News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 23, 2017, 08:14:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2360109 times)

mmswm

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7140 on: March 23, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »
When my left-handed son had to use his right hand after is first (of four) operations on his left hand/arm, he found that writing on a chalk board or white board was far easier than trying write on paper.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

jpcher

« Reply #7141 on: March 23, 2013, 01:11:55 PM »

2.  Don't know, maybe it's too shallow for how much water goes in, so the tops freeze together.

They are solid, separate cubes when they fall into the tray.  Only afterwards do they stick together in a huge clump.  It is truely maddening!

Also could deal with the humidity in your house - I have this problem a lot more during the spring and fall (when I'm not running the A/C) than I do during the summer or winter.  You open the freezer, a fresh crop of humid air gets in, then it freezes on everything . . . repeat a whole bunch of times and you have clumpy ice.

One thing to check is how the water refills the tray -- is there a leak in there somewhere? (maybe in the tray itself?) Does the water possibly splash over a bit? Are the cubes completely frozen when they are dumped in the catch-bin?

In my work freezer, the ice tends to clump, but it's easy enough to break them apart. I noticed that when a fresh batch of ice gets dumped, the cubes are a bit damp. Of course, I get ice for water several times a day and usually swish the cubes around a bit to prevent this problem. Maybe try that?

I agree with others -- lower the temperature in your freezer a few degrees, I think this might help.

Carotte

« Reply #7142 on: March 23, 2013, 06:33:54 PM »
Regarding kids and non-dominant hand, try presenting it as a game. Use coloring or solving a maze, then drawing and maybe writing.
If the kid is old enough (I'd say from 7 y/old and on), make it a challenge, doing the same exercise day after day, for say a week, then compare the earliest and the oldest 'work', it's likely to be really improved. The brain, at that age even more, is really flexible and will pick it up in no time. 10 min a day and you'll see improvement (I used to do this when I was bored in class, writting the same line or doodling, or even just trying to take notes) but you do loose it quickly if you don't practice.
It's a good exercise because it forces the brain to adapt and use/create new neurological pathways.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7143 on: March 24, 2013, 03:14:03 AM »
Okay, I'll admit I come late to the whole Apple product family, but this doesn't seem like it should be so hard . . .

I have a PC, an iPad, and a new-to-me iPod Nano.  Through iTunes on my PC, I burned a few actual physical CDs.  How do I get these to show up on my iPod and/or iPad?  They show up in iTunes just fine, but all the advice I've found online assumes transferring songs I've purchased through the Cloud (and these weren't purchased through iTunes) or assumes what I assume is an old version of iTunes and tells me to use the "sync" button (which mine doesn't have, even buried in a menu somewhere).  The songs I bought through iTunes show up just fine, but I can't even find an option to transfer over the others.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #7144 on: March 24, 2013, 04:05:20 AM »
Okay, I'll admit I come late to the whole Apple product family, but this doesn't seem like it should be so hard . . .

I have a PC, an iPad, and a new-to-me iPod Nano.  Through iTunes on my PC, I burned a few actual physical CDs.  How do I get these to show up on my iPod and/or iPad?  They show up in iTunes just fine, but all the advice I've found online assumes transferring songs I've purchased through the Cloud (and these weren't purchased through iTunes) or assumes what I assume is an old version of iTunes and tells me to use the "sync" button (which mine doesn't have, even buried in a menu somewhere).  The songs I bought through iTunes show up just fine, but I can't even find an option to transfer over the others.

Connect up the iPod/iPad to the computer, then click on that device when it appears in iTunes.

The sync button is at the bottom, you might have to scroll.  It's quite small.

Slartibartfast

« Reply #7145 on: March 24, 2013, 04:10:37 AM »

Connect up the iPod/iPad to the computer, then click on that device when it appears in iTunes.

The sync button is at the bottom, you might have to scroll.  It's quite small.

My iPod is physically hooked up and my iPad should be available via wifi, but neither of them show up anywhere I can see in iTunes.  I found a "devices" menu which has "sync" as one of the choices, but the entire menu is grayed out.  I've been reading about iTunes Match, which purports to let you copy music from a CD to your iPod, but it requires using Cloud and I don't think my iPod nano has that capability.  (Plus I'm not keen on paying $25/year to get access to songs I already own!)

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #7146 on: March 24, 2013, 05:07:01 AM »
Okay Slarti -let's try and see if we can make iTunes palatable.

(I have a similar setup to you - iPad, iPod and a Windows computer running iTunes.)

First thing - are you running the most recent version of iTunes? If you've got a new Nano then unless you're running the newest version of iTunes it might not like 'talking' to it. The update options will be in one of the top menus - look for 'check for updates'.

When you first connect each device to the computer it should make iTunes pop up and say 'Hey! You've got a new iDevice! Let's give it a name and put some stuff onto it!'. If it didn't do that then you might have to search for each device manually.

When I plug my iPad in (I use a physical cable to connect it most of the time, the Wi-fi sync can be patchy, I've found) it will make iTunes pop up and it will give me a page with various options arrayed at the top of the iTunes window - Summary, Info, Apps, Music, Movies etc etc. By clicking on each option I can see what of each category is going on.

The 'Summary' page has an image of the iPad (it knows that mine is a white 32gb wi-fi only, but it also recognises that Husband's is a black 16gb, and shows a different image). There's a bar at the bottom with different colours in it showing what of each type of media is taking up space and how much spare space I have.

With the music thing, when I click on the Music tab it has a tickbox at the top - 'sync music' and then under that 'entire library' or 'selected playlists'. This is likely where your issues with the music transfer have come up - if you can play the music from the burned CD's through your computer then you should be able to sync them to the iPod by putting them into a playlist and syncing that playlist.

Feel free to PM me if you have more detailed questions - but there is also the option of the iTunes Tutorials in the Help menu - when I first got my iPad I went through that one and found some features that I would have otherwise skipped over entirely.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Snooks

« Reply #7147 on: March 24, 2013, 08:05:50 AM »
I made a pie for the first time yesterday and I was wondering if it matters if I leave it in the baking tin or will that make the pastry go soggy?

Adelaide

« Reply #7148 on: March 24, 2013, 06:22:42 PM »
There's a guy I'm about to ask out and I found out on his LinkedIn that he speaks a language I'm trying to learn. If I bring it up, do you think there's a possibility that I only want to date and/or be friends with him to take advantage of his language skills? I always feel really awkward asking friends who speak said language to help me with it because I don't want to use them like a human dictionary.

mmswm

« Reply #7149 on: March 24, 2013, 06:31:08 PM »
Snooks, unless the pie is unusually moist, it should be fine in the baking pan.

Adelaide, I think if the topic came up in the course of normal conversation, or even if you brought it up in a "that's so cool" kind of way, and the conversation stayed light, then it would be okay.  For example:

You: I heard you speak <Language>.  That's awesome.  I've always wanted to learn to speak <Language>.
Him: Thanks!  <beandip>
You: <following the beandip conversation>

That's okay.

Or he could say:

Him: Thanks!  If you start taking classes, let me know, I can help you practice.
You:  Thanks!  I'll definitely keep your offer in mind when I start taking classes. <moving on to another "getting to know you" topic>

What wouldn't be okay is if you refused to respect the beandip or if the entire conversation of the date centered around the language.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Leafy

« Reply #7150 on: March 25, 2013, 05:56:31 AM »
Why do I turn the volume up to "hear" a conversation when I'm watching a foreign language TV show (The Killing) and reading the subtitles? I feel like I need to hear the actors properly but I can't understand them anyway.

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7151 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:20 AM »
Because intonation, volume, cadence and emphasis still come through, despite the language difference. Don't forget how much of communication is non-verbal!

magicdomino

« Reply #7152 on: March 25, 2013, 09:41:52 AM »

No iPad, but my iPods cooperate better with the PC if I plug them in first, and let them bring up iTunes.  If iTunes doesn't come up automatically, then your computer isn't acknowledging the device's existance.  Unfortunately, I can't remember how I finally got the computer to notice the iPod.

Slartibartfast

« Reply #7153 on: March 25, 2013, 09:46:07 AM »
Thanks for the iRecommendations - I got it working  :)  (Physically plugging in the iPad did the trick and brought up the whole "sync" button thing I was missing before - then I knew what to look for to get the iPod set up!)  Took a while to get all my high-school-era CDs into iTunes, but I have them now.

Then another hour or two later I realized high-school-aged me had terrible taste in music and I may or may not actually listen to most of these again  :o

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7154 on: March 25, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »
Thanks for the iRecommendations - I got it working  :)  (Physically plugging in the iPad did the trick and brought up the whole "sync" button thing I was missing before - then I knew what to look for to get the iPod set up!)  Took a while to get all my high-school-era CDs into iTunes, but I have them now.

Then another hour or two later I realized high-school-aged me had terrible taste in music and I may or may not actually listen to most of these again  :o
Isn't that always the way? I listened to an album I had absolutely driven my freshman roommate up a wall with a few years ago (and we're only talking 12-13 years separation between school and the time I listened to the thing) and nearly blushed myself to death, after the way I'd talked it up to my DD. It was AWFUL stuff!