Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 843097 times)

Carotte

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6960 on: February 26, 2013, 01:17:45 PM »
Can anyone find me a reason why a grown men, in the middle of the afternoon, would decide to go to the swimming pool, change into his suit, go sit on the edge of the pool for 15 before putting on his swimming cap, and then still stay sitted for at least another 30min? I think when I left he got out too since I didn't see him in the water (changing rooms open on a balcony that overlook the pool.)

He just, looked... didn't seem like he was talking himself into jumping in the water, that he was waiting for someone.. If he was waiting for people to leave the lane then he could have waited a long time, we were always at least 5 people in the lane.

Anyone think it's a bit creepy? I didn't want to give a bias (I mean, there must be a logical reason), but if I tell you that while he was there two groups of kids where there...
I didn't see him ogling them more than a normal person would, and between the pool's staff and the kids teachers others must have noticed him and not thought it was anything weird but still.
And the kids where making so much noise that I would never have stayed more than I needed myself..

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6961 on: February 26, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »
He just, looked... didn't seem like he was talking himself into jumping in the water, that he was waiting for someone.. If he was waiting for people to leave the lane then he could have waited a long time, we were always at least 5 people in the lane.

I'd wonder if it was a case of him not knowing to share lanes?
I never knew about that.  A few years ago I bought a membership to a local fitness facility in part because of its awesome pool.  But I'd never belonged to a pool or swimming facility before.  And I ended up only going twice because I was just so put off by the expectation of knowing all sorts of weird not explained not explained 'rules' of pool culture. I'm not a strong enough swimmer to feel confident sharing a lane, and it had never in a billion years occurred to me that was a norm - it wasn't explained when I signed up, there were no signs, etc.  In fact it took a bunch of circular questioning between me and a staff member before that even became clear to me, because I didn't even fathom to ask if that could be a possibility (and apparently the staff member never fathomed it wasn't obvious - they looked shocked when I finally said "oh!  people share the lanes?  At the same time in the same lane?  Why wasn't I told that?  Why are there no signs explaining that?").  I thought lanes would be more like treadmills - if there is someone waiting you must vacate after 30 minutes/if its being used you wait 30 minutes for your turn. When I was a kid and took swim lessons we never shared lanes - we swam along side of each other in our own lanes or we waited until the person in front of us reached the other end of the pool for us to start.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6962 on: February 26, 2013, 01:49:44 PM »
Can anyone find me a reason why a grown men, in the middle of the afternoon, would decide to go to the swimming pool, change into his suit, go sit on the edge of the pool for 15 before putting on his swimming cap, and then still stay sitted for at least another 30min? I think when I left he got out too since I didn't see him in the water (changing rooms open on a balcony that overlook the pool.)

Anyone think it's a bit creepy? I didn't want to give a bias (I mean, there must be a logical reason), but if I tell you that while he was there two groups of kids where there...
I didn't see him ogling them more than a normal person would, and between the pool's staff and the kids teachers others must have noticed him and not thought it was anything weird but still.
And the kids where making so much noise that I would never have stayed more than I needed myself..

I think it is in bad taste to hint that he is a pedophile on such flimsy grounds. As you said, he wasn't ogling the children, he wasn't showing signs of arousal, he wasn't acting inappropriately.

To me, it seems like someone who might have a phobia, trauma or other form of bad relationship with water or swimming and is slowing acclimatizing himself to a pool by increasing exposure. Yes, I can go into the pool room. I can prepare myself to swim. I can go near the water. And so on. Often, this sort of treatment is done by a professional's suggestion.

He might have been unsure of pool etiquette, as WillyNilly explained.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6963 on: February 26, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »
Could he have been doing exercises with his foot or ankle in the water? It doesn't make sense to have the cap on in that case, but I have seen a lot of that at hotel and club pools.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6964 on: February 26, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
I see a lot of people at my pool who do that. I usually offer to share a lane, and they'll say, "No, thanks; I can wait. I'm a little claustrophobic." Which I understand. I actually hate sharing a lane, but I have a very limited time to swim, so I take what I can get. If you have some time, or if you're willing to forgo the swimming that day, it makes sense.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Iris

« Reply #6965 on: February 27, 2013, 12:52:40 AM »
I can think of several explanations other than paedophile.

*He has a fear of water he is trying to overcome
*The aforementioned lane sharing issues
*He has been ordered by his doctor to exercise but just can't motivate himself
*He usually swims laps and it is important to him, but he was ill/tired/depressed and just couldn't motivate himself

I'm sure I looked equally strange last week when the day after a dear family friend died I got out of bed, put on my exercise clothes, set up my treadmill and dvd, started the treadmill and then just stood there with my feet on the edge. Eventually I stopped the treadmill and just stood on the treadmill for a while, staring into space. I was trying to live as normal but when it came to the crunch I was just too sad to do anything.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Ereine

« Reply #6966 on: February 27, 2013, 03:45:17 AM »
How small are the pools where people don't expect to share lanes? The largest pool at the place I go to has maybe ten lanes and I'm trying to imagine the riot that would ensue if people were told that they had to wait for their turn. There's another pool there that's used for swimming laps but it has even less lanes and the place has something like a thousand visitors a day (though not everyone swims laps, of course). Fortunately the large pool is 50 m long and the lanes are wide enough that passing isn't a problem. I go there every week and I haven't seen any problems.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6967 on: February 27, 2013, 08:38:28 AM »
<snip>
I'm sure I looked equally strange last week when the day after a dear family friend died I got out of bed, put on my exercise clothes, set up my treadmill and dvd, started the treadmill and then just stood there with my feet on the edge. Eventually I stopped the treadmill and just stood on the treadmill for a while, staring into space. I was trying to live as normal but when it came to the crunch I was just too sad to do anything.

I'm so sorry.  Big hugs to you.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6968 on: February 27, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
How small are the pools where people don't expect to share lanes? The largest pool at the place I go to has maybe ten lanes and I'm trying to imagine the riot that would ensue if people were told that they had to wait for their turn. There's another pool there that's used for swimming laps but it has even less lanes and the place has something like a thousand visitors a day (though not everyone swims laps, of course). Fortunately the large pool is 50 m long and the lanes are wide enough that passing isn't a problem. I go there every week and I haven't seen any problems.

Where does Carrotte live?

My town in 7000 residents and has a lovely commuity center with a pool about eight lanes wide. The treadmills overlook the pool, and I have never seen more than 4 people in the pool at one time except when there are classes, and only had to wait for a treadmill once. (I never went on a Saturday AM, but there is a signup sheet for that.)

We have a Walmart, and I have never waited in line behind more that 5 people, never had to wait for more than one at the quilt shop, and only twice have not been seated immediately at a restaurant. We have never had trouble finding a parking space, either in town or where businesses have their own parking (Walmart, Tractor Supply, etc.)

These stores are doing a comfortable business. We've only had a couple close because of financial failure - one only sold deep fried pies and ice cream, another was too high scale for a town this size and demographics with $14.00 salads and very limited menu.

turtleIScream

« Reply #6969 on: February 27, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
How do other people pronounce SUV (as in, Sport Utility Vehicle)? Do you spell out the letters, or say soo-vee? Is there a "right" way to say it?

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6970 on: February 27, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »
I say Ess-You-Vee.  That's how I've always heard it pronounced.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6971 on: February 27, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »
That is what I would say too, but I call mine a truck.  ;D

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6972 on: February 27, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
That is what I would say too, but I call mine a truck.  ;D

I say each letter "Ess-You-Vee".

And I'd never consider one a truck.  I mention I drive a truck often and people think I mean an SUV and then they see my truck and realize they could park their little SUV in my flatbed  8)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6973 on: February 27, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »
When DH and I got married, 15 years ago, we had a Ford Ranger pick up. A few years later, we bought our first Explorer, and are now on #3. It feels just like driving that Ranger did.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6974 on: February 27, 2013, 05:26:32 PM »
Ess-Yoo-Vee.  I'd get so annoyed when people called my Jeep Wrangler a truck; it was anything but!  A truck has a bed.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.