Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 982391 times)

mmswm

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6885 on: February 14, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »
Do you guys not have Gillick Competence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillick_competence

In short, no.
The rules about age of consent and such vary from state to state in the US.  Different states have different ages and laws pertaining to when a minor can marry, get a learners permit to drive, can have sex, can get birth control and get an abortion (which might be general law about medical procedures/surgery but I have only heard about cases involving minors and informing parents in regard to abortion) without parental notification/permission. 
Everywhere in the US, someone over 18 is considered an adult for these things, but in many states some if not all of them are afforded to younger people ranging from 14 to 17 years.

Not every state.  Now, I'm only speaking from the perspective of financial laws, but Nebraska considers 18 and below to be minors (instead of under 18), and as such, 18 year olds in Nebraska cannot  take out a loan, or have a credit card. I'm not sure how the rest of the contract law works, but at least with credit contracts, you're not considered a legal adult until your 19th birthday.  (Unless they've changed that since I moved from dealing with loans/lines to deposit operations.)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6886 on: February 14, 2013, 07:13:08 PM »
I think that the baby shampoo, detergent, soap, or re-formulated Woolite fades the dyes - not the white vinegar.

Woolite was originally much closer to baby shampoo for protein fibers (wool & silk) but with so many people using it for all "fine washables", including artificial fibers, the original formula changed over time.

Because they couldn't come up with a second bottle labelled "Woolite 2 - for artificial fibers" instead, I suppose.

They had a silk rug that a cat horked up a hair ball on.  Her husband blanched when told how much it would cost to dry clean it and told her to just use cold water on it.  She told him that would fade the dyes and ruin the value of the rug.  He told her that she must be mistaken.

They now have a faded silk rug that reminds him not to question her....and the cat can now safely hork up hairballs on.  Except, being a cat, he uses a different floor covering for new hairballs.....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:15:44 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #6887 on: February 14, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »
Can someone tell me...

What is the purpose of the pairs of tiny snaps sewn into dresses (and presumably blouses or other garments), like, on the inside of the shoulders?

I noticed them in probably three of the eight dreses I tried on in TJ Maxx, all different brands/designers... 
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #6888 on: February 14, 2013, 08:33:41 PM »
Ooh! Did I just figure it out?  Are they to snap around your bra straps to keep them from showing?  Oh, I hope so, that seems so crafty!  Haha
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Carotte

« Reply #6889 on: February 14, 2013, 09:04:47 PM »
Ooh! Did I just figure it out?  Are they to snap around your bra straps to keep them from showing?  Oh, I hope so, that seems so crafty!  Haha

That's what I was going to say. You can buy them to sew them yourself to your garments, I never came across something where they where already there..
What bothers me is all my tshirts that have a piece of thin ribon going from shoulder to shoulder, I think they're made for hanging, you loop the ribon around the head of the hanger so that the shirt doesn't sag, but quite frankly I never do it, it's not going to make much difference with my 10$ shirt from H&M

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6890 on: February 14, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »

That's what I was going to say. You can buy them to sew them yourself to your garments, I never came across something where they where already there..
What bothers me is all my tshirts that have a piece of thin ribon going from shoulder to shoulder, I think they're made for hanging, you loop the ribon around the head of the hanger so that the shirt doesn't sag, but quite frankly I never do it, it's not going to make much difference with my 10$ shirt from H&M

That particular design is better than the loops at each shoulder. Those are forever peeking out, and i find them generally uncomfortable.

I've also found that the loops or ribbon are not so much meant to keep the shirt from sagging as they are to keep the shirt on the hanger, period. Shirts with wide necklines can fall off clothes hangers really easily.

Iris

« Reply #6891 on: February 15, 2013, 05:08:55 AM »

That particular design is better than the loops at each shoulder. Those are forever peeking out, and i find them generally uncomfortable.

I've also found that the loops or ribbon are not so much meant to keep the shirt from sagging as they are to keep the shirt on the hanger, period. Shirts with wide necklines can fall off clothes hangers really easily.

I cut those loops off as soon as I buy the shirt.

I've had those snaps on a shirt once before but it was for a shirt that was designed to be worn with a camisole underneath. The snaps kept the camisole strap in place. Great idea if they're using it for bras though.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6892 on: February 15, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »
A loop of ribbon sewn into the shoulder that is long enough to go from where it is sewn over the hanger's middle part is to keep the outfit on the hanger (it will help distribute & support the weight of the garment to keep it from stretching out of shape or even tearing in storage). 

A bit of ribbon shorter than the width of the shoulder fabric with a snap at one end is to hold lingerie straps so that they don't peek out (younger women don't seem to realize that lingerie straps were meant to be hidden, in previous generations).  Maybe when they get older, they'll want to hide that they need a bra instead of showing it off.....after fifteen or thirty years of wearing the darned things, you get to where you HOPE nobody realizes how much support is coming from your bra and not your Cooper's ligaments.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #6893 on: February 15, 2013, 12:10:06 PM »

I have the shoulder-to-shoulder ribbon in a few tops, but they're all drape-necked. I like them not only because they help keep the clothes on the hanger, but they help keep the clothes from slipping down off the shoulder, too.

JoW

« Reply #6894 on: February 15, 2013, 05:16:24 PM »
A loop of ribbon sewn into the shoulder that is long enough to go from where it is sewn over the hanger's middle part is to keep the outfit on the hanger (it will help distribute & support the weight of the garment to keep it from stretching out of shape or even tearing in storage).  .....
The stores where I shop aren't classy enough to sell the shirts with those ribbons.  I keep my shirts on hangers with clip clothespins at the shoulders.  I also use clip clothespins to hold skirts on hangers.   

Carotte

« Reply #6895 on: February 16, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
I have a few cooking/ingredients questions,

I made some cookies who called for baking soda and baking powder, I had none so used chemical yeast (sodium bicarbonate and tartaric acid). The cookies turned ok so can I just substitute that chemical yeast anytime it ask for baking soda & baking powder? Or would it be better to find some baking powder and add that too (since there's already baking soda/sodium bicarbonate)?

What is the difference between quick oats and well, non quick oats? I used a few packages of 'pour hot milk, wait two minutes' oats. The other oat we had was Quakers something oats, that looks kind of like the same thing actually..

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6896 on: February 16, 2013, 01:32:25 PM »
Steel-cut oats are less refined, so cook for a long time, at least 30 minutes. Rolled oats are next, they take 5-10 minutes to cook. Quick cooking oats are the most processed and only take a few minutes of cooking time.

I have never substituted any other leavening ingredients for what is called for in the recipe.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6897 on: February 16, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »
You have regular oats, quick oats, 1 minute oats and instant oatmeal.

The regular oats are raw, have the biggest flakes and are the least processed.  I like these best when I'm making oatmeal for breakfast.  Takes a while, though.  They take the longest to cook.  Quick oats are partially cooked and the flakes are smaller.  I like them best for baking.  I find it makes my oatmeal cookies and oatmeal containing muffins a bit lighter and slightly less chewy.  1 minute oats are basically the same as the instant oatmeal but you generally get them in a large bag rather than individual packages.  And they are partially cooked for longer than the quick oats and the flakes are generally smaller.  The instant oatmeals come in all sorts of flavours but they are generally pretty high in sugar.

I can't help you with your chemical yeast question since I've never heard of it!  But I can tell you the basic difference between baking powder and baking soda, in terms of cooking.  Baking powder begins to react as soon as it is hit with the liquid.  Which is why you should work quickly and not over work things like biscuits and scones.  Baking soda needs the heat of the oven to activate to begin the leavening process.  I would think in cookies, it wouldn't matter so much to leave out the baking powder but if you are trying to make a quick bread, it might not work so well.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

marcel

« Reply #6898 on: February 16, 2013, 03:28:45 PM »
You can use a mixture of baking soda soda and cream of tartare as a substitute for baking powder. (Bs:CT = 1:2)

I regularly do this because, in a country where baking soda and cream of tartare are uncommon and can not be bought in a regular grocery store, I am probably the only person who regularly doesn't have baking powder, but does have the other two. :)

@ Outdoor girl,
Baking soda is often activated with liquid acids. In those cases it will start working as soon as it is mixed with the liquid.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

GreenHall

« Reply #6899 on: February 16, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »
It his one could go in brain hurt for me too, but I'm curious about the item, as well...

I have almost completely talked myself into buying a new car (2013, from the dealership).  As long as I am that self indulgent, I am probably going to get the sport package so I can get the color I want.  ::)

The salesman was talking up the car, showing the fancy extras...I cant even remember what he called the option, something about paddles, and I asked what he was talking about.  Apparently, the sport model (automatic) has these paddles on the steering wheel that will give you extra acceleration, or let you manually shift the gear.   

Why would they create a way to manually shift gears in an automatic car?  I don't want the hassle of shifting gears, that's why I want an automatic.