diet tip once and wondered if it would work for a different purpose.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6863 on: February 13, 2013, 11:03:33 PM »
I get that if you are allergic to food, you can't eat it. But what if you are intolerant to it and like the taste?

I keep reading about gluten intolerance and not being able to eat it... but if you really just miss the taste of something that has gluten, couldn't you just chew it till flavor yumminess has been achieved then spit it out? Not at a restaurant or something... but it seems like a viable solution.

Don't ask. I saw it as a weird diet tip once and wondered if it would work for a different purpose.

Simply put, no.

Gluten intolerance, IME, is akin to a gluten allergy in that while it doesn't necessarily produce the exact same body reaction, both reactions can be just as violent and harm inducing.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6864 on: February 13, 2013, 11:09:22 PM »
Not with gluten, nut, or shellfish allergies. Those are ususlly pretty strong and violent, so even the little that escapes would be too much. I've heard of cases where even kissing someone who has just eaten the food can cause a reaction.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #6865 on: February 13, 2013, 11:38:47 PM »
Told you it was a stupid question :P   I thought it meant that it only did horrible things once it hit the stomach.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6866 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:18 PM »
Not with gluten, nut, or shellfish allergies. Those are ususlly pretty strong and violent, so even the little that escapes would be too much. I've heard of cases where even kissing someone who has just eaten the food can cause a reaction.
I heard somewhere (here, maybe?) about a severe gluten reaction caused by a breadcrumb that fell on some food and was then brushed off.  If that infinitisimal contact causes a reaction, I wouldn't risk chewing and spitting.  You still swallow some of it, after all.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6867 on: February 14, 2013, 01:04:05 AM »
Told you it was a stupid question :P   I thought it meant that it only did horrible things once it hit the stomach.

It is a perfectly reasonable question!

And it mostly does do horrible things once it hits the stomach. Problem is, for someone who is very, very sensitive to gluten, even the tiniest particle will cause a reaction and damage the intestines. Some people use gluten-free makeup and lotion for this reason.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Coruscation

« Reply #6868 on: February 14, 2013, 01:35:16 AM »
My cousin is lactose intolerant but not strongly so and can drink about 2 cups of milk before getting stomach cramps. So, she has milk on her cereal every morning but will skip it if she knows there is something else she will want later in the day. She used to sometimes say yes to ice cream if someone offered it and she was at her limit, but the cramps are quite severe.

Amava

« Reply #6869 on: February 14, 2013, 01:42:23 AM »
My cousin is lactose intolerant but not strongly so and can drink about 2 cups of milk before getting stomach cramps. So, she has milk on her cereal every morning but will skip it if she knows there is something else she will want later in the day. She used to sometimes say yes to ice cream if someone offered it and she was at her limit, but the cramps are quite severe.

Wheee, I'd skip the cereal every day, just in case a wild icecream appears.
;)
(Maybe that's easy for me to say because I don't eat cereal.)
Though, if she really likes cereal, why not try soy milk or so? It's good!

Up to her, of course. But I think if I could only have limited amounts of an ingredient that commonly shows up in random treats, I'd try to take it out of my own regular food pattern just to be able to have those treats when they occur.