Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1084311 times)

Iris

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7230 on: March 28, 2013, 09:56:43 PM »
This one is for comic book fans - why does everyone make fun of Aquaman?

Because his power is so limited -- it only works in the water. I know he has powers of his own, but compared to someone like Superman or Wonder Woman, the guy who can talk to fish is kind of a dork. :)

Yeah, but Batman has absolutely no powers, just money.  Why don't they make fun of him?

Because everyone dreams of being the rich guy that can buy all the coolest toys? Heck, I have no particular ambitions for material wealth beyond comfort but I'd be Iron Man in a shot.

Also the Batman from the tv series of my youth was quite clever. And that's always cool.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7231 on: March 28, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »
This one is for comic book fans - why does everyone make fun of Aquaman?

Because his power is so limited -- it only works in the water. I know he has powers of his own, but compared to someone like Superman or Wonder Woman, the guy who can talk to fish is kind of a dork. :)

Yeah, but Batman has absolutely no powers, just money.  Why don't they make fun of him?

Batman's power is being the world's greatest detective. He's smart, he can fight, and he has all sorts of cool gadgets to get through any situation. Whenever the "Batman vs Superman" discussion comes up, I always vote for Batman because you know he just happens to have a lead-lined pouch on his belt with some Kryptonite in it. ;)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7232 on: March 28, 2013, 10:20:23 PM »
Iron Man's my favorite.  I think it's mostly the attitude, it cracks me up.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

minky

« Reply #7233 on: March 29, 2013, 07:42:34 AM »
New stupid question --

As everybody probably knows, DD#2 just returned from a trip to France. On the train trip from Paris to Nice she received a box lunch with assorted tid-bit appetizer type things. Included in the box was an empty little fluted tin (in it's own box.)

The tin (for lack of a better term, a very small pie-tin type of thing) is oblong, about 3 inches long, 1-1/2 inch wide, maybe 1/2 inch tall. On the box are the words "Le moule métal by room saveurs"

Oh, cool: I just looked that up and the box pictured at the bottom was her lunch box (different food items, though.)

http://www.roomsaveurs.fr/roomsaveurs/Marques/Flo/UniversMarque.aspx

But of course, the site is in French, and it doesn't show the tin.

What was this tin suppose to be used for?

I don't know if you noticed, but on the site that you linked, go to the very bottom right and click where it says "Petit Objets".  It shows all of their little giveaways.  If you click on the underlined name of the object, you get recipes and things.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:45:18 AM by minky »

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #7234 on: March 29, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »
Part of Batman's great appeal is that someone like him could plausibly exist.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7235 on: March 29, 2013, 11:30:33 AM »
Aquaman's troubles spawn from the 1970s cartoon Superfriends.  The line-up was as follows:

Superman:  Last Son of Krypton.  Strong, flies, see through things, invulnerable.
Batman:  World's Greatest Detective.  Smart, charming, skilled.
Robin:  The Boy Wonder.  Batman's sidekick, and you don't expect greatness from a sidekick; not crying in front of the villains is a victory.
Wonder Woman:  The Original Warrior Princess.  Strong, agile, beautiful, and had an invisible jet.
They were later joined by:
Green Lantern:  The Man Without Fear (no wait, that's Daredevil.)  Space-magic ring that lets him create anything he can imagine (which makes his usual usage of giant boxing gloves rather sad.)
Flash: The Fastest Man Alive.  Superspeed.  Running fast doesn't seem like much of a power, but he's versatile.
Hawkman: Guy Dressed Like A Bird.  Flight (via wings)
...and three Hanna-Barbera creations, all "Captain Diversity":
Black Vulcan:  Black guy with lightning powers
Apache Chief:  Native American guy with growth powers
Samurai:  Japanese guy with wind, fire, and invisibility powers
(There was also Marvin/Wendy/Superdog, and the Wonder Twins with Gleek.  And that is the last I shall mention them.)

Then there was Aquaman.  Aquaman wasn't thought through very much, so he was essentially a normal guy who could breathe underwater and talk to fish.  Had that been thought through, they would have realized three things:
1) Aquaman is undisputed lord and master of 75% of the planet.
2) Aqauman talks to things such as whales (not fish, but he can), sharks, giant squids, and dolphins (can you say espionage?)
3) Aquaman can survive the Marianas Trench.  That alone has to grant him enormous strength and durability.
Combine this, and he should have been curb-stomping villains, feeding them to sharks, and claiming diplomatic immunity when called on it!

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #7236 on: March 29, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »
^ Don't forget the Wonder Twins!

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7237 on: March 29, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
who could apparently only turn into an eagle and a bucket of water from what I can remember. I'm not sure how intimidating to super villains that was.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #7238 on: March 29, 2013, 01:50:32 PM »

I mentioned them in the "too pathetic to count" parenthetical aside.  :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7239 on: March 29, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »
New stupid question --

As everybody probably knows, DD#2 just returned from a trip to France. On the train trip from Paris to Nice she received a box lunch with assorted tid-bit appetizer type things. Included in the box was an empty little fluted tin (in it's own box.)

The tin (for lack of a better term, a very small pie-tin type of thing) is oblong, about 3 inches long, 1-1/2 inch wide, maybe 1/2 inch tall. On the box are the words "Le moule métal by room saveurs"

Oh, cool: I just looked that up and the box pictured at the bottom was her lunch box (different food items, though.)

http://www.roomsaveurs.fr/roomsaveurs/Marques/Flo/UniversMarque.aspx

But of course, the site is in French, and it doesn't show the tin.

What was this tin suppose to be used for?

I don't know if you noticed, but on the site that you linked, go to the very bottom right and click where it says "Petit Objets".  It shows all of their little giveaways.  If you click on the underlined name of the object, you get recipes and things.

No, I didn't notice . . . Thank you!

Now I just need to translate the recipe from French to English because that mini cake looks divine! ;D

Iris

« Reply #7240 on: March 29, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »

Wait.  Are you telling me that you DIDN'T spend your formative years pinching your mother's rings and using them to shout "Wonder twins...ACTIVATE!!"? How strange. Exactly what was it about being able to turn into a dragon failed to excite you?

DIsclaimer: I haven't looked at the wonder twins in ... many ... years. But my inner child says you're wrong wrong wrong.:)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7241 on: March 29, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »
What does "High" temperature on a crock pot equal degree-wise?

I'm making corned beef and cabbage tomorrow (yes, sigh, I know my holidays are off ::) LOL!) which I usually do in the crock pot (about 8 hours on high.) I'm making a double-batch, which I've done in my crock pot, but instead of cooking the potatoes and cabbage stove-top I thought about putting it all in together in my roaster oven.

But I have no clue as to what temperature I should set my roaster oven at.

mmswm

« Reply #7242 on: March 29, 2013, 06:33:10 PM »
My father (who's an amazing cook) says that the high setting on a slow cooker is about 300-350F, though if he's imagining the size of the corned beef correctly, he might set it at 325F.  He also says that he wouldn't add the potatoes and cabbage until nearer to the end of the cook time, since the corned beef should take far longer to cook and you'd likely wind up with cabbage-potato mush if you tried to do it all at once.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #7243 on: March 29, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »

Wait.  Are you telling me that you DIDN'T spend your formative years pinching your mother's rings and using them to shout "Wonder twins...ACTIVATE!!"? How strange. Exactly what was it about being able to turn into a dragon failed to excite you?

DIsclaimer: I haven't looked at the wonder twins in ... many ... years. But my inner child says you're wrong wrong wrong.:)

- They have to be in contact to use their powers
- They have to shout out what they're changing into
- One can change into any animal (think Changeling of the Teen Titans), the other can become... moisture.  Which is real useful if you're facing the Paper People of Proxima Prime, or the Sugar People of the Subterranean reaches, but becoming a bucket of water isn't awe-inspiring in and of itself.
- They're space-Donny and Marie

lollylegs

« Reply #7244 on: March 29, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
Aquaman's troubles spawn from the 1970s cartoon Superfriends.  The line-up was as follows:

Superman:  Last Son of Krypton.  Strong, flies, see through things, invulnerable.
Batman:  World's Greatest Detective.  Smart, charming, skilled.
Robin:  The Boy Wonder.  Batman's sidekick, and you don't expect greatness from a sidekick; not crying in front of the villains is a victory.
Wonder Woman:  The Original Warrior Princess.  Strong, agile, beautiful, and had an invisible jet.
They were later joined by:
Green Lantern:  The Man Without Fear (no wait, that's Daredevil.)  Space-magic ring that lets him create anything he can imagine (which makes his usual usage of giant boxing gloves rather sad.)
Flash: The Fastest Man Alive.  Superspeed.  Running fast doesn't seem like much of a power, but he's versatile.
Hawkman: Guy Dressed Like A Bird.  Flight (via wings)
...and three Hanna-Barbera creations, all "Captain Diversity":
Black Vulcan:  Black guy with lightning powers
Apache Chief:  Native American guy with growth powers
Samurai:  Japanese guy with wind, fire, and invisibility powers
(There was also Marvin/Wendy/Superdog, and the Wonder Twins with Gleek.  And that is the last I shall mention them.)

Then there was Aquaman.  Aquaman wasn't thought through very much, so he was essentially a normal guy who could breathe underwater and talk to fish.  Had that been thought through, they would have realized three things:
1) Aquaman is undisputed lord and master of 75% of the planet.
2) Aqauman talks to things such as whales (not fish, but he can), sharks, giant squids, and dolphins (can you say espionage?)
3) Aquaman can survive the Marianas Trench.  That alone has to grant him enormous strength and durability.
Combine this, and he should have been curb-stomping villains, feeding them to sharks, and claiming diplomatic immunity when called on it!

This was educational, entertaining, and just all-round awesome. Five stars!

Thanks for your responses, it all makes sense now.