Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1024294 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7065 on: March 14, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
I had no idea there was a Dutch Zeeland.

There are a lot of "Zees" in Dutch words. I have lived in upstate NY and Jersey (sorry, could not resist!), where there is a lot of Dutch influence. :) There is the Tappan Zee Bridge, for example, that connects Rockland and Westchester Counties via the Hudson River. The Tappan part is Native American, the Zee from the Dutch. And in MI, where I grew up, there a town called Zeeland, near Holland, MI. The Dutch got around!

As far as calling the state I live in Jersey, that is pretty much what the residents call it. You will never hear, "the New Jersey Shore." In formal settings, definitely it is NJ. In casual situations, Jersey is the norm.
Okay then, why don't New York residents call their city York?  :P
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7066 on: March 14, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »

There are a lot of "Zees" in Dutch words. I have lived in upstate NY and Jersey (sorry, could not resist!), where there is a lot of Dutch influence. :) There is the Tappan Zee Bridge, for example, that connects Rockland and Westchester Counties via the Hudson River. The Tappan part is Native American, the Zee from the Dutch. And in MI, where I grew up, there a town called Zeeland, near Holland, MI. The Dutch got around!

As far as calling the state I live in Jersey, that is pretty much what the residents call it. You will never hear, "the New Jersey Shore." In formal settings, definitely it is NJ. In casual situations, Jersey is the norm.

Who knows why language does anything it does? However, what we don't typically say is "New York City." Or "Salt Lake City." Or "City of Los Angeles." Those might be the full, official names, but they're called what they're called.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7067 on: March 14, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »

It just is. Local dialect is funny like that.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7068 on: March 14, 2013, 05:36:07 PM »
Scubagirl, I've been to Zeeland. I lived in a tiny town near GR for my first 5 years. Bonus if you've heard of it: it was Alaska.  :)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7069 on: March 14, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »

Who knows why language does anything it does? However, what we don't typically say is "New York City." Or "Salt Lake City." Or "City of Los Angeles." Those might be the full, official names, but they're called what they're called.
Actually, LA's name is a lot more of a mouthful than appending 'City' to it.  El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #7070 on: March 14, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »
New Zealand was named by Abel Tasman the Dutch explorer, in honour of his birthplace.  The first settlers called it Aotearoa land of the long white cloud, which is how they first saw it from their canoes.

Yes there were a lot of Danish settlers to New Zealand and they first settled in a place called Dannevirke - Danes Work, which is just down the the road from a place called Norsewood,  Guess where those settlers came from.

marcel

« Reply #7071 on: March 14, 2013, 09:40:43 PM »
I believe that it's actually named after Dutch Zeeland (though Wikipedia tells me that both are also known as Zealand and I guess mean the same thing, sea land).
New Zealand is definitely named after the Dutch province Zeeland. This is probably related to the fact that the first Europeans in New Zealand were Dutch (Abel Tasman, after whom Tasmania was named)

There are a lot of "Zees" in Dutch words. I have lived in upstate NY and Jersey (sorry, could not resist!), where there is a lot of Dutch influence. :) There is the Tappan Zee Bridge, for example, that connects Rockland and Westchester Counties via the Hudson River. The Tappan part is Native American, the Zee from the Dutch. And in MI, where I grew up, there a town called Zeeland, near Holland, MI. The Dutch got around![/q]It is not that we have that many zees in Dutch word, it is just that you apparently see a lot of words related to the sea.

As for other Dutch names, New York used to be New Amsterdam, and you can still find some Dutch names there, like Harlem.

Just try to remember that there are people out there who think you are actualy talking about Jersey when you say Jersey.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #7072 on: March 15, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »
Scubagirl, I've been to Zeeland. I lived in a tiny town near GR for my first 5 years. Bonus if you've heard of it: it was Alaska.  :)

We have friends who live in Alaska! 

Tea Drinker

« Reply #7073 on: March 15, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
It's "New York City" when we need to distinguish from the state: "Where are you from? New York. Oh, where in New York? New York City." Sometimes I cut to the chase and start by saying I live in New York City. The rest of the time, the long form is what we see on government paperwork and some politicians' speeches.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7074 on: March 15, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »

Why would we copy the people of Jersey? We're New York, people copy us;)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7075 on: March 15, 2013, 02:05:26 PM »
Topic in the special snowflakes thread reminded me of a question I've been wondering about: does autocorrect base its suggestions on words *you personally* use a lot, or does it acquire words from some big master list?  If it's based on the master list, how do they avoid offending half their users when it "corrects" an innocent word into something profane (which - based on what I've seen on the rest of the internet - would probably be a pretty common occurrence)?  If it's based on your own history, does that mean those embarrassingly profane autocorrects mean the person really did type that vulgar word enough for it to be at the top of the possibilities list?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7076 on: March 15, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »
My autocorrect automatically capitalizes "Boojum."  I don't know if it's realized it's a name, based on my use, or if literary boojums are properly capitalized.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog (M); Magpie (M); Zuul (F); Nazgul (F)

magicdomino

« Reply #7077 on: March 15, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
Autocorrect has to be learning words.  While I can understand the formal names for body parts appearing, and of course many perfectly nice words have unfortunate slang definitions, some of the words appearing on that site, well, lets just say that I would be very surprised if my office Blackberry offered them as possible words.   :o

So, if you don't want Autocorrect to be a pottymouth, don't be a pottymouth.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #7078 on: March 15, 2013, 04:01:36 PM »
I don't know if this holds true for all phones, but I've accidentally saved a few goofy "words" to my phone's autocorrect. It comes up as an option every time I type something in, including things like: I tried to type 'bigger' and got 'biggest' from my phone, so I backspaced and corrected it. Somehow, I added 'gger' to my custom dictionary as a result, and now it comes up a lot as a suggestion. Also, if I miss the keyboard while trying to 'swipe' in a word, it will sometimes sub in some really odd things as well.

It does learn a little bit - it capitalizes the names I type in frequently, and it offers my husband's name as a suggestion before some other close words. But sometimes I think it just likes to mess with me, and refuses to recognize words out of spite.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #7079 on: March 15, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
The first settlers in New Zeeland were not Dutch.  In fact Tasman only landed here once and sailed  away.  Cook did the exploration and charting.  The Dutch arrived in great numbers after WW2.  Early settlers were mainly English and Scots, with a fair number of French as well. In fact it was a close run thing as to whether it became a British or French colony