Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1081090 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6870 on: February 14, 2013, 02:15:09 AM »
It's odd; I have green eyes that look blue if you're more than a few feet away. I don't know why. Green eye shadow and liner make the green in my eyes even less apparent; only purple makes them look green.

So my question: I've read on these boards and other places that to get gym clothes smelling fresh was them with vinegar.

How do I do that?  Do I still use detergent?  Do I put the vinegar in the detergent compartment or the fabric softener compartment or the bleach compartment?  I usually wash my gym clothes in cold water - is this appropriate for vinegar washing?

Just for clarification, I assume i use just plain clear "white distilled vinegar".  And I'll be be using a communal washing machine in my apartment building's laundry room.  Its got a little drawer that slides out with one big compartment for detergent (I usually use Arm & Hammer powdered laundry detergent) and two smaller compartments for bleach and softener (neither of which I use on my gym clothes).

Are they wicking? If so, would use a couple drops of tea tree oil instead. It's very potent; I've had the same bottle for three years and am only just running out, so it's less expensive than it seems by the price tag. I use white vinegar for everything except wicking fabric. Tea tree oil is almost like magic for destroying odors, especially those from sweat or mildew.

Otherwise, yes, use vinegar just like you would fabric softener.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:16:43 AM by MrsJWine »

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6871 on: February 14, 2013, 09:57:05 AM »
Lil Sis has work shirts that get dry  cleaned so that the colors don't fade - but the odors still build up over time.  She's tried white vinegar & water to remove the odors - but the colors fade, even if she dry cleans several times then washes ONCE before dry cleaning several times again.

Is there anything that removes odor but not dye?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6872 on: February 14, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »
It's odd; I have green eyes that look blue if you're more than a few feet away. I don't know why. Green eye shadow and liner make the green in my eyes even less apparent; only purple makes them look green.

So my question: I've read on these boards and other places that to get gym clothes smelling fresh was them with vinegar.

How do I do that?  Do I still use detergent?  Do I put the vinegar in the detergent compartment or the fabric softener compartment or the bleach compartment?  I usually wash my gym clothes in cold water - is this appropriate for vinegar washing?

Just for clarification, I assume i use just plain clear "white distilled vinegar".  And I'll be be using a communal washing machine in my apartment building's laundry room.  Its got a little drawer that slides out with one big compartment for detergent (I usually use Arm & Hammer powdered laundry detergent) and two smaller compartments for bleach and softener (neither of which I use on my gym clothes).

Are they wicking? If so, would use a couple drops of tea tree oil instead. It's very potent; I've had the same bottle for three years and am only just running out, so it's less expensive than it seems by the price tag. I use white vinegar for everything except wicking fabric. Tea tree oil is almost like magic for destroying odors, especially those from sweat or mildew.

Thanks!
Most of my gym clothes are wicking but I don't have any tea tree oil on hand and I do have vinegar, so I'm going to try that first.
But if I did have tea tree oil how would I add that?  The same way a few drops to the fabric softener compartment? I don't use liquid detergent because its too heavy (and to expensive - why pay for water?) so I can't mix it into the detergent...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6873 on: February 14, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »
In our wicking clothes or microfiber, we use liquid detergent and oxi-clean powder. It makes a huge difference on how clothes smell.

Blondie

« Reply #6874 on: February 14, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »
Just as another FYI on the wicking fabric- don't use fabric softener on it! (I had no idea until I worked for a company that sells it) The fabric softener actually not only breaks down the fabric much faster, but cuts down on the wicking abilities. Most companies that sell the product should say it on the garment, but I have found several that don't.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." Douglas Adams

Betelnut

« Reply #6875 on: February 14, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »
Would it be ridiculous for me to buy a domain name for my daughter?  If I could get one cheap that is?  If you do buy one, do you actually have to have a website?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6876 on: February 14, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »
Would it be ridiculous for me to buy a domain name for my daughter?  If I could get one cheap that is?  If you do buy one, do you actually have to have a website?

Do not have to have a web site (they create a 'parking' site at almost all hosting sites when you buy the domain), and if you can get her a FirstnameLastname domain now, I'd do it - it's a quite nice gift later in their life when they want to have Firstname@FirstnameLastname.com as their e-mail address.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6877 on: February 14, 2013, 03:22:50 PM »

Thanks!
Most of my gym clothes are wicking but I don't have any tea tree oil on hand and I do have vinegar, so I'm going to try that first.
But if I did have tea tree oil how would I add that?  The same way a few drops to the fabric softener compartment? I don't use liquid detergent because its too heavy (and to expensive - why pay for water?) so I can't mix it into the detergent...

I add the tea tree oil directly to the wash water. As for vinegar, for some reason I had it in my head that it could damage wicking fabrics, but now I can't find anything about that at all. I have found that tea tree oil is effective when vinegar isn't.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6878 on: February 14, 2013, 03:48:20 PM »

As the owner of Traska.net, I say go for it.  :D  And I pay about $20 a year, all fees included (even a privacy fee, which is nice.)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6879 on: February 14, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »
RebeccainGA wrote:

"Do not have to have a web site (they create a 'parking' site at almost all hosting sites when you buy the domain), and if you can get her a FirstnameLastname domain now, I'd do it - it's a quite nice gift later in their life when they want to have Firstname@FirstnameLastname.com as their e-mail address."

You aren't required by any governing body to have any content under the domain, but there has been more than one instance of a company finding a reserved domain and taking it away from the owner in court using cybersquatting rules as a strongarm tactic.  Google up what happened to Katie Jones when a book whose title was her domain name was published (the short story is that the publisher tried to bully katie.com away from her with lawsuits).  If you're going to register such a domain I'd suggest that you consult with a lawyer about it, silly as it sounds, or at least develop and set up some reasonable content on the site to help establish useful ownership.

Virg

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #6880 on: February 14, 2013, 03:58:46 PM »
I hope I'm safe... traska-at-traska-dot-net has been my email address for years now.  :)

Betelnut

« Reply #6881 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »
Is a .com or a .net or a .whatever better? 
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #6882 on: February 14, 2013, 04:08:26 PM »
"Better" is subjective.  .com is seen as more "official" or professional (in fact, traska-dot-com was taken), but other than public perception there's no real difference.  It's not like .com gives you extra services or anything.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #6883 on: February 14, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »
Is a .com or a .net or a .whatever better?

Wikipedia has articles about the common domains (.com, .net, .org, etc.) that state what the domain was originally intended for (commercial, network, organization, etc.) and how they're used today. You might want to look up the ones you're considering. Also, you might want to consider using a country code domain. My email address uses a .us domain run by a family member.

ETA: A PP mentioned the possibility of people being strong-armed into giving up their domain names to companies who want it. Companies in the US rarely use .us domains, so that might make competition for the domain name less likely. On the other hand, I think a lot of people default to .com when typing a web address, so if you have domainname.us and someone else buys domainname.com, people looking for your site might end up at the .com version by mistake, much more than the other way around.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:35:26 PM by Onyx_TKD »

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6884 on: February 14, 2013, 06:24:03 PM »
Lil Sis has work shirts that get dry  cleaned so that the colors don't fade - but the odors still build up over time.  She's tried white vinegar & water to remove the odors - but the colors fade, even if she dry cleans several times then washes ONCE before dry cleaning several times again.

Is there anything that removes odor but not dye?

Baking soda and water, make a kind of paste out of it, apply, rub in and soak, rinse lightly*, wash as normal. 

*When I say rinse lightly, I mean just get the paste off, no need to make sure all of it is gone but you don't want a big gunk on there.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.