Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1058685 times)

Betelnut

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #7365 on: April 04, 2013, 07:43:34 PM »
Speaking of contacts (uh boy, is this a stupid question), do colored contacts color your view?  If not, why?  Is the center clear?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7366 on: April 04, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Speaking of contacts (uh boy, is this a stupid question), do colored contacts color your view?  If not, why?  Is the center clear?

Your pupil is what takes in the images, so I don't imagine it would tint your vision unless you got something like cat eyes.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7367 on: April 04, 2013, 09:08:54 PM »

Some are clear in the middle and some are just a colored blob covering the whole middle of the lens.  The colored ones do change your whitebalance a bit - less than cheap sunglasses but more than regular glasses do.  It's enough to be noticeable when you first put them on (or if you only have one eye in) and enough you probably don't want to do any finicky color-sensitive work like interior design.

snowfire

« Reply #7368 on: April 05, 2013, 02:10:23 AM »
I wore contacts before I had Lasik.  I loved the colored ones but had to get the ones with clear centers.  Colored contact + color grading diamonds = BAD IDEA.

P.S.  I had one pair that apparently had something in the color dye that made them glow a bit under ultraviolet light.  DH and I were playing a lot of laser tag at the time...which is usually lit by a lot of UV.  I guess I weirded out some folks who saw my eyes glowing like a cat.  ;D  Unfortunately, I never got pictures of the phenomena.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7369 on: April 05, 2013, 09:28:51 PM »
How do I get my dehydrator trays clean? I have soaked them in hot soapy water and scrubbed at them with a brush, but I cannot totally get them clean. Granted, if I went at every single little square with a toothpick or some such, I could probably do it, but that would metaphorically take forever. Is there a simpler way?

(I have the grated, circular kind.)

I run my smoke colored plastic dehydrator trays through the dishwasher, air dry, scrub them with a brush, then run them AGAIN through the dishwasher before boxing them up for storage.  Then I break VorGuy's head by running them through the dishwasher before allowing him to put raw food (especially meat) on them to dry.....

The food isn't cooked - I want those trays as close to sterile as they can get before leaving raw meat on them to dry for fourteen or eighteen hours......or however long a batch takes!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7370 on: April 05, 2013, 09:31:53 PM »
I agree with your reasoning and method, VorFemme.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7371 on: April 06, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
I guess I should have mentioned that I don't have a dish washer unless you count me.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Iris

« Reply #7372 on: April 06, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »
I guess I should have mentioned that I don't have a dish washer unless you count me.

I haven't washed a dehydrator tray as such but my pre dishwasher method of cleaning very difficult things was to alternate soaking in very hot soapy water for around 10 minutesand rubbing with a brush/bottle brush (whichever suited best) until things were cleaned to my satisfaction. For really bad things I would soak overnight.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7373 on: April 06, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »

That's the very same dishwasher brand my mother had for years & years when I lived at home.  She did some dishes,  Lil Sis did some dishes, and Lil VorFemme did some dishes every week.  Until Not-So-Lil VorFemme got married and Lil Sis went off to college and my two brothers got handed the dishwashing chores.....talk about flabbergasted!  Those two never saw dishwashing coming their way!

But soaking in hot soapy water until the "stuff" softens, scrubbing with a dishwashing brush, and rinsing in HOT water would work. 

Rinsing in boiling water (scalding is the term Mom used when doing it to canning jars, in my youth) would probably be enough after getting them out to use again from storage.  A sealed plastic bag to keep odd things from taking up residence in the trays never hurts........
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7374 on: April 06, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »

That's the very same dishwasher brand my mother had for years & years when I lived at home.  She did some dishes,  Lil Sis did some dishes, and Lil VorFemme did some dishes every week.  Until Not-So-Lil VorFemme got married and Lil Sis went off to college and my two brothers got handed the dishwashing chores.....talk about flabbergasted!  Those two never saw dishwashing coming their way!

But soaking in hot soapy water until the "stuff" softens, scrubbing with a dishwashing brush, and rinsing in HOT water would work. 

Rinsing in boiling water (scalding is the term Mom used when doing it to canning jars, in my youth) would probably be enough after getting them out to use again from storage.  A sealed plastic bag to keep odd things from taking up residence in the trays never hurts........

I grew up with a dishwasher, so the by hand only came when I started paying my own rent..

I soak them in hot soapy water, use a brush to scrub, rinse, try repeating the method, and there are still little bits of meat stuck in the corners.  Maybe it's the brush I'm using?

Kind of looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Household-Scrub-Brush/dp/B00004OCL3
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7375 on: April 06, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »
I find that a soak in very hot water with some baking soda loosens most gunk and food.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7376 on: April 07, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »
Stupid question for contact wearers! These suckers feel weird and stuff keeps going out of focus. I have acuvue 2's and they are (i guess) soft plastic. Is this normal or what?

Not stupid, and not normal at all. Go right back to your optician/opthalmologist and get this taken care of.

There are a number of reasons this could be happening, but in my experience, it sounds like the lenses aren't fitting to your eyes properly. My eyes have a weird contour (some dips in odd places) so getting lenses that fit well was a big challenge. Lenses with the same curvature from different manufacturers (or even different types within one manufacturer) would fit differently. Or, it could simply be because the optician didn't do a good job checking for the curvature of your eyes and went with "close enough."

Is this one pair or do you have the same issue with multiple pairs? Manufacturing isn't an exact science for these things and I've had a few bad lenses in a lot.

MonteCristo's point about putting them on inside out is another good one. Been there, done that!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7377 on: April 07, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »
Why do utility trucks always put a cone in front when parked, and why do they always back into a space?

mmswm

« Reply #7378 on: April 07, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »
Why do utility trucks always put a cone in front when parked, and why do they always back into a space?

I can answer this question for at least one major telephone company.  The likelihood of an accident while backing out of a parking spot is far higher than driving out forwards or backing in, therefore they require their drivers to back in.  The orange cone is supposed to be on the passenger side to force other drivers to swing in such a manner that they avoid parking too close, reducing the risk of clipping a car parked next to them while they are pulling out.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Syfygeek

« Reply #7379 on: April 08, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »
Whew, made it to the end, and I have learned so much!

But I have a question now- what is Fibromyalgia? A friends 24 y/o DD was diagnosed last year with Fibromyalgia.  All I know is that it's a nerve thing, can anyone give me more info? I don't want medical advice, just want to understand.
That's my purse! I don't know you!