Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 837496 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6885 on: February 14, 2013, 03:58:46 PM »
I hope I'm safe... traska-at-traska-dot-net has been my email address for years now.  :)

Betelnut

« Reply #6886 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »
Is a .com or a .net or a .whatever better? 
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6887 on: February 14, 2013, 04:08:26 PM »
"Better" is subjective.  .com is seen as more "official" or professional (in fact, traska-dot-com was taken), but other than public perception there's no real difference.  It's not like .com gives you extra services or anything.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #6888 on: February 14, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »
Is a .com or a .net or a .whatever better?

Wikipedia has articles about the common domains (.com, .net, .org, etc.) that state what the domain was originally intended for (commercial, network, organization, etc.) and how they're used today. You might want to look up the ones you're considering. Also, you might want to consider using a country code domain. My email address uses a .us domain run by a family member.

ETA: A PP mentioned the possibility of people being strong-armed into giving up their domain names to companies who want it. Companies in the US rarely use .us domains, so that might make competition for the domain name less likely. On the other hand, I think a lot of people default to .com when typing a web address, so if you have domainname.us and someone else buys domainname.com, people looking for your site might end up at the .com version by mistake, much more than the other way around.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:35:26 PM by Onyx_TKD »

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6889 on: February 14, 2013, 06:24:03 PM »
Lil Sis has work shirts that get dry  cleaned so that the colors don't fade - but the odors still build up over time.  She's tried white vinegar & water to remove the odors - but the colors fade, even if she dry cleans several times then washes ONCE before dry cleaning several times again.

Is there anything that removes odor but not dye?

Baking soda and water, make a kind of paste out of it, apply, rub in and soak, rinse lightly*, wash as normal. 

*When I say rinse lightly, I mean just get the paste off, no need to make sure all of it is gone but you don't want a big gunk on there.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #6890 on: February 14, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »
Do you guys not have Gillick Competence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillick_competence

In short, no.
The rules about age of consent and such vary from state to state in the US.  Different states have different ages and laws pertaining to when a minor can marry, get a learners permit to drive, can have sex, can get birth control and get an abortion (which might be general law about medical procedures/surgery but I have only heard about cases involving minors and informing parents in regard to abortion) without parental notification/permission. 
Everywhere in the US, someone over 18 is considered an adult for these things, but in many states some if not all of them are afforded to younger people ranging from 14 to 17 years.

Not every state.  Now, I'm only speaking from the perspective of financial laws, but Nebraska considers 18 and below to be minors (instead of under 18), and as such, 18 year olds in Nebraska cannot  take out a loan, or have a credit card. I'm not sure how the rest of the contract law works, but at least with credit contracts, you're not considered a legal adult until your 19th birthday.  (Unless they've changed that since I moved from dealing with loans/lines to deposit operations.)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #6891 on: February 14, 2013, 07:13:08 PM »
I think that the baby shampoo, detergent, soap, or re-formulated Woolite fades the dyes - not the white vinegar.

Woolite was originally much closer to baby shampoo for protein fibers (wool & silk) but with so many people using it for all "fine washables", including artificial fibers, the original formula changed over time.

Because they couldn't come up with a second bottle labelled "Woolite 2 - for artificial fibers" instead, I suppose.

They had a silk rug that a cat horked up a hair ball on.  Her husband blanched when told how much it would cost to dry clean it and told her to just use cold water on it.  She told him that would fade the dyes and ruin the value of the rug.  He told her that she must be mistaken.

They now have a faded silk rug that reminds him not to question her....and the cat can now safely hork up hairballs on.  Except, being a cat, he uses a different floor covering for new hairballs.....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:15:44 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #6892 on: February 14, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »
Can someone tell me...

What is the purpose of the pairs of tiny snaps sewn into dresses (and presumably blouses or other garments), like, on the inside of the shoulders?

I noticed them in probably three of the eight dreses I tried on in TJ Maxx, all different brands/designers... 
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #6893 on: February 14, 2013, 08:33:41 PM »
Ooh! Did I just figure it out?  Are they to snap around your bra straps to keep them from showing?  Oh, I hope so, that seems so crafty!  Haha
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Carotte

« Reply #6894 on: February 14, 2013, 09:04:47 PM »
Ooh! Did I just figure it out?  Are they to snap around your bra straps to keep them from showing?  Oh, I hope so, that seems so crafty!  Haha

That's what I was going to say. You can buy them to sew them yourself to your garments, I never came across something where they where already there..
What bothers me is all my tshirts that have a piece of thin ribon going from shoulder to shoulder, I think they're made for hanging, you loop the ribon around the head of the hanger so that the shirt doesn't sag, but quite frankly I never do it, it's not going to make much difference with my 10$ shirt from H&M

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6895 on: February 14, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »

That's what I was going to say. You can buy them to sew them yourself to your garments, I never came across something where they where already there..
What bothers me is all my tshirts that have a piece of thin ribon going from shoulder to shoulder, I think they're made for hanging, you loop the ribon around the head of the hanger so that the shirt doesn't sag, but quite frankly I never do it, it's not going to make much difference with my 10$ shirt from H&M

That particular design is better than the loops at each shoulder. Those are forever peeking out, and i find them generally uncomfortable.

I've also found that the loops or ribbon are not so much meant to keep the shirt from sagging as they are to keep the shirt on the hanger, period. Shirts with wide necklines can fall off clothes hangers really easily.

Iris

« Reply #6896 on: February 15, 2013, 05:08:55 AM »

That particular design is better than the loops at each shoulder. Those are forever peeking out, and i find them generally uncomfortable.

I've also found that the loops or ribbon are not so much meant to keep the shirt from sagging as they are to keep the shirt on the hanger, period. Shirts with wide necklines can fall off clothes hangers really easily.

I cut those loops off as soon as I buy the shirt.

I've had those snaps on a shirt once before but it was for a shirt that was designed to be worn with a camisole underneath. The snaps kept the camisole strap in place. Great idea if they're using it for bras though.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #6897 on: February 15, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »
A loop of ribbon sewn into the shoulder that is long enough to go from where it is sewn over the hanger's middle part is to keep the outfit on the hanger (it will help distribute & support the weight of the garment to keep it from stretching out of shape or even tearing in storage). 

A bit of ribbon shorter than the width of the shoulder fabric with a snap at one end is to hold lingerie straps so that they don't peek out (younger women don't seem to realize that lingerie straps were meant to be hidden, in previous generations).  Maybe when they get older, they'll want to hide that they need a bra instead of showing it off.....after fifteen or thirty years of wearing the darned things, you get to where you HOPE nobody realizes how much support is coming from your bra and not your Cooper's ligaments.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #6898 on: February 15, 2013, 12:10:06 PM »

I have the shoulder-to-shoulder ribbon in a few tops, but they're all drape-necked. I like them not only because they help keep the clothes on the hanger, but they help keep the clothes from slipping down off the shoulder, too.

JoW

« Reply #6899 on: February 15, 2013, 05:16:24 PM »
A loop of ribbon sewn into the shoulder that is long enough to go from where it is sewn over the hanger's middle part is to keep the outfit on the hanger (it will help distribute & support the weight of the garment to keep it from stretching out of shape or even tearing in storage).  .....
The stores where I shop aren't classy enough to sell the shirts with those ribbons.  I keep my shirts on hangers with clip clothespins at the shoulders.  I also use clip clothespins to hold skirts on hangers.