Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1027229 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6975 on: February 27, 2013, 09:33:46 PM »
I keep seeing these curling irons that have no clip on them to anchor and twirl your hair.  They are just the rod.  I don't use a curling iron, but I'm perplexed as to how to actually use this type curling iron.  How do you anchor the hair to keep it from coming off the rod???

You just hold it. A curling iron should only be used for a few seconds, no real need to anchor the hair.

Holding the ends of the hair out also prevent you from frying the ends against the barrel too, something I am always doing with my clamping iron.

Though it's not fool-proof, as this video illustrates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OqKKGHdDus

I saw that just the other day. You hve to wonder how hot she had it and how damaged we hair already was.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Iris

« Reply #6976 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17:18 AM »
<snip>
I'm sure I looked equally strange last week when the day after a dear family friend died I got out of bed, put on my exercise clothes, set up my treadmill and dvd, started the treadmill and then just stood there with my feet on the edge. Eventually I stopped the treadmill and just stood on the treadmill for a while, staring into space. I was trying to live as normal but when it came to the crunch I was just too sad to do anything.

I'm so sorry.  Big hugs to you.

Thank you. I'm doing much better now but the story did make me think that I would have looked just as strange as the man in the OP.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Carotte

« Reply #6977 on: February 28, 2013, 06:56:55 AM »
How small are the pools where people don't expect to share lanes? The largest pool at the place I go to has maybe ten lanes and I'm trying to imagine the riot that would ensue if people were told that they had to wait for their turn. There's another pool there that's used for swimming laps but it has even less lanes and the place has something like a thousand visitors a day (though not everyone swims laps, of course). Fortunately the large pool is 50 m long and the lanes are wide enough that passing isn't a problem. I go there every week and I haven't seen any problems.

Where does Carrotte live?

This one was in Paris, so big capital (well the city does have a good 15 or so pools). A bit on the small side, 2 lanes for lap swimmers and 2 were open for the kids. There was at least 6 to 8 swimmers per lane at all time (I left because it got too crowded with 11 people in a 25m lane), and it was 4pm ( a slow time-slot then, I've been there at 11am/1pm and it's even more crowded.).
When I'm in a near suburb there's always 10 to 12 people per lane ( 4 lanes for lap swimmers, plus 2 'open' for the others)

There was no way you could spend more than 5 minutes and not realise that you share lane (or you would have done the smart thing like another poster said and ask someone). I think the weirdest thing is that he never looked afraid, or anxious, apprehensive of the water.  Didn't seem to gather up courage.. He just looked like someone who would sit on a bench in a parc because he's 10 minutes early.
Maybe it's just that for me, going to the trouble of going to the pool, putting on a suit and all is boggling. (me, lazy? noooo..)
But who knows, I don't read minds and cannot say what he was thinking, just an odd occurence in my day I guess.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6978 on: February 28, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
turtleIScream wrote:

"How do other people pronounce SUV (as in, Sport Utility Vehicle)? Do you spell out the letters, or say soo-vee? Is there a "right" way to say it?"

Since it's an acronym the "correct" way to pronounce it is to spell it out, like IRS or DMV.  That said, I've been known to call mine a "suv" (rhyming with "love") and my wife will occasionally say it with a long oo sound (cousin rhyme with "soothe").  Those are mostly just in-jokes, though, so S-U-V is what most people will expect.

Virg

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6979 on: February 28, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »
"That dad-blasted thing that's blocking my sight on the highway".

Or Ess-You-Vee.  Either's good.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6980 on: February 28, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »
How do fast food drive-thrus know who ordered what, and how much they owe, especially if there are two lanes? (surely, this is a stupid question).

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6981 on: February 28, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »
guihong wrote:

"How do fast food drive-thrus know who ordered what, and how much they owe, especially if there are two lanes? (surely, this is a stupid question)."

Cameras, mostly, although even with two drive through lanes they still know how the cars are going to end up approaching the windows.  And practice, of course.  In the end, they also rely on the customers checking and complaining if they get the wrong order.

Virg

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #6982 on: February 28, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »
How do fast food drive-thrus know who ordered what, and how much they owe, especially if there are two lanes? (surely, this is a stupid question).

Ours just asks "You got the two cheeseburgers and the [drink]?"

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6983 on: February 28, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »
I keep seeing these curling irons that have no clip on them to anchor and twirl your hair.  They are just the rod.  I don't use a curling iron, but I'm perplexed as to how to actually use this type curling iron.  How do you anchor the hair to keep it from coming off the rod???

You just hold it. A curling iron should only be used for a few seconds, no real need to anchor the hair.

Holding the ends of the hair out also prevent you from frying the ends against the barrel too, something I am always doing with my clamping iron.

Though it's not fool-proof, as this video illustrates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OqKKGHdDus

I saw that just the other day. You hve to wonder how hot she had it and how damaged we hair already was.

Oh my...that is just horrible.  Was her hair still wet or the temp to high?  What the heck caused that??????????
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #6984 on: February 28, 2013, 08:18:39 PM »
I was once picking up my kid at her friend's house.  Friend's dad was outside when I told kid to get in the car. "That's not a car," he said, "that's a truck!" A little odd since it was a Chevy Tahoe.

"Nope," I said, "it's a car.  Our other vehicle is a truck, so if I told her to get into the truck, she'd be in the wrong one."

squeakers

« Reply #6985 on: February 28, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »
I was once picking up my kid at her friend's house.  Friend's dad was outside when I told kid to get in the car. "That's not a car," he said, "that's a truck!" A little odd since it was a Chevy Tahoe.

"Nope," I said, "it's a car.  Our other vehicle is a truck, so if I told her to get into the truck, she'd be in the wrong one."

The images of a Chevy Tahoe sure look like a truck to me.  Or maybe a station wagon jacked up (bigger wheels).
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6986 on: March 01, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »
Optimoose Prime, since the U.S. government's rules for the Tahoe (and a large number of other SUVs) label it a truck for safety and tax regulations, it's a stretch to say it's not a truck.  The reason I always describe such vehicles as SUVs is to avoid this sort of confusion.

Virg

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #6987 on: March 01, 2013, 01:27:31 PM »
I have a good rule of thumb:

If, during a car accident, the vehicle can wind up ON THE HOOD of a minivan*, then it's a truck.

* This can happen.  Ask me how I know.  Go on. ::Flexes once-broken pinky::

marcel

« Reply #6988 on: March 04, 2013, 05:18:12 AM »

The images of a Chevy Tahoe sure look like a truck to me.  Or maybe a station wagon jacked up (bigger wheels).
Regardless of how you consider the car, since the word car is an overarching word, even if the car is without a doubt a truck, you are still correct in calling it a car.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #6989 on: March 04, 2013, 06:52:09 AM »

Regardless of how you consider the car, since the word car is an overarching word, even if the car is without a doubt a truck, you are still correct in calling it a car.

Small threadjack, but it always, well, bugs me when people say that spiders aren't bugs.  Yes, they are!  They're not insects, but "bug" covers arachnids too!

Okay, threadjack over. :)