Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 984353 times)

Carotte

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7050 on: March 13, 2013, 06:28:12 AM »
This reminds me of when I found a toy replica from Doctor Who (the british tv show, the sonic screwdriver/sonic pen combo) priced 70 on amazon.co.uk! It was august 2011, right now the same listing is at 40, and that is still 25 more than the normal listing price of this object.

I don't know if it's still sold in normal stores since it's from a few series back, but if some sellers can have it for the normal price it's just uterly stupid to try and sell it at this price (or wait until they all catch up to yours). Just to be sure that no clueless parents or grandparent would think it was the normal price I wrote something in the 'this product forum', maybe I should have left a review.
There's another listing for almost the same toy at 50 too..

I think that when I ordered mine it was 15 with shipping to europe included  ::)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7051 on: March 13, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »
Two possible scenarios, then:

1) someone mistyped the price and missed a decimal point

2) There were two poorly-written algorithms keyed off each other and they both ran up their prices to something unrealistic, but one person noticed and fixed the problem while the other one didn't  :)  I figure if drop-shippers fall on a bell curve like everyone else does for intelligence, then we're probably just seeing the stupidest/least competent/worst programmers of the bunch.
I queried the seller and got this in reply:
Thank you for your interest in our listings.  The item details on the Amazon page should be accurate.  We do not have additional information available at this time.  Most orders ship at the post office media rate.  If you receive an item from us and are unhappy with it for any reason please let us know.  We are always happy to assist with a return if necessary.
This was a professional seller with 350,344 total ratings.  So either the responder didn't have his morning coffee yet and just fired off a canned reply without looking at the price, or someone thinks they really can get that kind of price.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #7052 on: March 13, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
Okay the talk of the different American states, particularly the naming of New Mexico, in the Brain Hurt thread got me thinking...

Now if I remember my grade school history right, the colonies of New Hampshire and New York were named for English places the pilgrims came from, correct? So what Jersey is "New" Jersey named for? I think there are some places out there that are named "New City/Town/Province etc." but don't necessarily have an original counterpart. If so, why the "New"? Can anyone enlighten me on the naming process and the reasoning behind these names?  ???
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7053 on: March 13, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »
Okay the talk of the different American states, particularly the naming of New Mexico, in the Brain Hurt thread got me thinking...

Now if I remember my grade school history right, the colonies of New Hampshire and New York were named for English places the pilgrims came from, correct? So what Jersey is "New" Jersey named for? I think there are some places out there that are named "New City/Town/Province etc." but don't necessarily have an original counterpart. If so, why the "New"? Can anyone enlighten me on the naming process and the reasoning behind these names?  ???

Probably this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Tea Drinker

« Reply #7054 on: March 13, 2013, 04:33:22 PM »
Jersey is one of the Channel Islands. It isn't technically part of the United Kingdom, but is a Crown Dependency [sic] of the British monarchy. Similarly, it's not actually part of the European Union, but has some of the benefits of membership.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

marcel

« Reply #7055 on: March 14, 2013, 12:10:58 AM »

I have for years had the problem that when Jersey was mentioned in books/films etc. that I never understood what was so special about Jersey that it got so many mentions.

It took me a few years to realize that usualy when Jersey is mentioned, that what is actualy meant is New Jersey, the US state next to New York, and not Jersey, the channel island. (nowadays I just get annoyed at people being to lazy to say/write new)

I actualy don't think there are any places that use new without an original counterpart. The counterpart may no longer exists, have changed names etc. but I think there actualy always is a counterpart. Curious if people can think of a new without an old counterpart.

Wherever you go..... There you are.

Bluenomi

« Reply #7056 on: March 14, 2013, 12:19:12 AM »

I have for years had the problem that when Jersey was mentioned in books/films etc. that I never understood what was so special about Jersey that it got so many mentions.

It took me a few years to realize that usualy when Jersey is mentioned, that what is actualy meant is New Jersey, the US state next to New York, and not Jersey, the channel island. (nowadays I just get annoyed at people being to lazy to say/write new)

I actualy don't think there are any places that use new without an original counterpart. The counterpart may no longer exists, have changed names etc. but I think there actualy always is a counterpart. Curious if people can think of a new without an old counterpart.

It annoys me as well. Jesery Shore would be very different if it was actually set in Jersey not New Jersey.

Barney girl

« Reply #7057 on: March 14, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
I had to think twice recently when someone told me in an excited tone that they were going to Boston for a long weekend. It's a pleasant place, but not that special ..... Oh, she meant Boston in the USA.

Similarly when my mother and I flew to Canada, landing in Toronto, it was very strange seeing the names of towns we were flying over, as though we were doing a crazy tour of the British Isles.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7058 on: March 14, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »
Any Kiwi, or I guess Danish too, people know the answer to this one? I visited Denmark a while ago and learned that one of the Danish islands is called Sjaelland (pronounced as I understand it Zealand). Is then New Zealand a place where many Danish people settled and they named it after their homeland? If so, why the spelling change?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Ereine

« Reply #7059 on: March 14, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
I believe that it's actually named after Dutch Zeeland (though Wikipedia tells me that both are also known as Zealand and I guess mean the same thing, sea land).

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7060 on: March 14, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »
I had no idea there was a Dutch Zeeland.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7061 on: March 14, 2013, 04:33:17 PM »

There are a lot of "Zees" in Dutch words. I have lived in upstate NY and Jersey (sorry, could not resist!), where there is a lot of Dutch influence. :) There is the Tappan Zee Bridge, for example, that connects Rockland and Westchester Counties via the Hudson River. The Tappan part is Native American, the Zee from the Dutch. And in MI, where I grew up, there a town called Zeeland, near Holland, MI. The Dutch got around!

As far as calling the state I live in Jersey, that is pretty much what the residents call it. You will never hear, "the New Jersey Shore." In formal settings, definitely it is NJ. In casual situations, Jersey is the norm.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #7062 on: March 14, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »

There are a lot of "Zees" in Dutch words. I have lived in upstate NY and Jersey (sorry, could not resist!), where there is a lot of Dutch influence. :) There is the Tappan Zee Bridge, for example, that connects Rockland and Westchester Counties via the Hudson River. The Tappan part is Native American, the Zee from the Dutch. And in MI, where I grew up, there a town called Zeeland, near Holland, MI. The Dutch got around!

As far as calling the state I live in Jersey, that is pretty much what the residents call it. You will never hear, "the New Jersey Shore." In formal settings, definitely it is NJ. In casual situations, Jersey is the norm.

I live in Zeeland, MI!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7063 on: March 14, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »

I live in Zeeland, MI!

Hi there, fellow 'gander!  :)

ScubaGirl

« Reply #7064 on: March 14, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »

I live in Zeeland, MI!

Hi there, fellow 'gander!  :)

Even in Michigan so few people have heard of Zeeland that I just smiled and smiled when I saw your post.   :)