Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 971672 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7185 on: March 25, 2013, 05:55:32 PM »
Another computer question that I can't find answered online:

I have only 24 icons on my desktop, many of them being folders with up to 25 programs in them because I hate a messy desktop.

Does the number of icons slow down the booting up of the computer, so I does it help that I have folders?

I can consolidate even more if it will help.

I always close down the games and tabs I have open before I shut down for the night.

No.

What matters is the amount of information (total size of all your files) that are on your desktop. If you have 2gb worth of information on your desk top, not only will it slow down the start up but it will slow down the general operation of your computer.

If all of your "programs" on your desk top are really short-cuts to a program that is stored on your hard drive, you should be fine.

Except that the more that the GPU has to draw, the slower the graphics processor will run.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7186 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:56 PM »

I have only 24 icons on my desktop, many of them being folders with up to 25 programs in them because I hate a messy desktop.

Does the number of icons slow down the booting up of the computer, so I does it help that I have folders?

I always close down the games and tabs I have open before I shut down for the night.

No.

What matters is the amount of information (total size of all your files) that are on your desktop. If you have 2gb worth of information on your desk top, not only will it slow down the start up but it will slow down the general operation of your computer.

If all of your "programs" on your desk top are really short-cuts to a program that is stored on your hard drive, you should be fine.

Except that the more that the GPU has to draw, the slower the graphics processor will run.

You're talking about only during start-up, right? True, but the time to initially draw folder icons is minimal, hardly noticeable if you only have 24 desktop icons. If you have 100s of desktop icons I can see that you would be able to see a difference in start-up time.

Or am I way off base on my thinking?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7187 on: March 25, 2013, 06:26:32 PM »

No.

You're talking about only during start-up, right? True, but the time to initially draw folder icons is minimal, hardly noticeable if you only have 24 desktop icons. If you have 100s of desktop icons I can see that you would be able to see a difference in start-up time.

The GPU has to draw the screen (and everything on it) every single time the computer refreshes, and this generally occurs every 1/60th of a second for most computers.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7188 on: March 25, 2013, 07:06:01 PM »
OK, this is a silly question, but what the hey...

If I have significant issues with dysgraphia with my dominant hand, am I likely to have the same issues with my non-dominant hand?
Are you sure your dominant hand is your dominant hand? Until I was in 3rd grade I was amidexerious. I would write with my left hand till the middle of the paper and switch to my right hand. In 3rd grade my teacher, against my parents specific instructions, made me write with my left hand only. My parents thought it was natural - most of the amidexerous women in Mom's side favor their left a bit more.

According to the docs, had the teacher not forced the issue my dysgraphia issues would be much less.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #7189 on: March 25, 2013, 07:37:30 PM »

If I have significant issues with dysgraphia with my dominant hand, am I likely to have the same issues with my non-dominant hand?
Are you sure your dominant hand is your dominant hand?

As sure as I can be. Neither of my parents ever mentioned thinking I was anything other than a rightie, and everything I do that is -handed I do right-handed.

I just can't operate a pen/pencil/paintbrush in a way that looks like I'm older than about 5...

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7190 on: March 25, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »

No.

The GPU has to draw the screen (and everything on it) every single time the computer refreshes, and this generally occurs every 1/60th of a second for most computers.

Ah-ha! I do mean most are shortcuts neatly filed. I keep a calculator and my sticky notes on the desktop, so I guess those might be programs. The computer repair guy sort of yelled at me for having so many programs there, so I kind of panicked. He also was firm with me for having so many programs running and didn't think that the battery's running down and my cord dying at the same time was an excuse, even though I have been doing this for 4 years. Silly man.

The good news was that it was the cord that died, not my computer that got fried, so I don't need a new computer yet - at least until the jury is in on Windows 8 - I'm actually thinking about going Mac if it so hated, but those are so expensive. I got a sturdier cord because I put the whole thing away every night.

Thanks.

mmswm

« Reply #7191 on: March 25, 2013, 10:17:05 PM »

Are you sure your dominant hand is your dominant hand?

As sure as I can be. Neither of my parents ever mentioned thinking I was anything other than a rightie, and everything I do that is -handed I do right-handed.

I just can't operate a pen/pencil/paintbrush in a way that looks like I'm older than about 5...

It's still possible.  I write and eat right handed only because my K teacher forced me to.  I was naturally a leftie.  I still do most things left handed, with eating and writing being the major exception.  The few times my right hand has been injured I had very little problems switching to the left.  Even though my situation is known, I do remember that one of the ways my teacher forced the issue was by making me feel out-of-place and somehow ashamed that I wrote with a different hand than the rest of the class.  Is it possible that when you were really little, you saw your parents and everybody around you using one hand, so you used that hand in spite of the fact that the other one felt better?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7192 on: March 26, 2013, 12:22:45 AM »
Diane AKA Traska wrote:

"The GPU has to draw the screen (and everything on it) every single time the computer refreshes, and this generally occurs every 1/60th of a second for most computers."

The load on the GPU for drawing static images on the desktop is miniscule, and more importantly it takes exactly as much processor to draw a blank spot as it does to draw an icon because the GPU only cares about the image and pixels take the same compute power to display on refresh no matter what color they are.  It's the CPU that works a bit harder because it has to pull the icons off the drive and load them into memory so they're available for the GPU, and that also takes only a miniscule amount of processing power.  All told, it's virtually impossible to tax a computer by loading the screen with icons unless it's very old because you'd need thousands of icons to appreciably slow down the boot load time.

jpcher wrote:

"What matters is the amount of information (total size of all your files) that are on your desktop. If you have 2gb worth of information on your desk top, not only will it slow down the start up but it will slow down the general operation of your computer."

The amount of information on the desktop versus anywhere else on the drive won't make any difference at all, since the desktop is just another location in the filesystem.  There's no system out there, for example, that would load all of a program's data into memory just because it's located on the desktop, it'll just draw an icon to show that it's present in that location and will load it only if you open/run it.  The total number and size of the files on your hard drive will affect processing to the extent that filesystem reads/writes take time, but unless your drive is full or you have nearing millions of files performance won't be hit very hard. 

Luci45 wrote:

"Does the number of icons slow down the booting up of the computer, so I does it help that I have folders?"

Unless your computer is more than ten years old it won't make any difference at all.  Organize your icons to suit your use of the machine.

"Ah-ha! I do mean most are shortcuts neatly filed. I keep a calculator and my sticky notes on the desktop, so I guess those might be programs. The computer repair guy sort of yelled at me for having so many programs there, so I kind of panicked. He also was firm with me for having so many programs running and didn't think that the battery's running down and my cord dying at the same time was an excuse, even though I have been doing this for 4 years. Silly man."

The thing that will strongly affect performance is how many programs/files/etc you have open and running at once, which is what he was talking about, not the number of static icons on the desktop.  If you watch what you run and close programs that you don't need (for example, open the calculator when you need it and then close it when you don't, unless you're using it constantly), you'll see much better performance overall.  I'm not sure what the battery running down would have to do with performance, other than the obvious issue that the computer will power down if it runs the battery dry and it's not plugged in.  It's not like some kid's toy that will begin to run slower as the battery depletes, it'll run at full tilt until the battery can't deliver the juice any more and then it'll shut itself down to keep from running off the end of the charge and dropping dead.

Virg

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7193 on: March 26, 2013, 12:26:04 AM »
Gwywnnydd wrote:

"With Passover coming upon us, what do ultra-Orthodox practitioners do about their cars, given that ethanol is in all the gasoline?"

I don't get the question.  Why would ethanol in gasoline be an issue?  I presume that any issues with alcohol would be concerned with consuming it, not burning it for fuel.

Virg

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #7194 on: March 26, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »
OK, and one I remembered from yesterday:

With Passover coming upon us, what do ultra-Orthodox practitioners do about their cars, given that ethanol is in all the gasoline?

Or am I over-thinking this?

You mean because ethanol is a byproduct of grain fermentation? I wouldn't think it matters as long as the practitioners are not consuming it themselves (and if they are, they have more serious problems to worry about). Most cars are not particularly religious.  ;)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Carotte

« Reply #7195 on: March 26, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »
I saw a post (on pinterset I think) about the yellow projet for dog leash, explaining that dogs who have a yellow ribon/bow attached to their leach are those that need more 'space' and don't like to be petted by humans or approched by others dogs. Is this actually something that exist? (I don't have a dog, just curious), is it known? If you do it where did you learned about it?
I guess vet offices and pet stores would be a good place to inform people, it seems like such a nice and smart idea :)

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7196 on: March 26, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »
I saw a post (on pinterset I think) about the yellow projet for dog leash, explaining that dogs who have a yellow ribon/bow attached to their leach are those that need more 'space' and don't like to be petted by humans or approched by others dogs. Is this actually something that exist? (I don't have a dog, just curious), is it known? If you do it where did you learned about it?
I guess vet offices and pet stores would be a good place to inform people, it seems like such a nice and smart idea :)

It's a cool idea, but I don't think it will work. Not enough non-dog people will know. I think if your dog needs more "space" maybe make a vest for them or something.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

squeakers

« Reply #7197 on: March 26, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »

Reminds me of horses and trail riding. Red means stay back, they kick. Yellow is for stallions. White means "For Sale".  And Green means an inexperienced or green horse.  All but red could mean something else depending on the area you are at.

I wouldn't notice a ribbon on a leash other than to think it was an accessory.  But then again I don't get close enough to strange dogs for the ribbon to matter.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7198 on: March 26, 2013, 04:26:47 PM »

It's a cool idea, but I don't think it will work. Not enough non-dog people will know. I think if your dog needs more "space" maybe make a vest for them or something.

I think its a new idea that's being put out there. I had never heard of it, but I've seen a few posts on Facebook recently.
I think its a great idea and more people should post about it, and talk about it and start participating. (And of course those participating should remain patient with people who don't know what it means, a yellow ribbon won't absolve them if there is an issue.)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7199 on: March 26, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »

Reminds me of horses and trail riding. Red means stay back, they kick. Yellow is for stallions. White means "For Sale".  And Green means an inexperienced or green horse.  All but red could mean something else depending on the area you are at.

I wouldn't notice a ribbon on a leash other than to think it was an accessory.  But then again I don't get close enough to strange dogs for the ribbon to matter.

Where I rode, red on the tail meant they kick and red on the reins meant they bite!  I have never heard of the other ones.

I think this ribbon on the leash thing is a good idea but only if everyone, non-dog owners alike, knows about it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.