Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1024880 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7350 on: April 03, 2013, 11:00:49 PM »
I have Biofinity lenses. One is for astigmatism, the other is regular. I really like them. It took at least a couple of weeks for my eyes to get used to them, though. For a long time they felt like they were always drying out, and the toric lens was especially uncomfortable (probably because it was larger). I tried rewetting drops, but they would help momentarily and then go right back to feeling dry. I think my eyes just needed to get used to them. If they're really bugging you, though, try a different brand.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #7351 on: April 03, 2013, 11:07:49 PM »
Brand new. I am a brand new contact wearer. I do have astigmatism but the doctor said it wasn't bad enough for the special lenses... and i am really hating these plastic things cause I can feel them. I think i might have to go with the silicone based ones. they feel... not weird per se they just move around and things go in and out of focus, like when my eyes cross. Mine are 2 week wear, and that's fine... I just need to find ones that fit properly I guess.

I am also wondering if maybe these aren't the right prescription. like i have trouble reading things with these in but with my glasses (which are weaker) i can read stuff fine. Maybe I just need to get used to the prescription? Oi. I have no idea.... >.< thanks for your help everyone!

I would suggest contacting the eye doctor about having the fit and prescription rechecked. FWIW, when I switched to my current eye doctor, he required a follow-up visit after ~1 week wearing the sample lenses he gave me, so he could recheck the fit of the contacts before he wrote out the final prescription. This was even though I'd been wearing contacts for years. I also ended up going back once because the sample lenses just weren't working well for me (actually, I think the symptoms were similar to yours). He concluded that the prescription strength and fit were correct, but switched the prescription to a different brand of contact (one I'd used previously), which worked just fine.

As I understand it, they can't always get the perfect fit or prescription the first time. E.g., my previous contacts that I wore to the appointment could have influenced the shape of the eye compared to what it would be if I hadn't worn contacts. Or eyestrain, etc., could cause issues getting the right prescription. But I would expect an eye doctor to do a follow-up to catch and correct any of those errors if you're having trouble (otherwise I'd start looking for a new doctor). The prescription is supposed adjust to match your eyes, not your eyes to match the prescription!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7352 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:56 AM »
Dazi I have no idea about steepness. they were right side in, I checked multiple times. I think when I go back I am gonna tell the doctor I need the oasys for astigmatism, because her suggestion that I didn't need them and that my astigmatism isn't that bad for them just felt I dunno... wrong? And yeah, someone mentioned eye strain. It did cause eye strain, when I wore them tonight because i was at the computer writing and well... now I feel like I've read harry potter and the goblet of fire straight through ( I strained my eyes then too!)

Iris

« Reply #7353 on: April 04, 2013, 01:57:05 AM »
Dazi I have no idea about steepness. they were right side in, I checked multiple times. I think when I go back I am gonna tell the doctor I need the oasys for astigmatism, because her suggestion that I didn't need them and that my astigmatism isn't that bad for them just felt I dunno... wrong? And yeah, someone mentioned eye strain. It did cause eye strain, when I wore them tonight because i was at the computer writing and well... now I feel like I've read harry potter and the goblet of fire straight through ( I strained my eyes then too!)

Could just be the brand of lenses, not your astigmatism. I wear the Acuvue 2s and I love them - other lenses feel horrible to me. So the brand of contacts is very personal and the chances of getting things right first time are low. The eye strain however would suggest that your prescription isn't right.

There's also one other thing - I flat out see better with contacts than glasses (I'm not imagining it there is a reason for it). It's possible that you work the reverse way.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #7354 on: April 04, 2013, 04:24:53 AM »
Back with another stupid question   ;D

Can you use a cake pop maker to make crab cakes and/ or chicken meat balls? Or will you get burned outsides and raw insides.

It's a perfectly sensible question. I was given a cupcake maker and posted a thread about it here. I made cupcakes, found they were strangely airy yet dry, and turned to trying to cook other things in them. I could just about manage pastry, but it wasn't really useful for anything else. The problem you might have with the two meaty examples is that because you have a denser mixture than cake mix it takes longer for the heat to penetrate to the centre and also longer to cook once it does get there. Cake mix cooks quite fast (see microwaving cake batter) but the risk with anything else is that it will be overcooked on the outside and undercooked on the inside. The fat also has to go somewhere, and might be a bit messy if your meat has lots. Try it, I'd be interested to see what you conclude and there is definitely a dearth of such web pages on the Net. You will be adding to the knowledge of the world!

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #7355 on: April 04, 2013, 07:57:44 AM »
I have a question for the group.   At long last, I finally got my hands on one of those mini-bundt-cake pans, the ones that make the fancy little bundts, 6 to a pan?   Yeah, from Freecycle!  I'm all excited. I've always wanted one.

So I made cakes in it, and now I know why she wanted to get rid of the thing. How do you clean them??   Everythign was well-greased and came out beautifully, but it left 'cake fur' behind, and that's miserable to clean out!  I had to go in there with my hand and physically dig into every crevasse, and I am NOT doing that every time.  There has to be a better way.

Suggestions?  Please?   

Anniissa

« Reply #7356 on: April 04, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »
Brand new. I am a brand new contact wearer. I do have astigmatism but the doctor said it wasn't bad enough for the special lenses... and i am really hating these plastic things cause I can feel them. I think i might have to go with the silicone based ones. they feel... not weird per se they just move around and things go in and out of focus, like when my eyes cross. Mine are 2 week wear, and that's fine... I just need to find ones that fit properly I guess.

When you say brand new do you mean you literally have started wearing lenses for the first time in the last few days? If so, you might find they'll settle down in a day or two. I found that the first time I wore them and, particularly, the first time I switched to soft lenses that I really noticed that every time I blinked they shifted ever so slightly and noticed them moving around and briefly losing focus. Which is just the lens moving a little when you blink.  I was told this was very common and after a day or two your eyes get used to this which I did find. I had to build up my wear time initially - 2 hours the first day then 3, 4, 6 etc until by the end of the week I was wearing them for the full day. After a few days full wear I had to go back to have a check that they were fitting correctly which they were but I'd already lost the feeling that they were shifting around by that point anyway.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7357 on: April 04, 2013, 10:15:13 AM »
Bleach is just to sanitize.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #7358 on: April 04, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »
I have a question for the group.   At long last, I finally got my hands on one of those mini-bundt-cake pans, the ones that make the fancy little bundts, 6 to a pan?   Yeah, from Freecycle!  I'm all excited. I've always wanted one.

So I made cakes in it, and now I know why she wanted to get rid of the thing. How do you clean them??   Everythign was well-greased and came out beautifully, but it left 'cake fur' behind, and that's miserable to clean out!  I had to go in there with my hand and physically dig into every crevasse, and I am NOT doing that every time.  There has to be a better way.

Suggestions?  Please?

Have you tried letting it soak a while?  When I make cupcakes or muffins and don't have the paper cups, I just give the pan a good soak for 20-30 minutes.  Most of it comes out pretty easily.  I realize a muffin tin doesn't have the crevasse issue but the 'fur' should be able to be rinsed right out.  We also have a dish brush, and that makes short work of hard-to-get-to spots.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7359 on: April 04, 2013, 11:20:28 AM »

Suggestions?  Please?

Have you tried letting it soak a while?  When I make cupcakes or muffins and don't have the paper cups, I just give the pan a good soak for 20-30 minutes.  Most of it comes out pretty easily.  I realize a muffin tin doesn't have the crevasse issue but the 'fur' should be able to be rinsed right out.  We also have a dish brush, and that makes short work of hard-to-get-to spots.

Or a baby-bottle brush. Those have bristles on the tips as well as sides.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7360 on: April 04, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
LadyJaneinMD wrote:

"So I made cakes in it, and now I know why she wanted to get rid of the thing. How do you clean them??   Everythign was well-greased and came out beautifully, but it left 'cake fur' behind, and that's miserable to clean out!  I had to go in there with my hand and physically dig into every crevasse, and I am NOT doing that every time.  There has to be a better way."

Use a bottle brush and it'll take no time at all to clean.

OK, on preview I see that Ms_Cellany suggested the same.  So I'm with her.

Virg

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #7361 on: April 04, 2013, 02:25:04 PM »

Could just be the brand of lenses, not your astigmatism. I wear the Acuvue 2s and I love them - other lenses feel horrible to me. So the brand of contacts is very personal and the chances of getting things right first time are low. The eye strain however would suggest that your prescription isn't right.

There's also one other thing - I flat out see better with contacts than glasses (I'm not imagining it there is a reason for it). It's possible that you work the reverse way.

I'll second the possibility of a different brand maybe working a bit better. I've worn Avairas for years, but there was recently a manufacturing issue that caused some batches to be recalled. My optometrist was recommending switching brands as a precaution. I wound up hating the samples he gave me and insisting on switching back. The lenses felt odd in my eyes - too thick and plastic-y - and as a result I felt more eyestrain as well. I would definitely suggest a follow-up with your doc. Maybe she could try you on a second sample brand, and see if those felt more eye-friendly.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #7362 on: April 04, 2013, 02:30:27 PM »
Stupid question for contact wearers! These suckers feel weird and stuff keeps going out of focus. I have acuvue 2's and they are (i guess) soft plastic. Is this normal or what?

That usually means I put them in inside out.    :P

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7363 on: April 04, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »

Suggestions?  Please?

I clean all my Bundt and muffin tins the same way. Place in sink, run hot water over with soap, let soak for 5-10 minutes. Use a dish brush to loosen any remaining debris. Run soapy water again, then rinse and let dry.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7364 on: April 04, 2013, 06:55:28 PM »

When you say brand new do you mean you literally have started wearing lenses for the first time in the last few days? If so, you might find they'll settle down in a day or two. I found that the first time I wore them and, particularly, the first time I switched to soft lenses that I really noticed that every time I blinked they shifted ever so slightly and noticed them moving around and briefly losing focus. Which is just the lens moving a little when you blink.  I was told this was very common and after a day or two your eyes get used to this which I did find. I had to build up my wear time initially - 2 hours the first day then 3, 4, 6 etc until by the end of the week I was wearing them for the full day. After a few days full wear I had to go back to have a check that they were fitting correctly which they were but I'd already lost the feeling that they were shifting around by that point anyway.

I was hoping for that too, but when I wore them last night, they shifted so much and are possible too weak of a prescription or something, that now my eyes are strained >.<