News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 10:13:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2496093 times)

Piratelvr1121

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7245 on: March 31, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »
I always thought I had just plain brown eyes but I was told they were hazel.  Which confused me at the time cause I heard hazel used to mean either a light brown iris or just any eye that had more than one color in it.  But to me they just looked brown.

Once during a sleepover in hs, someone said "You have gold eyes!"   Then a couple years ago my bff says "You have emerald eyes!"  When I look at them in the mirror, they are mostly green with flecks of light brown near the pupil
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

demarco

« Reply #7246 on: March 31, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »
My eyes are brown but when I have been crying, they look green, almost bright green, to me in the mirror.  I have never verified this with anyone else so I don't know if they really turn green or if tears do something to my vision, making it appear to me that they are green. 

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7247 on: March 31, 2013, 10:17:06 PM »
My eyes are brown but when I have been crying, they look green, almost bright green, to me in the mirror.  I have never verified this with anyone else so I don't know if they really turn green or if tears do something to my vision, making it appear to me that they are green.

The redness that crying causes probably brings out the green, since red and green are complementary colors.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7248 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33:30 PM »

The redness that crying causes probably brings out the green, since red and green are complementary colors.

Yup - my eyes never look quite as good as when I break down and cry. Pink eye shadow is also very effective for eye colour but it tends to make the lids seem puffy. Someday, I will find a solution!

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7249 on: April 01, 2013, 12:01:13 AM »

Yup - my eyes never look quite as good as when I break down and cry. Pink eye shadow is also very effective for eye colour but it tends to make the lids seem puffy. Someday, I will find a solution!

Purple eyeliner with more red than blue tones works pretty well for me. I have to be careful with it--just a little bit or I look like I'm going clubbing--, but it subtly brings out the green. Not as effectively as a good cry, but that's not really practical.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #7250 on: April 01, 2013, 06:45:34 AM »
Is today a public holiday in the US/Canada or Australia?

guihong

« Reply #7251 on: April 01, 2013, 07:04:49 AM »

Easter is not a federal holiday, as it is primarily religious.  It's up to each state whether to have Friday or Easter Monday off, and often up to each school district and company.  The only "religious" federal holiday is Christmas Day, but that has become very secular and so skirts the issue.

KenveeB

« Reply #7252 on: April 01, 2013, 07:18:51 AM »

Easter is not a federal holiday, as it is primarily religious.  It's up to each state whether to have Friday or Easter Monday off, and often up to each school district and company.  The only "religious" federal holiday is Christmas Day, but that has become very secular and so skirts the issue.

I'm in Texas and work for county government, and we got Good Friday off. Not many places tend to have that off, though, that I've seen.

Redsoil

« Reply #7253 on: April 01, 2013, 08:03:23 AM »
Technically, today (Monday) was a public holiday for Easter Monday, though a number of shops were open.  However, it's just become Tuesday (12.01am here), so Tuesday is back-to-work/school day for most.  Due to an extended break, I actually have Tuesday off this week.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:22:25 AM by Redsoil »
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

CakeBeret

« Reply #7254 on: April 01, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »
My husband's company doesn't recognize Easter as a holiday so he worked his usual shift.

A new questions for this thread:

I got new stainless steel cookware that has a copper and aluminum core. Reading the manual, it said that, in rare cases, if a pan is allowed to boil dry, the copper might melt. Why would that happen in a boiling-dry situation if it wouldn't happen in any other situation? In other words, what about boiling dry would cause the pan to become much hotter than it would in any other situation?
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7255 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »
I got new stainless steel cookware that has a copper and aluminum core. Reading the manual, it said that, in rare cases, if a pan is allowed to boil dry, the copper might melt. Why would that happen in a boiling-dry situation if it wouldn't happen in any other situation? In other words, what about boiling dry would cause the pan to become much hotter than it would in any other situation?

When water (or any liquid) boils, it stays at that temperature until it's done boiling. Once it's dry, it'll go to the temperature of the heat source.

So it you put a pan of water on a 400F burner, it'll stay at 212F until that water boils off. Then the pan will suddenly shoot up to 400F, and the core will melt.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Twik

« Reply #7256 on: April 01, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
Not quite true. As the concentration of a dilute solute increases, the boiling point will raise, just as the freezing point will decrease. Here's the wikipedia article, if you like talking about stuff like "colligative properties", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling-point_elevation.

So, the boiling point would slowly rise from 212 F as the sugar increased in concentration and the water boiled off. However, the gist of the answer is correct - the person cooking will believe that the boiling water is keeping the pan at below melting point, but when the water boils away the temperature will shoot up. Copper has a much lower melting point than, say, stainless steel, and might reach that temperature with the heat provided from a normal stove burner if not watched properly.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:50:19 AM by Twik »
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Luci

« Reply #7257 on: April 01, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
We did an experiment in physics of boiling water in a paper cup over a Bunsen burner.

Virg

« Reply #7258 on: April 01, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »
As to the color of eyes changing, it's not unheard of for eye color to change, and sometimes it can happen more than once in a person's lifetime.  Also, exposure to some chemicals can change the color of your eyes.  For example, the prescription drug Latisse reports a permanent change in eye color as a possible side effect.

Virg

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7259 on: April 01, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »
My eye color has changed over the last 15 years as well.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien