Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 836814 times)

magicdomino

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7140 on: March 20, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
For the people having problem with their hair:

try something like this: http://www.silvermoonbeams.com/PAGES/Flowers.html

They are really easy to use, these ones (specifically) bend, both parts.  They haven't broke on me yet, and they're decorative enough to look professional.  I've used them to hold curly hair, pin straight hair, thin hair, buns, french twists and ponytails (half and full).

They are worth their weight in gold.  Me and my friends all love them.

Are these like the flexi-8 (www.flexi8.com)? I've been meaning to get one of those but they're quite expensive for me. Also I'm a bit apprehensive about sizing as the website doesn't seem to take into account different lengths of hair (and mine is just past my waist).

I have also learned other hair styles from Youtube and would recommend searching on there for the Nautilus bun which after some practice goes up in minutes with just one stick.

I bought a couple of Flexi-8s at a craft show, so I had a chance to try them out first.  Length of hair doesn't matter as much as thickness and the way you will be using it.  A full ponytail requires a larger Flexi-8 than a style where only the front hair is pulled up and back.  My thin-to medium wavy hair uses a medium Flexi-8 for a full ponytail.  However, I need to use an elastic with it, because I'm not quite coordinated to hold the hair together, squeeze the ornament, and manuver the stick all at the same time.

mandycorn

« Reply #7141 on: March 20, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »
Thanks KenveeB and lady_disdain, that's exactly what I needed to know! :D

I lent them to my sister to wear for her wedding and since then, I've always thought of them as off limits for normal day-to-day wear, but I'm giving it a shot and so far, I'm really loving it!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:14:58 PM by mandycorn »
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Perfect Circle

• The followers of chaos, out of control
« Reply #7142 on: March 20, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for answering the smoke detector question.  I hate balancing on a ladder to change the batteries--having them high up but not ON the ceiling will help.

Our local fire department does home safety checks and install the smoke detectors for free for you.  They said the detectors must be on your ceiling rather than wall to work perfectly. The kind of detector they installed has a battery life of about ten years so it isn't very often you'd have to climb up to change it.
In all this talk of time
Talk is fine
But I don't want to stay around
Why can't we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7143 on: March 20, 2013, 07:02:07 PM »

I lent them to my sister to wear for her wedding and since then, I've always thought of them as off limits for normal day-to-day wear, but I'm giving it a shot and so far, I'm really loving it!

I have a pearl necklace that I wear at least a few times each week. They really are a lovely form of jewelry.

I agree with the advice above, but make sure that you store them in a location where they won't get scratched. If you don't have a dedicated spot in a jewelry box where they won't get rubbed up against each other or other jewelry, it's probably worth finding a jewelry pouch with a soft interior so that you can keep them protected. I keep mine in a zippered pouch inside my jewelry box, since my jewelry box doesn't have any good spots for necklaces that would keep them protected enough.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7144 on: March 20, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »
For those wondering about hair accessories, I bought this a few months ago and really like it:

http://www.drugstore.com/goody-comfort-flex-updo-barrette/qxp299224?catid=183396

I found mine at Target, but I've also seen it at my local grocery store. I think it also comes in a smaller size. The one I linked to is large enough to fit around all of my hair, even when it's doubled up on itself. I have not found many barrettes that are large enough to fit around all of my hair even in just a low ponytail, so that's a major plus.

I have shoulder-length curly hair right now, although it's still a little slippery and kind of unruly. When I use the barrette above, I gather my hair into a low ponytail, then twist it up (like I'm going for a french twist). I secure it by sticking the bar of the barrette underneath the twist (catching some of the hair right up against my scalp), and then securing it around the whole thing. Since my hair is short and curly, I just leave the ends sticking straight up, and they sort of curl around the rest of my hairstyle so it doesn't look like that's what I'm doing. :) If my hair were longer, I'd probably try to find a way to tuck the ends under somehow.

The nicest things about this barrette are that it holds my hair securely without being too snug or hurting my head, it doesn't snag my hair when I put it in or take it out, and it looks classy. I've gotten several compliments on my hair when I've used it during work hours. When I've checked out the result in a mirror at home, it really just ends up looking like I created a totally awesome french twist and then stuck a decoration on it for show. Nothing holds my hair so securely that I can leave it alone for 8 hours at a time (unless there's a lot of hairspray involved), but this does well enough that I usually only have to re-do the style once during my average work day.

Another thing I've learned with regard to hair involves my bangs. I had longish side-swept bangs cut in several years ago, but I'm kind of lazy about keeping them trimmed. They are often long enough to get in my face and be annoying, so I often pin them back with bobby pins. One thing I realized is that the look where you pull your bangs straight up, smooth them out a bit, and then pin them straight back on your head (leaving a bit of volume at your hairline) can actually be a flattering look under the right circumstances. It works for me when I can get the right chunk of hair and smooth them out enough that there aren't lumps. Too wide or too narrow a section of hair looks somewhat odd, but it works if I use one that occupies about the middle third of my forehead.

Also, if you are going to pin bangs (or similar) back with bobby pins, use two. Crossing one over another so they form an X works well, but I've also found that just putting two in parallel to each other (but close together) can be a secure hold, too. Particularly when I'm just pinning my bangs back on the side of my face, two parallel bobby pins looks a little nicer to me than crossing them.

Bluenomi

« Reply #7145 on: March 20, 2013, 07:40:46 PM »
You can get pearl necklaces restrung and they recommend you do it every now and again (I think at least every 10 years is standard but it depends on how much you wear them). I have my mother's pearls and got the restrung before my wedding since they hadn't been done for 20 years or so. It doesn't cost much, I think I paid less than $50 for mine.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7146 on: March 20, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »
You can also do it yourself. It isn't hard and although it takes a little time, it can easily be done in front of the tv. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7147 on: March 20, 2013, 10:16:38 PM »
I learned how to string pearls last year and have made a few necklaces since.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7148 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »

Just remember that storing pearls for long periods without proper ventilation can be damaging.  They can dry out.  The saying is "Pearls want to be worn."

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7149 on: March 21, 2013, 12:42:18 AM »
So I'm relatively new to home ownership and I had my first major toilet incident this weekend. I called a recommended plumber who said my particular toilet is a weird brand with irregularly shaped parts and he might not be able to find the right one. If he can, it would cost $175 for the part and the repair. If he can't, I'd have to buy a new toilet ($150ish) and he could install it for another $150. Since he couldn't do anything right away, he didn't charge me for the visit.

While talking with a more experienced friend last night, he said the prices sound right but if it comes to a new toilet, he could install it for me for free. If I suddenly change my mind, do I risk alienating the plumber, who I might want to use in the future? Should I offer to pay him for his time so far?

I don't think you need to worry about alienating the plumber.  There are a million plumbers out there, so if this one gets his nose bent out of shape because you opted for the most economical plan of action (and who wouldn't?), then just find a different plumber.

Installing a toilet is not difficult.  If you have a friend who is willing to help you, I think it's smart to save the $150.

Thanks for the advice guys! I didn't want to step on anybody's toes. When my plumber called to say he couldn't find the part, I thanked him for the help and said I would install a new toilet myself. He wished me luck and said I should call if I have any future problems.

Home Depot had a sale on a good model for $100 tonight and my gym-loving neighbor was hanging outside so I offered him a beer and some brownies to get the thing out of my car and up the stairs. I picked up a six pack of my friend's favorite beer for tomorrow and I'm starting a double batch of brownies to split between the two guys.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7150 on: March 21, 2013, 08:16:13 AM »
Brownies and beer are the sure way to find some helpful friends! Yay, mbbored!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7151 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:15 AM »
Definitely sure to get you some brownie points, eh?  Ehhhh?

Okay, I know the way out...

(Bonus funny: The first time I typed "brownie points", I accidentally omitted the w...)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7152 on: March 21, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"This is actually recommended.  Smoke and fire tend to crawl up the walls first then spread over the ceiling so it is better to have them on the wall.  My local fire departement recommends having them just outside all sleeping areas, as well as at least one on each floor somewhere."

It's not unsafe to mount them on the wall but it's safest to mount them on the ceiling.  You're right that smoke tends to climb walls, but think about how this would affect the smoke alarm if the smoke was climbing a wall other than the on on which the alarm is mounted.  It would have to cross the whole ceiling and fill the room down to the alarm to trigger it, and seconds count in a fire.  Considering that changing the batteries is a twice a year endeavor, I'd put them on the ceiling unless there was some reason not to do it.

Virg

that_one_girl

« Reply #7153 on: March 22, 2013, 08:51:28 PM »
woohoo!  I might have to do the happy dance because I made it through this whole thread!
I have come up with some really random questions (some stupider than others) along the way.

1. Why do dogs have a little extra flap of skin at the lower corner of the ear?  It is like a double layered little bit on only the bottom part of the ear.  Am I making any sense?

2. Why does the ice from the ice-maker inside my freezer freeze all together in the catch-tray? Can this be prevented?  It is a pain in the butt and I have actually broken catch-trays trying to dislodge enough ice to put in my water bottle.

3. What exactly is a “quid”?  I know it's some kind of Britsy term relating to money, but I'm not quite sure what exactly it is.  Is it a coin?

4. When I tell my husband to keep the door shut so the flies won’t get in in the summer, he responds with "flies come from fruit".  Is this accurate?  (I am talking about the bigger flies with the red eyes which I believe are called "Blowflies" and not the little ones which I think are called "Drosophila/Fruit flies".

5. Similarly, I was chewed out by my FIL for having a stack of old cereal boxes and pizza boxes stacked in the corner of the kitchen waiting for hubby to take them to the recycling center. FIL says that cockroaches come from having cardboard boxes around.  Is this accurate?  I worked fast food for years. There were never roaches around either the inside storage areas (freezer/refrigerator/dry-storage) where the food was stored in cardboard boxes or the dumpster where we disposed of said boxes whenever they were empty.

6. Why do I like to use a fork to put my dressing/dip on my salad/chips?  I've had more weird looks for dipping my fork in my dressing before stabbing my salad than for using chopsticks to eat said salad.   Am I just crazy?

7. Would it damage a child to encourage them to be ambidextrous?  Not trying to spark a flame war here, just wondering if I had children and encouraged them saying things like, "Ok, can you write that letter with your other hand too?" if it would scar them for life.

8. Is it possible to become ambidextrous as an adult?  Ever since I injured my hand in high school, I've wondered if it would be a waste of time for me to try to train myself to write with both hands.

I do wish that this thread was actually a category in the forum, so that way the questions could be sorted in categories and each question could be its own topic.

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7154 on: March 22, 2013, 08:58:49 PM »
1.  Don't know, though I know exactly what about you're talking.

2.  Don't know, maybe it's too shallow for how much water goes in, so the tops freeze together.

3.  It is like Americans saying "buck"; it means a pound.  "May I borrow 30 bucks" is to "May I borrow 30 dollars" as "May I borrow 30 quid" is to "May I borrow 30 pounds"/

4.  He's wrong and you're right.  Everything has to get into the house somehow, whether we carry them/their eggs in with our food or they come in through the door when it is left open.

5.  Same as above.  They're not going to spontaneously arrive because of boxes; they or their eggs have to be carried in somehow.

6.  No clue.

7.  I don't think so; I think it could actually be a benefit to creativity and being adaptive.

8.  Yes, you can train yourself, though it may take awhile.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.