Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1124355 times)

squeakers

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6990 on: March 05, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »
I was once picking up my kid at her friend's house.  Friend's dad was outside when I told kid to get in the car. "That's not a car," he said, "that's a truck!" A little odd since it was a Chevy Tahoe.

"Nope," I said, "it's a car.  Our other vehicle is a truck, so if I told her to get into the truck, she'd be in the wrong one."

The images of a Chevy Tahoe sure look like a truck to me.  Or maybe a station wagon jacked up (bigger wheels).
Regardless of how you consider the car, since the word car is an overarching word, even if the car is without a doubt a truck, you are still correct in calling it a car.

I would say both a car and a truck are vehicles: one is used to transport people (cars) and one is used to haul stuff (trucks).  If there was no difference between cars and (light) trucks (vs semis which are also called trucks) then there wouldn't be a difference in plate fees, insurance fees and road tax fees or any other fees and laws associated with vehicles. Nor would the manufacturers have lines of cars, SUVs, trucks and vans.. they would just all be called "cars". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet#Vehicle_models and for "what is an SUV?" http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_an_SUV_a_truck

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6991 on: March 05, 2013, 02:31:10 PM »
Optimoose Prime, since the U.S. government's rules for the Tahoe (and a large number of other SUVs) label it a truck for safety and tax regulations, it's a stretch to say it's not a truck.  The reason I always describe such vehicles as SUVs is to avoid this sort of confusion.

Virg

This must vary by state not "U.S. government rules" because I have a Ford F150 that is by most definitions a "truck" but it is legally registered as, and taxed as, a passenger vehicle ("suburban") not as a "truck" and as such it is legally allowed on parkways, which in my state at least, are highways that specifically outlaw trucks and any commercial vehicles. I know of no one in my state who's SUV was legally considered a "truck" it is purely a social term for the vehicles.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6992 on: March 05, 2013, 02:50:40 PM »
WillyNilly wrote:

"This must vary by state not "U.S. government rules" because I have a Ford F150 that is by most definitions a "truck" but it is legally registered as, and taxed as, a passenger vehicle ("suburban") not as a "truck" and as such it is legally allowed on parkways, which in my state at least, are highways that specifically outlaw trucks and any commercial vehicles. I know of no one in my state who's SUV was legally considered a "truck" it is purely a social term for the vehicles."

National regulations involve the manufacture of the vehicle and safety regulations for selling them, and taxation on import.  Registration, sales/use taxes and fees are always handled at the state level so that definition will vary by state.  By U.S. government rules, which cover the safety tests they must pass, emissions and engine standards, and design rules, SUVs are trucks.  I wouldn't see a problem saying they are "cars" in the passenger vehicle sense, but I do think that saying they're not trucks is inaccurate because of the above.

Virg

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6993 on: March 05, 2013, 05:30:12 PM »
Can I just say I'm tickled that Optimoose Prime is part of a discussion on trucks?   ;D

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6994 on: March 06, 2013, 06:47:29 PM »
New question:

What is the difference between a Breakfront, Sideboard and Buffet?

My mother has a Buffet, my SIL has a Breakfront and my other SIL has a Sideboard. They all seem to serve the same function: drawers & cabinets to store dishes/table clothes, etc. Sometimes food is placed on top for large parties.

Do you have one of these things and what do you call it? Why?

(I actually have a buffet, but I guess I can't call it that because my TV, stereo, etc. are on top of it and I store the videos/dvds/games, etc. inside. :-\)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6995 on: March 06, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
I've been reading the thread about how to use a single sink.  Some of the UK posters are referring to something they call a mixer tap and they linked to a egullet post talking about how mixer taps are new (2004) to the UK and that hot and cold water come out separately. 

I'm seriously not getting this.  I thought a mixer tap was what is very common in the US today. One "lever" used to change how hot or how cold you want the water coming out fo the faucet.

I'm an old enough US citizen to remember having faucets/taps that had a "Hot" knob and a "Cold" knob (I still have this now that I think about it in my downstairs powder room) but you just turn them both till you get to the combined temp that is flowing out of the same faucet.

But in reading the egullet description, it makes me think in the UK sinks actually have two separate faucets, one for hot and one for cold.  Is that right? 

GreenHall

« Reply #6996 on: March 06, 2013, 07:07:23 PM »
Why did it take two and a half hours for me to buy a car?  I qualified for the dealers financing, trying to haggle accounted for maybe ten minutes.   Some paperwork, I'm sure they did some things in the back, but there was just a lot of time with me sitting there waiting for the salesguy to come back and let me know where we were going next. 
Was this just a tactic for them to get me so tired of the process, that i was an even easier mark at before? ( no not still frustrated)

I guess I was lucky, my coworker said he spent 6 hours buying his most recent car...

perpetua

« Reply #6997 on: March 06, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »
I'm an old enough US citizen to remember having faucets/taps that had a "Hot" knob and a "Cold" knob (I still have this now that I think about it in my downstairs powder room) but you just turn them both till you get to the combined temp that is flowing out of the same faucet.

That's pretty much what we call a mixer tap.

But in reading the egullet description, it makes me think in the UK sinks actually have two separate faucets, one for hot and one for cold.  Is that right?

Some do, unless they have a mixer tap (as above).

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #6998 on: March 06, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
I've been reading the thread about how to use a single sink.  Some of the UK posters are referring to something they call a mixer tap and they linked to a egullet post talking about how mixer taps are new (2004) to the UK and that hot and cold water come out separately. 

I'm seriously not getting this.  I thought a mixer tap was what is very common in the US today. One "lever" used to change how hot or how cold you want the water coming out fo the faucet.

I don't know what's common in the UK, but such sinks definitely exist. My mother's house (in the USA) was built around 1930 and the bathroom sinks have two faucets, one for hot and one for cold water. If you wanted warm (not hot) water, then you could either put in the stopper (attached on a chain) and mix the water in the sink to the proper temperature or use the hot faucet before it gets up to full temp (what I usually did  ;)). Washing with warm running water required a certain finesse to avoid either chilling or scalding one's hands. Our kitchen sink and bathtub taps all had single faucets with two knobs, but I don't know if they were that way when the house was built or those were changed during a later renovation.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6999 on: March 06, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »

Here's one as an example:
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=137&stc=1&d=1109203130

snowfire

« Reply #7000 on: March 06, 2013, 07:59:32 PM »
New question:

My mother has a Buffet, my SIL has a Breakfront and my other SIL has a Sideboard. They all seem to serve the same function: drawers & cabinets to store dishes/table clothes, etc. Sometimes food is placed on top for large parties.

(I actually have a buffet, but I guess I can't call it that because my TV, stereo, etc. are on top of it and I store the videos/dvds/games, etc. inside. :-\)

What I consider as a buffet, and maybe a sideboard, though we never used that term in my family, is a piece of furniture about waist high with drawers & such for storing table linens & such and it has a flat top that you can put food type stuff on.  What we call a breakfront is a two piece item.  The base has drawers & shelves with doors which we always used for yet more table linens, candles & holders, vases.  The top part has glass front doors and shelves where  you can display pretty items.  The whole thing stands about 6.5 feet tall.  I was told it was called a breakfront because the two pieces "break" apart for moving.

This is what I would consider a buffet.

This is what I would call a breakfront.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:04:42 PM by snowfire »

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #7001 on: March 06, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »
New question:

I went to the Oxford English Dictionary to check this.

Sideboard - A table (esp. for taking meals at) placed towards the side of a room, hall, etc. 1377
Buffet - a sideboard. First recorded use 1718
Breakfront -   Used esp. attrib.: a piece of furniture having a front of which the line is broken by a curve or angle. 1928

So there you go. The same thing, just the words are different.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7002 on: March 06, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »
WillyNilly wrote:

"This must vary by state not "U.S. government rules" because I have a Ford F150 that is by most definitions a "truck" but it is legally registered as, and taxed as, a passenger vehicle ("suburban") not as a "truck" and as such it is legally allowed on parkways, which in my state at least, are highways that specifically outlaw trucks and any commercial vehicles. I know of no one in my state who's SUV was legally considered a "truck" it is purely a social term for the vehicles."

National regulations involve the manufacture of the vehicle and safety regulations for selling them, and taxation on import.  Registration, sales/use taxes and fees are always handled at the state level so that definition will vary by state.  By U.S. government rules, which cover the safety tests they must pass, emissions and engine standards, and design rules, SUVs are trucks.  I wouldn't see a problem saying they are "cars" in the passenger vehicle sense, but I do think that saying they're not trucks is inaccurate because of the above.

Virg

I agree with Virg. A reason why SUV's are considered "trucks", from what I understand, is that they are manufactured on the same chassis, have the same motor, and same transmission as a full-size pickup truck. So other than some extra sheet metal to fill in the body and extra seating, a Ford Explorer is fundamentally the same as a Ford F150.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7003 on: March 06, 2013, 10:15:44 PM »
New question:

What I consider as a buffet, and maybe a sideboard, though we never used that term in my family, is a piece of furniture about waist high with drawers & such for storing table linens & such and it has a flat top that you can put food type stuff on.  What we call a breakfront is a two piece item.  The base has drawers & shelves with doors which we always used for yet more table linens, candles & holders, vases.  The top part has glass front doors and shelves where  you can display pretty items.  The whole thing stands about 6.5 feet tall.  I was told it was called a breakfront because the two pieces "break" apart for moving.

This is what I would consider a buffet.

This is what I would call a breakfront.

I would call the second one a china cabinet.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7004 on: March 06, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »
If you look at the middle section of the glass-doored cabinet snowfire posted, it sticks out just a bit from the ends. I think that is what makes it a breakfront.

I would also imagine that the term "china cabinet" is more inclusive than the term "breakfront." In other words, a china cabinet can describe just about any piece of furniture with shelves suitable for storing/displaying china and glass doors, whereas a breakfront is a specific type of china cabinet.

As far as buffet vs. sideboard, I think they refer to the same piece of furniture and are synonyms of each other.