Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 970019 times)

Iris

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6960 on: February 27, 2013, 12:52:40 AM »
I can think of several explanations other than paedophile.

*He has a fear of water he is trying to overcome
*The aforementioned lane sharing issues
*He has been ordered by his doctor to exercise but just can't motivate himself
*He usually swims laps and it is important to him, but he was ill/tired/depressed and just couldn't motivate himself

I'm sure I looked equally strange last week when the day after a dear family friend died I got out of bed, put on my exercise clothes, set up my treadmill and dvd, started the treadmill and then just stood there with my feet on the edge. Eventually I stopped the treadmill and just stood on the treadmill for a while, staring into space. I was trying to live as normal but when it came to the crunch I was just too sad to do anything.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Ereine

« Reply #6961 on: February 27, 2013, 03:45:17 AM »
How small are the pools where people don't expect to share lanes? The largest pool at the place I go to has maybe ten lanes and I'm trying to imagine the riot that would ensue if people were told that they had to wait for their turn. There's another pool there that's used for swimming laps but it has even less lanes and the place has something like a thousand visitors a day (though not everyone swims laps, of course). Fortunately the large pool is 50 m long and the lanes are wide enough that passing isn't a problem. I go there every week and I haven't seen any problems.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6962 on: February 27, 2013, 08:38:28 AM »
<snip>
I'm sure I looked equally strange last week when the day after a dear family friend died I got out of bed, put on my exercise clothes, set up my treadmill and dvd, started the treadmill and then just stood there with my feet on the edge. Eventually I stopped the treadmill and just stood on the treadmill for a while, staring into space. I was trying to live as normal but when it came to the crunch I was just too sad to do anything.

I'm so sorry.  Big hugs to you.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6963 on: February 27, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
How small are the pools where people don't expect to share lanes? The largest pool at the place I go to has maybe ten lanes and I'm trying to imagine the riot that would ensue if people were told that they had to wait for their turn. There's another pool there that's used for swimming laps but it has even less lanes and the place has something like a thousand visitors a day (though not everyone swims laps, of course). Fortunately the large pool is 50 m long and the lanes are wide enough that passing isn't a problem. I go there every week and I haven't seen any problems.

Where does Carrotte live?

My town in 7000 residents and has a lovely commuity center with a pool about eight lanes wide. The treadmills overlook the pool, and I have never seen more than 4 people in the pool at one time except when there are classes, and only had to wait for a treadmill once. (I never went on a Saturday AM, but there is a signup sheet for that.)

We have a Walmart, and I have never waited in line behind more that 5 people, never had to wait for more than one at the quilt shop, and only twice have not been seated immediately at a restaurant. We have never had trouble finding a parking space, either in town or where businesses have their own parking (Walmart, Tractor Supply, etc.)

These stores are doing a comfortable business. We've only had a couple close because of financial failure - one only sold deep fried pies and ice cream, another was too high scale for a town this size and demographics with $14.00 salads and very limited menu.

turtleIScream

« Reply #6964 on: February 27, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
How do other people pronounce SUV (as in, Sport Utility Vehicle)? Do you spell out the letters, or say soo-vee? Is there a "right" way to say it?

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6965 on: February 27, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »
I say Ess-You-Vee.  That's how I've always heard it pronounced.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6966 on: February 27, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »
That is what I would say too, but I call mine a truck.  ;D

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6967 on: February 27, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
That is what I would say too, but I call mine a truck.  ;D

I say each letter "Ess-You-Vee".

And I'd never consider one a truck.  I mention I drive a truck often and people think I mean an SUV and then they see my truck and realize they could park their little SUV in my flatbed  8)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6968 on: February 27, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »
When DH and I got married, 15 years ago, we had a Ford Ranger pick up. A few years later, we bought our first Explorer, and are now on #3. It feels just like driving that Ranger did.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6969 on: February 27, 2013, 05:26:32 PM »
Ess-Yoo-Vee.  I'd get so annoyed when people called my Jeep Wrangler a truck; it was anything but!  A truck has a bed.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6970 on: February 27, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »

The pool I go to only has three lanes, but there don't seem to be a lot of swimmers in the area. Or if they are, they don't work out at Gold's.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6971 on: February 27, 2013, 06:09:32 PM »
I keep seeing these curling irons that have no clip on them to anchor and twirl your hair.  They are just the rod.  I don't use a curling iron, but I'm perplexed as to how to actually use this type curling iron.  How do you anchor the hair to keep it from coming off the rod???
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6972 on: February 27, 2013, 06:15:01 PM »
I keep seeing these curling irons that have no clip on them to anchor and twirl your hair.  They are just the rod.  I don't use a curling iron, but I'm perplexed as to how to actually use this type curling iron.  How do you anchor the hair to keep it from coming off the rod???

You just hold it. A curling iron should only be used for a few seconds, no real need to anchor the hair.

lilfox

« Reply #6973 on: February 27, 2013, 08:58:13 PM »

You just hold it. A curling iron should only be used for a few seconds, no real need to anchor the hair.

Holding the ends of the hair out also prevent you from frying the ends against the barrel too, something I am always doing with my clamping iron.

mmswm

« Reply #6974 on: February 27, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »

Holding the ends of the hair out also prevent you from frying the ends against the barrel too, something I am always doing with my clamping iron.

Though it's not fool-proof, as this video illustrates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OqKKGHdDus
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)