Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 985981 times)

Snooks

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7170 on: March 24, 2013, 09:05:50 AM »
I made a pie for the first time yesterday and I was wondering if it matters if I leave it in the baking tin or will that make the pastry go soggy?

Adelaide

« Reply #7171 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:42 PM »
There's a guy I'm about to ask out and I found out on his LinkedIn that he speaks a language I'm trying to learn. If I bring it up, do you think there's a possibility that I only want to date and/or be friends with him to take advantage of his language skills? I always feel really awkward asking friends who speak said language to help me with it because I don't want to use them like a human dictionary.

mmswm

« Reply #7172 on: March 24, 2013, 07:31:08 PM »
Snooks, unless the pie is unusually moist, it should be fine in the baking pan.

Adelaide, I think if the topic came up in the course of normal conversation, or even if you brought it up in a "that's so cool" kind of way, and the conversation stayed light, then it would be okay.  For example:

You: I heard you speak <Language>.  That's awesome.  I've always wanted to learn to speak <Language>.
Him: Thanks!  <beandip>
You: <following the beandip conversation>

That's okay.

Or he could say:

Him: Thanks!  If you start taking classes, let me know, I can help you practice.
You:  Thanks!  I'll definitely keep your offer in mind when I start taking classes. <moving on to another "getting to know you" topic>

What wouldn't be okay is if you refused to respect the beandip or if the entire conversation of the date centered around the language.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Leafy

« Reply #7173 on: March 25, 2013, 06:56:31 AM »
Why do I turn the volume up to "hear" a conversation when I'm watching a foreign language TV show (The Killing) and reading the subtitles? I feel like I need to hear the actors properly but I can't understand them anyway.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7174 on: March 25, 2013, 07:07:20 AM »
Because intonation, volume, cadence and emphasis still come through, despite the language difference. Don't forget how much of communication is non-verbal!

magicdomino

« Reply #7175 on: March 25, 2013, 10:41:52 AM »
Okay, I'll admit I come late to the whole Apple product family, but this doesn't seem like it should be so hard . . .

I have a PC, an iPad, and a new-to-me iPod Nano.  Through iTunes on my PC, I burned a few actual physical CDs.  How do I get these to show up on my iPod and/or iPad?  They show up in iTunes just fine, but all the advice I've found online assumes transferring songs I've purchased through the Cloud (and these weren't purchased through iTunes) or assumes what I assume is an old version of iTunes and tells me to use the "sync" button (which mine doesn't have, even buried in a menu somewhere).  The songs I bought through iTunes show up just fine, but I can't even find an option to transfer over the others.

No iPad, but my iPods cooperate better with the PC if I plug them in first, and let them bring up iTunes.  If iTunes doesn't come up automatically, then your computer isn't acknowledging the device's existance.  Unfortunately, I can't remember how I finally got the computer to notice the iPod.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7176 on: March 25, 2013, 10:46:07 AM »
Thanks for the iRecommendations - I got it working  :)  (Physically plugging in the iPad did the trick and brought up the whole "sync" button thing I was missing before - then I knew what to look for to get the iPod set up!)  Took a while to get all my high-school-era CDs into iTunes, but I have them now.

Then another hour or two later I realized high-school-aged me had terrible taste in music and I may or may not actually listen to most of these again  :o

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7177 on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:21 AM »
Thanks for the iRecommendations - I got it working  :)  (Physically plugging in the iPad did the trick and brought up the whole "sync" button thing I was missing before - then I knew what to look for to get the iPod set up!)  Took a while to get all my high-school-era CDs into iTunes, but I have them now.

Then another hour or two later I realized high-school-aged me had terrible taste in music and I may or may not actually listen to most of these again  :o
Isn't that always the way? I listened to an album I had absolutely driven my freshman roommate up a wall with a few years ago (and we're only talking 12-13 years separation between school and the time I listened to the thing) and nearly blushed myself to death, after the way I'd talked it up to my DD. It was AWFUL stuff!

EmmaJ.

« Reply #7178 on: March 25, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »

Isn't that always the way? I listened to an album I had absolutely driven my freshman roommate up a wall with a few years ago (and we're only talking 12-13 years separation between school and the time I listened to the thing) and nearly blushed myself to death, after the way I'd talked it up to my DD. It was AWFUL stuff!

Ok, spill it  :) I must know which album!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7179 on: March 25, 2013, 12:33:05 PM »
that_one_girl wrote:

"2. Why does the ice from the ice-maker inside my freezer freeze all together in the catch-tray? Can this be prevented?  It is a pain in the butt and I have actually broken catch-trays trying to dislodge enough ice to put in my water bottle."

Agitate it on occasion and it'll stop being so blocky.  Also, if you find you don't use it up as fast as your freezer makes it, empty it on occasion to get rid of older ice.  Ice will sublime, which means it'll evaporate directly from solid state over time.  If you fill an ice tray and put it in your freezer for six months, the tray will be just about empty due to this.  Old ice will give up a lot of dissolved air this way and so it'll shrink, deform, glue itself together and start to taste funny if you let it sit.

"4. When I tell my husband to keep the door shut so the flies won’t get in in the summer, he responds with "flies come from fruit".  Is this accurate?  (I am talking about the bigger flies with the red eyes which I believe are called "Blowflies" and not the little ones which I think are called "Drosophila/Fruit flies"."

Flies come from other flies, not fruit.  Unless you buy your fruit with bugs or eggs already on board, flies won't spontaneously come into being from fruit.  I thought this one got put to bed a century ago.

"5. Similarly, I was chewed out by my FIL for having a stack of old cereal boxes and pizza boxes stacked in the corner of the kitchen waiting for hubby to take them to the recycling center. FIL says that cockroaches come from having cardboard boxes around.  Is this accurate?  I worked fast food for years. There were never roaches around either the inside storage areas (freezer/refrigerator/dry-storage) where the food was stored in cardboard boxes or the dumpster where we disposed of said boxes whenever they were empty."

Cockroaches come from other cockroaches, not cardboard.  That said, if you have conditions that draw cockroaches, they will take up residence in stacks of cardboard, so don't let it sit for too long and keep the food areas of your house clean so they don't show up to begin with.

"6. Why do I like to use a fork to put my dressing/dip on my salad/chips?  I've had more weird looks for dipping my fork in my dressing before stabbing my salad than for using chopsticks to eat said salad.   Am I just crazy?"

Not crazy, just unusual.

"7. Would it damage a child to encourage them to be ambidextrous?  Not trying to spark a flame war here, just wondering if I had children and encouraged them saying things like, "Ok, can you write that letter with your other hand too?" if it would scar them for life."

This would no more scar a child than telling them to practice piano, but if the child doesn't take to it then forcing said child to do something they hate to do isn't going to be very productive.  As long as the child shows an interest in ambidexterity, I can't see where encouraging it would be a problem.  The controversy sprung from the old practice of forcing left handed children to write with their right hand and the problems with writing that such a practice caused.  Getting a child to write with both hands, for example, doesn't interfere with normal writing.

"8. Is it possible to become ambidextrous as an adult?  Ever since I injured my hand in high school, I've wondered if it would be a waste of time for me to try to train myself to write with both hands."

Insofar as it's possible for an adult to train themselves to do anything with motor function, it's possible.  Of course, it's really up to you whether you feel it's worth the effort to learn to write with your other hand as opposed to other means of writing (like typing, for example).  It's not an easy task but not harder than learning a dexterity sport or learning to play an instrument.

As a side note to writing with both hands, it's very likely that you already can write with your off hand, with the proviso that it won't be writing like you're accustomed to.  To demonstrate, pick up a pen in each hand, and then write a normal sentence with your dominant hand, while writing the exact same sentence backwards with your off hand, working your hands toward or away from your body center at the same speed.  Many people will find that the sentence written with the off hand will very closely resemble the dominant sentence when viewed in a mirror.  Take note that you'll have to overcome that to learn to write normally with your off hand, and when you're done it's likely that your off hand handwriting will not match your dominant hand, to the point where you'll always have to sign your signature with your dominant hand or it won't match other samples.

Virg

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7180 on: March 25, 2013, 12:55:53 PM »

Ok, spill it  :) I must know which album!

You've never heard of it. Some local (to my hometown) Goth vampire rockers, called "Alucarda" - self produced (I remember something about a 'fountain of blood' being used as a prominent lyrical motif in a song that sounded like it'd been recorded while someone took a shower.....). My 18 year old self thought it was edgy and cool.... my 30+ self was mortified that I'd ever listened to such trash!

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #7181 on: March 25, 2013, 05:29:52 PM »
OK, this is a silly question, but what the hey...

If I have significant issues with dysgraphia with my dominant hand, am I likely to have the same issues with my non-dominant hand?

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #7182 on: March 25, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »
OK, and one I remembered from yesterday:

With Passover coming upon us, what do ultra-Orthodox practitioners do about their cars, given that ethanol is in all the gasoline?

Or am I over-thinking this?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7183 on: March 25, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »
Another computer question that I can't find answered online:

I have only 24 icons on my desktop, many of them being folders with up to 25 programs in them because I hate a messy desktop.

Does the number of icons slow down the booting up of the computer, so I does it help that I have folders?

I can consolidate even more if it will help.

I always close down the games and tabs I have open before I shut down for the night.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7184 on: March 25, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
Another computer question that I can't find answered online:

I have only 24 icons on my desktop, many of them being folders with up to 25 programs in them because I hate a messy desktop.

Does the number of icons slow down the booting up of the computer, so I does it help that I have folders?

I can consolidate even more if it will help.

I always close down the games and tabs I have open before I shut down for the night.

No.

What matters is the amount of information (total size of all your files) that are on your desktop. If you have 2gb worth of information on your desk top, not only will it slow down the start up but it will slow down the general operation of your computer.

If all of your "programs" on your desk top are really short-cuts to a program that is stored on your hard drive, you should be fine.