Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1119297 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7290 on: April 01, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »
We never got the Monday after Easter off. I've never heard of this.

We use to get Good Friday off, but since it's considered a religious holiday that stopped quite a while ago.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7291 on: April 01, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »
Do you order new checks right after you move, or do you just keep using the old ones until you run out and have to reorder? Do the banks require you to reorder immediately to have the new address on them?

I have a whole box, and just finished the first book after two years… I really don’t want to have to pay for new ones, but at that rate of use I may very well pay off the new(ish) house first!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7292 on: April 01, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »
I always kept using the old ones.  Line through the old address and write in the new one.  The bank doesn't care what's on your checks, only what address they need to have for statements and bills and such.

And if you use online check places, they're a LOT cheaper than buying checks from your bank.  Never had any problem, and I've used several different vendors. Google "ordering checks online."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #7293 on: April 02, 2013, 04:48:11 AM »
Kiwi here.  Good Friday was  a public holiday as was Easter Monday.. On both friday and sunday no shops garden centres etc were open, and to eat out over the emtire weekend there is often a surcharge.  Today, Tuesday, is a school holiday so many people have taken today off as well. 

DaisyG

« Reply #7294 on: April 02, 2013, 07:27:29 AM »
And if you use online check places, they're a LOT cheaper than buying checks from your bank.  Never had any problem, and I've used several different vendors. Google "ordering checks online."

I guess this is a difference between the USA and the UK but why do you buy checks from the bank? My bank sends me a book of blank cheques (if I need it) for nothing and then money is taken from my account when someone else presents the cheque to their bank. Is this different in the US? (Although it's quite a while since I've used a cheque).

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7295 on: April 02, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »

I guess this is a difference between the USA and the UK but why do you buy checks from the bank? My bank sends me a book of blank cheques (if I need it) for nothing and then money is taken from my account when someone else presents the cheque to their bank. Is this different in the US? (Although it's quite a while since I've used a cheque).

It's the same, you're just forgetting the step where your bank has to verify that check really is from your account before they give the other bank money.

I will caution, however, that some stores will not take checks where the address on the check is a) handwritten or b) doesn't match the address on the person's ID.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7296 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »
MM, then why do people talk about buying blank checks? I am confused.

I dislike the idea of using checks that did not come from my bank. That must make it harder to check that it is an authentic check, with their safety features.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7297 on: April 02, 2013, 09:24:22 AM »
We get our checks free with our account, but they are not fancy or cute, and we get no interest on the money in the account as some checking accounts do. Since interest is so low for the past few years, it is cost effective to do it this way.

In the 1950s, my parents had to pay 10¢ a check for each one they wrote. Until 10 years ago, I bought the blank checks but didn't have to pay for using them. Now, it is as above.

We have a Money Market account that pays interest, I think all of 1.5 % now, and I can write up to 3 checks a month on it, but we rarely do that. The first 50 were free, so I don't know if we have to pay for those.

(All of this is in Illinois.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7298 on: April 02, 2013, 09:37:21 AM »
We buy checks from our bank and they don't cost much at all.  We write about four checks a month so a box of 500 lasts us a long, long time.  The last time we bought checks the big box cost about 10 USD.  Also, a fee isn't charged for individual checks. 

Carotte

« Reply #7299 on: April 02, 2013, 09:57:12 AM »

I dislike the idea of using checks that did not come from my bank. That must make it harder to check that it is an authentic check, with their safety features.

I don't know about other countries but the fact that here you can write a check on any piece of paper, provided there's all the right info on it, makes me think the only safety features are "having the right numbers" and your signature.
Sure a check from your bank will go faster and smoothly.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7300 on: April 02, 2013, 09:59:11 AM »
Actually, this discussion of buying vs. banks giving us checks makes my original question even more stupid, because the bank gave us that box for free, and I’m pretty sure I can order another for free any time! Now, my other bank does make me pay for checks (which I think is what made my brain wonder about buying new checks, even though I don‘t have any checks for that account), but they’re actually not nearly as bad as some—almost on par with the online/mail order places, which I have purchased from many years ago before I started paying for everything online.

To answer the questions about why we’d buy:

In the US, not all banks provide free checks. In fact, I’d dare say that most require you to purchase them, or will give you your first book free, then require that you purchase them. To purchase them, you can go through the bank: they will deduct the cost from your account and mail you however many you order; or, you can purchase them from a third party check-seller that usually has all sorts of designs and styles to choose from, often for far cheaper than the bank’s plain ones.

CakeBeret

« Reply #7301 on: April 02, 2013, 10:12:30 AM »
Some banks offer free checks as an account perk, others do not. If they are not free, you have to buy them from your bank online. They come in boxes of (I think) 5 books, and each book has 30 checks in it. Some places make you buy an entire box, some places will let you buy just one or two books. One book lasts me for years, since my bank has a free billpayment service that will create and mail a physical check for me if necessary.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7302 on: April 02, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »

I don't know about other countries but the fact that here you can write a check on any piece of paper, provided there's all the right info on it, makes me think the only safety features are "having the right numbers" and your signature.

Wow! Really? Isn't that amazingly insecure? Anyone with the right numbers could forge a check from you. But that does explain why Americans are so careful with bank account numbers.

Here, checks are issued by the bank and have several safety features to make forgery harder (holographic print in a corner, safety number with check digits, moire patterns, etc).

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7303 on: April 02, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »
You can select checks with more advanced safety features, but I only write checks at the grocery store (processed directly in front of me) or to an organization I am involved in (sometimes can not accept debit or credit). I ordered mine online from an independent source, and saved nearly 75% over what my bank charges.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #7304 on: April 02, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »

Wow! Really? Isn't that amazingly insecure? Anyone with the right numbers could forge a check from you. But that does explain why Americans are so careful with bank account numbers.

It's actually a common stunt for someone to write a check on a shirt and mail that to the IRS.  (Google is my friend).  Some guy actually whitewashed a check onto the side of a cow once, to pay his taxes. 
Funny stories. 

I get free checks through my bank, but so far I write *maybe* one check a year, if that many.  All of my bills are paid through my checking account.   I love the Internet!