Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1028297 times)

that_one_girl

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7245 on: March 29, 2013, 09:23:22 PM »

Now I just need to translate the recipe from French to English because that mini cake looks divine! ;D

I am pretty good at figuring out French stuff ... feel free to message me with the recipe if you want some help :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7246 on: March 30, 2013, 02:22:11 PM »
My father (who's an amazing cook) says that the high setting on a slow cooker is about 300-350F, though if he's imagining the size of the corned beef correctly, he might set it at 325F.  He also says that he wouldn't add the potatoes and cabbage until nearer to the end of the cook time, since the corned beef should take far longer to cook and you'd likely wind up with cabbage-potato mush if you tried to do it all at once.

Thank you. Although I decided to do it in the crock pot anyway (I didn't see this post until just now.)

But I'll keep that in mind for next time! ;D

p.s. I did know that about the potatoes and cabbage ;) -- thanks anyway!

MerryCat

« Reply #7247 on: March 30, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
Back with another stupid question   ;D

Can you use a cake pop maker to make crab cakes and/ or chicken meat balls? Or will you get burned outsides and raw insides.

Carotte

« Reply #7248 on: March 30, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »
If I end up doing it I'll ask in an hardware store but until then someone here might tell me it's actually not possible:

I'd like to get a coat hook for my SO's place, he doesn't have one but could likely use one, just doesn't know it  ;).
Since he's into climbing I thought about getting a climbing hold (shaped a bit like a hook) but was wondering if there's any way to put it on the wall without making a hole, so like, 'gluing' it (I can't find the US equivalent of the product I have in mind, a glue that holds up to 100kg/cm²  (very roughly 220pounds/ 1/2 inch²) so the strength of it shouldn't be a problem).

But clearly, if I can't make a hole I don't want to leave a nasty trace or anything on the wall, so, does it come of?  The website doesn't say anything about it, so if I make it a surprise* and he hates it he'll likely be quite unhappy if it ruins the wall (that would be a kind of painted wall(not)paper).

*When it will be our place, not just his, and by asking/telling him before, the using a climbing hold will be the surprise.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7249 on: March 30, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »
3M makes a tape just for that purpose. Do they sell 3M products where you live?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Redsoil

« Reply #7250 on: March 31, 2013, 02:10:59 AM »
It's a boring Easter Sunday, so have been sporadically watching "Pimp my Ride" on TV (as I've used my internet allocation from Telstra for the month after some heavy downloading and have been slowed to 64 kbps).

So.........  my stupid question is:  do you have annual vehicle inspections in order for vehicles to be registered in the US?  It seems these "beaters" are in such bad repair that they'd never pass for rego here at all!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7251 on: March 31, 2013, 02:23:06 AM »
It's a boring Easter Sunday, so have been sporadically watching "Pimp my Ride" on TV (as I've used my internet allocation from Telstra for the month after some heavy downloading and have been slowed to 64 kbps).

So.........  my stupid question is:  do you have annual vehicle inspections in order for vehicles to be registered in the US?  It seems these "beaters" are in such bad repair that they'd never pass for rego here at all!

California requires an emissions test, I believe, but I don't think any other states do.  When you first get your license you must show that you have access to a car to learn in (doesn't necessarily have to belong to you or your family) which has some basic safety stuff - seats, seat belts, mirrors, lights, etc.  Something any road-worthy car should have.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7252 on: March 31, 2013, 02:25:47 AM »

California requires an emissions test, I believe, but I don't think any other states do.  When you first get your license you must show that you have access to a car to learn in (doesn't necessarily have to belong to you or your family) which has some basic safety stuff - seats, seat belts, mirrors, lights, etc.  Something any road-worthy car should have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection_in_the_United_States

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7253 on: March 31, 2013, 03:42:59 AM »
Some states do, some don't. In some of the states that dont, you can be pulled over if your car is presenting an obvious safety hazard (like a broken windshield or some such.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Redsoil

« Reply #7254 on: March 31, 2013, 04:56:19 AM »
Thank you ladies - much appreciated!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7255 on: March 31, 2013, 09:33:06 AM »
In Illinois, it is a county thing. In Aurora, 40 miles from Chicago, we did.

Out here in the sticks, no.

Carotte

« Reply #7256 on: March 31, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »
3M makes a tape just for that purpose. Do they sell 3M products where you live?

They probably have it yes, thanks, didn't think about those, they might be better, a coat or two don't weight that much :)
But since the only place I found who had holds that could be used and not too expensives (or in pack of 50) have a minimum of 100€ order it might just never happen...

demarco

« Reply #7257 on: March 31, 2013, 10:42:23 AM »
Is there a difference  between four wheel drive and all wheel drive?  Does it have any impact on how a car/truck maneuvers through snow or mud or how easy it is to get out of a ditch? 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7258 on: March 31, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »

I'm pretty sure every state has some type of annual inspection/registration.  I know that in Texas there are some environmental exemptions for antique cars/tractors. Don't know the details - just heard my uncle who rebuilt antique tractors mention it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7259 on: March 31, 2013, 11:43:25 AM »
I would be very surprised if US states that require vehicle insurance didn't also require vehicle inspection.  I know that NYS does.  All over you see filling stations and garages with signs that they're an official inspection station.