Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 973064 times)

LazyDaisy

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7200 on: March 26, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »
plain ribbons probably won't work if enough people don't know what they mean, but coincidentally today on the cheeseburger sub site, Must Have Cool, they have a photo of color coded dog leashes with text; green = "friendly" orange = "no dogs" and red = "caution"

http://roflrazzi.cheezburger.com/stuff
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7201 on: March 27, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
Which grow more widely on the globe, grapes or strawberries? This may depend on history as well. I started thinking of the seemingly universal grape jelly vs my favorite strawberry or blackberry jam.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7202 on: March 27, 2013, 07:00:15 PM »
I always have a hard time choosing good sunglasses for my face, it doesn't help that I can't decide if I have a round face or oval.  I've been told it's round but I think it's more oval than round.  But I could be way off, too.  Thoughts, wise ehellions?

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7203 on: March 27, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »
Very clearly oval!

Open your picture on Paint and draw a vertical line down your nose and a horizontal line over your cheekbones. You will see that the vertical line is longer than the horizontal. If your face was round, they would be similar.

mmswm

« Reply #7204 on: March 27, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »
Definitely Oval.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7205 on: March 27, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »
Certainly oval, and lady_disdain has a great tip for visualizing it!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Bluenomi

« Reply #7206 on: March 27, 2013, 07:24:07 PM »
Which grow more widely on the globe, grapes or strawberries? This may depend on history as well. I started thinking of the seemingly universal grape jelly vs my favorite strawberry or blackberry jam.

I think the grape jelly/jam thing is regional since you rarely see it here in Oz. Strawberry is the most common.

But I suspect grapes are grown more since there are so many types and afterall, you need them to make wine. Mmm wine.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7207 on: March 27, 2013, 07:29:57 PM »
Thanks!  That's what I was thinking and wasn't quite sure where the 'round' was coming from.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7208 on: March 27, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »

I think the grape jelly/jam thing is regional since you rarely see it here in Oz. Strawberry is the most common.

But I suspect grapes are grown more since there are so many types and afterall, you need them to make wine. Mmm wine.
Went to a local winery today for one of their tastings.  MMM, CHOCOLATE wine!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7209 on: March 27, 2013, 07:37:39 PM »
Oh there's one wine I love, Chocovine that has a raspberry chocolate flavor. YUM!

Ereine

« Reply #7210 on: March 28, 2013, 02:08:46 AM »

Apparently (according to Wikipedia) it's something like 68 million tons vs. 4.5 million tons in favor of grapes, though I think that grape jelly is a pretty small portion of that. I've never seen it, it's possible that some ethnic grocery store here in Finland sells it but it's not something you'll find in a regular supermarket. Strawberry is probably the most popular along with raspberry, then maybe lingonberry and bilberry with raspberry (so called queen jam, it's my favourite). We don't really have the tradition of jam on bread, jam is more for pancakes and cakes and porridge and things like that (with the exception of lingonberry jam which can be served with savoury foods, like blood pancakes).

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7211 on: March 28, 2013, 06:43:25 AM »
A lot of grape juice gets added to other juices to fill it out, as apparently grape is pretty adaptable.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7212 on: March 28, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »
Don’t forget wine! Strawberry wine does exist, but it’s barely a drop in the bucket compared to grape wines across the world.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7213 on: March 28, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »
New stupid question --

As everybody probably knows, DD#2 just returned from a trip to France. On the train trip from Paris to Nice she received a box lunch with assorted tid-bit appetizer type things. Included in the box was an empty little fluted tin (in it's own box.)

The tin (for lack of a better term, a very small pie-tin type of thing) is oblong, about 3 inches long, 1-1/2 inch wide, maybe 1/2 inch tall. On the box are the words "Le moule métal by room saveurs"

Oh, cool: I just looked that up and the box pictured at the bottom was her lunch box (different food items, though.)

http://www.roomsaveurs.fr/roomsaveurs/Marques/Flo/UniversMarque.aspx

But of course, the site is in French, and it doesn't show the tin.

What was this tin suppose to be used for?

Carotte

« Reply #7214 on: March 28, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »
New stupid question --

As everybody probably knows, DD#2 just returned from a trip to France. On the train trip from Paris to Nice she received a box lunch with assorted tid-bit appetizer type things. Included in the box was an empty little fluted tin (in it's own box.)

The tin (for lack of a better term, a very small pie-tin type of thing) is oblong, about 3 inches long, 1-1/2 inch wide, maybe 1/2 inch tall. On the box are the words "Le moule métal by room saveurs"

Oh, cool: I just looked that up and the box pictured at the bottom was her lunch box (different food items, though.)

http://www.roomsaveurs.fr/roomsaveurs/Marques/Flo/UniversMarque.aspx

But of course, the site is in French, and it doesn't show the tin.

What was this tin suppose to be used for?

looks like it's a promo gift, every month they have a baking tin, a magnet, ...

On a side note I looove those boxes. When my father had lunch reunions they had those kind of boxes and he brought back a few, they have magnets to keep the lids in place and are perfect size for A4 paper and bits.