Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1122138 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7335 on: April 03, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
Soak in hot, soapy water, scrub with a brush, spray with bleach.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

mmswm

« Reply #7336 on: April 03, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »
This might sound weird, but do you have one of those old "water pix" teeth flossing things? I'm not even sure if they still make them, but basically they're tiny pressure washers designed to use high-powered, pressured water instead of dental floss.  We use one in this house not for dental care, but to clean kitchen utensils such as the one described.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7337 on: April 03, 2013, 07:39:23 PM »
How do I get my dehydrator trays clean? I have soaked them in hot soapy water and scrubbed at them with a brush, but I cannot totally get them clean. Granted, if I went at every single little square with a toothpick or some such, I could probably do it, but that would metaphorically take forever. Is there a simpler way?

(I have the grated, circular kind.)

Eh, maybe I'm gross, but I'm of the mindset, if it won't come off with soap and water, it won't come off on my food, and so I don't worry about things like that too much. All the germs are probably dried out of the bits anyway.

That's what I've been doing and my mindset, too; I just wanted to know if maybe I wasn't doing enough, ya know?

Ms_Cellany, other than spraying with bleach, that's what I've been doing and all of the stuff still won't come off.  Does the bleach loosen it or something or are you just suggesting that as a sanitizing measure?

mmswm, unfortunately not, though now I'm going to see if I can find one for relatively cheap.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7338 on: April 03, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »
Stupid question for contact wearers! These suckers feel weird and stuff keeps going out of focus. I have acuvue 2's and they are (i guess) soft plastic. Is this normal or what?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7339 on: April 03, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »
What kind of cleaner are you using?  I have that happen when I try to use an all in one cleaner.  I use Clear Care or Aosept which uses peroxide to sterilize the lenses.  There is a little disk in the case that is a catalyst to convert the peroxide to water and oxygen.

My boss kept getting eye infections.  I put him on to Clear Care and he's never had another one.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7340 on: April 03, 2013, 08:38:45 PM »
What kind of cleaner are you using?  I have that happen when I try to use an all in one cleaner.  I use Clear Care or Aosept which uses peroxide to sterilize the lenses.  There is a little disk in the case that is a catalyst to convert the peroxide to water and oxygen.

My boss kept getting eye infections.  I put him on to Clear Care and he's never had another one.

Optifree pure moist. I am just wondering if maybe its because i'm not getting enough air to my eyes or something >.<

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7341 on: April 03, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
I react to an ingredient in Optifree so maybe try giving a stronger cleaner a try?  Because it goes right in your eye, the all in one solutions can't contain very much disinfectant.  The reaction is more likely due to build up on the lenses because of proteins in your tears than you not getting enough oxygen to your eyes.  As long as you aren't wearing them 24/7.  I wear mine for 12 to 16 hours a day with few issues.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #7342 on: April 03, 2013, 08:57:40 PM »
Stupid question for contact wearers! These suckers feel weird and stuff keeps going out of focus. I have acuvue 2's and they are (i guess) soft plastic. Is this normal or what?

Usually not, but sometimes yes.  :P  If they're actually painful or you feel like there's some kind of foreign particle trapped in your eye, take them out ASAP!

Otherwise:
How long have you been wearing these contacts? Are they brand-new ones you just got or have you been wearing them a few weeks? Do they feel "weird" as soon as you put them in or only after you've been wearing them a while?

Mine are intended for about a month of wear before being thrown out, and they can start feeling subtly "off" when they're near the end of their life. Also, they often start feeling a little "gunky" towards the end of the day, especially if I've been wearing them for longer than normal or if I'm sleepy. I think their fit and/or their ability to slide on the eye tends to suffer when they get old, "gunky," or just dried out, which makes them less comfortable and could get them out of position to function properly.

Have you tried rewetting eyedrops for contacts? They're usually stocked near the contact solution in small bottle (~1/2 oz). I carry a bottle of rewetting drops in my pocket whenever I wear my contacts, and it usually fixes the problem when my contacts are feeling a little off. And if it doesn't fix it and I have to take the contacts out and reinsert them, then it gives me something safe to rinse them with.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7343 on: April 03, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »
I was finding that my contacts were bugging me when I put in a fresh pair.  A fellow e-hellion suggested taking the contacts out of the packaging and cleaning them before putting them in my eyes.  It worked.

I wear AirOptix.  You are only supposed to wear them for one month; I can get away with two because I normally wear my glasses for one or two days a week to give my eyes a break.
Ontario

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7344 on: April 03, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
Brand new. I am a brand new contact wearer. I do have astigmatism but the doctor said it wasn't bad enough for the special lenses... and i am really hating these plastic things cause I can feel them. I think i might have to go with the silicone based ones. they feel... not weird per se they just move around and things go in and out of focus, like when my eyes cross. Mine are 2 week wear, and that's fine... I just need to find ones that fit properly I guess.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7345 on: April 03, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »
Brand new. I am a brand new contact wearer. I do have astigmatism but the doctor said it wasn't bad enough for the special lenses... and i am really hating these plastic things cause I can feel them. I think i might have to go with the silicone based ones. they feel... not weird per se they just move around and things go in and out of focus, like when my eyes cross. Mine are 2 week wear, and that's fine... I just need to find ones that fit properly I guess.
I'm wondering if you aren't getting enough moisture in your eyes.

When they start to feel odd and going out of focus, squeeze your eye lids really tight to generate some moisture and see if that improves. 

Also, there's no harm in going back to your optometrist and requesting a different brand. The brand I had been using was discontinued so I had to switch a year ago. We went through 3 different brands/models before I found one that was as comfortable to me as my previous ones.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7346 on: April 03, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
I am also wondering if maybe these aren't the right prescription. like i have trouble reading things with these in but with my glasses (which are weaker) i can read stuff fine. Maybe I just need to get used to the prescription? Oi. I have no idea.... >.< thanks for your help everyone!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7347 on: April 03, 2013, 10:10:04 PM »
I am also wondering if maybe these aren't the right prescription. like i have trouble reading things with these in but with my glasses (which are weaker) i can read stuff fine. Maybe I just need to get used to the prescription? Oi. I have no idea.... >.< thanks for your help everyone!

It could be that the base curve is too large and floating up/down/sideways.  Are you wearing the 8.7 or 8.3 (this isn't the Rx it just denotes the steepness of the lens)?  I personally found the Acuvue Oasis a much more comfortable lens than The A2.  I second the all in one cleaner being a possible problem.  I like using Clear Care, a peroxide cleaner, as it seems to get weird protein deposits off better.

I forgot to add, you could have them in the wrong eye or inside out.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7348 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:55 PM »
I miss being able to wear contacts. After having DS, my autoimmune response is too much to cope with them, or ear piercings, medical treatments, insect bites, etc.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7349 on: April 03, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »

That's not uncommon if you have astigmatism and are really nearsighted - I have the same issue.  Although technically I can see okay with contacts in, things don't look quite *right* and when I really start paying attention I notice subtle things I can't make out with my contacts in that I can with glasses (small lettering way in the distance and such).  Part of it is because you naturally squint a bit when you're trying hard to make something out, and squinting affects your vision differently when you're wearing contacts than when you're wearing glasses.  Part is because everything is a different size - glasses with a strong prescription make them appear smaller than they seem if you're wearing contacts.

All in all, it's part of the reason I only wear my contacts a few times a year  :-\  (The other part is that I'm lazy enough to want to sleep in an extra 30 seconds in the morning . . .)