Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 842297 times)

Ereine

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7215 on: March 28, 2013, 02:08:46 AM »
Which grow more widely on the globe, grapes or strawberries? This may depend on history as well. I started thinking of the seemingly universal grape jelly vs my favorite strawberry or blackberry jam.

Apparently (according to Wikipedia) it's something like 68 million tons vs. 4.5 million tons in favor of grapes, though I think that grape jelly is a pretty small portion of that. I've never seen it, it's possible that some ethnic grocery store here in Finland sells it but it's not something you'll find in a regular supermarket. Strawberry is probably the most popular along with raspberry, then maybe lingonberry and bilberry with raspberry (so called queen jam, it's my favourite). We don't really have the tradition of jam on bread, jam is more for pancakes and cakes and porridge and things like that (with the exception of lingonberry jam which can be served with savoury foods, like blood pancakes).

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7216 on: March 28, 2013, 06:43:25 AM »
A lot of grape juice gets added to other juices to fill it out, as apparently grape is pretty adaptable.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7217 on: March 28, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »
Don’t forget wine! Strawberry wine does exist, but it’s barely a drop in the bucket compared to grape wines across the world.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7218 on: March 28, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »
New stupid question --

As everybody probably knows, DD#2 just returned from a trip to France. On the train trip from Paris to Nice she received a box lunch with assorted tid-bit appetizer type things. Included in the box was an empty little fluted tin (in it's own box.)

The tin (for lack of a better term, a very small pie-tin type of thing) is oblong, about 3 inches long, 1-1/2 inch wide, maybe 1/2 inch tall. On the box are the words "Le moule métal by room saveurs"

Oh, cool: I just looked that up and the box pictured at the bottom was her lunch box (different food items, though.)

http://www.roomsaveurs.fr/roomsaveurs/Marques/Flo/UniversMarque.aspx

But of course, the site is in French, and it doesn't show the tin.

What was this tin suppose to be used for?

Carotte

« Reply #7219 on: March 28, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »
New stupid question --

As everybody probably knows, DD#2 just returned from a trip to France. On the train trip from Paris to Nice she received a box lunch with assorted tid-bit appetizer type things. Included in the box was an empty little fluted tin (in it's own box.)

The tin (for lack of a better term, a very small pie-tin type of thing) is oblong, about 3 inches long, 1-1/2 inch wide, maybe 1/2 inch tall. On the box are the words "Le moule métal by room saveurs"

Oh, cool: I just looked that up and the box pictured at the bottom was her lunch box (different food items, though.)

looks like it's a promo gift, every month they have a baking tin, a magnet, ...

On a side note I looove those boxes. When my father had lunch reunions they had those kind of boxes and he brought back a few, they have magnets to keep the lids in place and are perfect size for A4 paper and bits.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7220 on: March 28, 2013, 07:25:19 PM »
New stupid question --

looks like it's a promo gift, every month they have a baking tin, a magnet, ...

On a side note I looove those boxes. When my father had lunch reunions they had those kind of boxes and he brought back a few, they have magnets to keep the lids in place and are perfect size for A4 paper and bits.

OH! Wow! Thank you! ;D

Yes, it seems to be the consistency of a baking tin. Perfect for a small tart type thing.

Of course, being a promo . . . now I want more small tins like these.

(admittedly being stupid, I thought it might be used for a place to rest your utensils while eating, or maybe pour a bit of water in it and use it as a finger bowl. Yeah, I had no clue. ::))

eta: doing a quick google, this is what her tin looks like, except it's oblong and doesn't have the removable bottom:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kitchen-Craft-Set-6-Individual-Tartlet-Baking-Tins-/130313734199#vi-content

I love this thread! ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:33:20 PM by jpcher »

Carotte

« Reply #7221 on: March 28, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »

eta: doing a quick google, this is what her tin looks like, except it's oblong and doesn't have the removable bottom:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kitchen-Craft-Set-6-Individual-Tartlet-Baking-Tins-/130313734199#vi-content

Lol, never knew baking tins were such a touchy item! from the ebay site:
"Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay."
I guess they don't ship to France, but still  :o

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7222 on: March 28, 2013, 08:15:45 PM »
^ Apparently not to the Continental US either, I got the same message.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7223 on: March 28, 2013, 08:19:58 PM »

"Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay."

Oh, my!

I spent some googling time trying to find a similar product to no avail. I did not read the fine print on the site that I posted.

Who would have thought that mini-tart-tins are restricted due to "limitations of existing technology" :o

This might be a topic for the brian-hurty thread. ::)

Thank you, Carotte, for your responses!

Carotte

« Reply #7224 on: March 28, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
And there I was, thinking we had ovens and pastry knowledge in Europe. Or you know, planes and ships to go from one continent to the other...

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7225 on: March 28, 2013, 08:35:01 PM »
Not blocked in Canada.

But they don't ship here, so it doesn't matter. How odd!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #7226 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »

Oh, my!

I spent some googling time trying to find a similar product to no avail. I did not read the fine print on the site that I posted.

Who would have thought that mini-tart-tins are restricted due to "limitations of existing technology" :o

This might be a topic for the brian-hurty thread. ::)

Thank you, Carotte, for your responses!

I think the "existing technology" they are referring to is their software that controls the listings you see, not anything related to the product or why it is restricted. I assume their software is supposed to automatically prevent restricted items from showing up as search results in places where the items are restricted. Because their software algorithms aren't perfect (i.e., the "existing technology" that controls the search results isn't advanced enough), it may accidentally prevent you from seeing an item that isn't restricted in your area.

E.g., if mini-tart tins are banned in France, but legal in Switzerland, then someone just inside the Swiss border might be unable to access the mini-tart-tin listing because the software thinks they're accessing the site from France. Or maybe transparent aluminum mini-tart tins have just been made legal in your area while all other mini-tart tins are banned, but the listing is still restricted because that exception hasn't been programmed into the software yet.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7228 on: March 28, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »
I got the link just fine. Expected delivery date is 4-8 business days, from the UK.

lollylegs

« Reply #7229 on: March 28, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »
This one is for comic book fans - why does everyone make fun of Aquaman?